NoGi Worlds 2018

That sums up most of the takedown vs pull guard debate.

-Guard pulling sucks, then I'm stuck in the guard

-But where would you be if you got the takedown

-Stuck in the guard

I know that most guys imagine that they will go straight to mount or side control after every takedowns but they actually get stuck in halfguard most of the time. Maybe it's the satisfaction of getting those 2 points that changes their minds
"being on top" is a big disadvantage under IBJJF rules unless you swept your opponent to get there. without a -1 to force the guard puller into action, the match then becomes a battle where the top player has to do a very difficult thing to score (pass a black belt guard), while the bottom player has to do a relatively easy thing (sweep).
I wouldn't say being on bottom in the ultra heavyweight division is so good. There are a lot of matches when neither athlete wants to be on bottom.

Last edited:
I still think it's the best set out there for a comprehensive breakdown of how to submit someone once you've taken the back.
The other sets kind of skip the hand fighting part and often just offer a single trick. How strong do you feel the Danaher approach is? Playing around it seemed that even with all the cross grip controls it is still a fight rather than a formality. Is it more a winable battle that you get better with every hour spend or more of a done deal?

Is there any clip or compilation available of Ryan's matchs vs Cyborg? I'd like to see the slap fest..

The other sets kind of skip the hand fighting part and often just offer a single trick. How strong do you feel the Danaher approach is? Playing around it seemed that even with all the cross grip controls it is still a fight rather than a formality. Is it more a winable battle that you get better with every hour spend or more of a done deal?
I think it's pretty strong. I mean it doesn't tell you that it's a trick per say. It gives you a few key points to focus on. The big thing that sets it apart to me is it classifies 2 types of grips (straight or cross) and 2 sub-categories (direct or indirect). So a direct grip is you gripping them and an indirect grip is them gripping you. It presents a hierarchy of grip possibilities. So for example, the highest in the hierarchy would be 2 direct cross grips (meaning you have a cross grip on each of their wrists) which is the picture perfect "straitjacket" control because both of their arms are across their body.

It shows how to work your way towards getting direct cross grips. And if you can get double cross grips then you should finish every time. But even if you can't, it shows 3 other workable grip situations that are still decent to strong.

So I'd answer your question by saying it's a combo of both. This absolutely doesn't skip hand-fighting and lets you know it will be a fight, but it also shows you general pathways to 4 increasingly effective grips to help finish the RNC. Then it shows different ways to get under their chin for the choke and how to finish a clean "strangle" over the jaw if you can't get under the chin.

Then if you can't get to the RNC for whatever reason there is an entire volume/disc devoted to switching off to the reverse triangle or armbar instead.

but it also shows you general pathways to 4 increasingly effective grips to help finish the RNC.

So once you get the good cross grips you can finish good guys reliably without spending spending extreme amounts of time on it?

So once you get the good cross grips you can finish good guys reliably without spending spending extreme amounts of time on it?
Short answer is I think so if you are at least a purple or brown belt.

I've always had good back takes but without catching the RNC during the back take I was never very good at finishing them once the position was set and they got their defensive grips in place. If I couldn't finish the RNC in a minute I would just give up and attack the armbar instead. I would say my RNC finishing rate at the beginning of this year was maybe 40-50%. In just the past 4 months I'd say if I take the back of other brown belts or lower belts that it has improved to 75-80%.

If you can get a body triangle and fall to your under-arm side and you can get a cross grip on their top wrist you should mostly be able to finish people around your skill level.

If he wants to slap fight Gordon, I don’t think Eddie will have an issue to settle this up. I don’t think Gordon is going to be scared of cyborg either, dude is about to fight werdum and Barnett for fuck sakes.

Cyborg acted like a bitch.

tenor.gif

A few of the slaps were better-disguised, but perhaps only because Gordon was moving his head in a way that avoided that big slapping sound.

Very poor form on Cyborg's part.

A few of them your could pass off as him going really hard to get a collar tie. But there's a couple where he set it up and Gordon moved and you could see Cyborg kinda go "He's not there anymore I'll have to reach a bit more... arghhh eff it" /smack

Back