Nogi Velox Ranked

hamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Quick question - I love the look of the new Nogi Rashguards, but coming in ranked colors I'm a bit concerned. I'm not about to buy BJ Penn bb shorts when I dont have a bb... but the way the colors on the rashguard are placed, it looks alot more clean and plain as all black.

Anyone think this is stupid and just get it, or should i get my actual rank?

its a matter of personal preference. i recently picked up the line but have hesitated in putting it up because of that exact question. i have asked probably 100 different people and have gotten so many varied responses on it. ive talked to a bunch of guys who love the concept. but to be honest they were almost all either brown belt or black belts. the lower belt ranks didnt like these quite as much.

its up to you. my opinion is if you know what you are ranked then why advertise it on a shirt? and then on the flipside what do you do when you advance? time to throw it out.

I have the same dilemma. Does anyone know if a different brand that have a similar collar and half-sleeve design?

Don't feel bad about getting a black rashguard, you probably already own a few. In my opinion coloured sleeves don't need to be a sign of rank when you're training. It's a black rashguard, not the same as putting on a black belt at all.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. I actually like the color combo on the whitebelt rank one the best and I'm probably about to scoop that if I buy any of 'em. It's your money, get what you want.

Buying a ranked black rash guard is fine IMO since the whole thing is black. However buying like a purple one where just the sleeves are purple would be weird if you're not a purple belt.

I'm gonna pick one up when I get a chance. Looks awesome and I still wear my NoGi gear from years ago

Actually looking closer at the rash guard the black on the chest is different from the black on the sleeves, so maybe it would be a little weird.

And Velox is the name of the new rash guards that Nogi came out with.

its a matter of personal preference. i recently picked up the line but have hesitated in putting it up because of that exact question. i have asked probably 100 different people and have gotten so many varied responses on it. ive talked to a bunch of guys who love the concept. but to be honest they were almost all either brown belt or black belts. the lower belt ranks didnt like these quite as much.

its up to you. my opinion is if you know what you are ranked then why advertise it on a shirt? and then on the flipside what do you do when you advance? time to throw it out.

yeah that's how i feel - i'm pretty mixed about it. in the long run, does it matter? no.

at least not until someone comes to the gym, happens to be a bb, takes offense, and makes you hold his pocket til the sun comes up.

well don't you think the other people in class know what belt you are anyway? so really it doesn't matter. the only time i see it mattering is in a comp, but at the same time people know what rank you are based on what division you signed up for, not the color of your rashguard. i mean i have rashguards that are black and blue, and black and red and i am neither a blue belt or a red belt. its just a design to me.

I don't think anyone would assume you're a black belt if you wear the black one.. just looks like a black rashguard.

Some tournaments (IBJJF) for one require you to wear one that shows your rank.

Quick question - I love the look of the new Nogi Rashguards, but coming in ranked colors I'm a bit concerned. I'm not about to buy BJ Penn bb shorts when I dont have a bb... but the way the colors on the rashguard are placed, it looks alot more clean and plain as all black.

Anyone think this is stupid and just get it, or should i get my actual rank?

If you don't plan on competing in the rash guard then get it in whatever color you want.

If you're going to compete in it then get one in your rank.

Back