Nogi popularity?

Why would anyone train with a gi? Are you going to use a gi in MMA? If god forbid you have to actually use BJJ in a confrontation, is your opponent going to put a gi on real fast?

Grab their collared shirt, coat, t-shirt, or whatever else it is they are wearing. And why would I need to be wearing a gi, except for a few chokes and controlling measures.

I'm from Nebraska. There is a shortage of people walking around in a rash guard and board shorts.

P.S. You are an idiot.

Grab their collared shirt, coat, t-shirt, or whatever else it is they are wearing. And why would I need to be wearing a gi, except for a few chokes and controlling measures.

I'm from Nebraska. There is a shortage of people walking around in a rash guard and board shorts.

P.S. You are an idiot.

Wow you must be behind on style. Here in Canada everyone wears board shorts and rashguards! I can't believe people in Nebraska wear gis around. OMGGOMGOGOGGOMGOM Look ma, I'm BWC and I'm trolling.

My coach received his blackbelt from Rigan Machado, and has trained under Rickson, Royce, and Renzo. Basically he has trained with the best in the world and is a world class practitioner. Obviously he developed his game with a gi.

And he HATES the gi. We train completely gi-free.

The gi tradition is nothing more than a way for traditionalists to maintain control over the art. No gi is more difficult because it requires more technical expertise. I truly believe you will get better much faster training no-gi as you can't resort to pulling on the collar or sleeves which really is a great way to avoid proper technique.

Train no-gi..
lol at nogi requiring more technical expertise

OK, this is devolving into a no-gi vs gi argument. We are trying to avoid that no?

Iirc Marcelo has way more no gi instructionals than gi ones. Guys like drysdale have put out only no gi DVDs. Heck ni

I think there is less no gi videos because more people train with a gi. All the schools in my area usually train with the gi and they usually have one day of no gi. On gi days there are at least 20 people every class. On no gi days sometimes only 1 or2 people show up.

thats probably because you drop in and dominate all the purple belts, they're scared

I think nogi is very popular and I can see it becoming more popular than gi as time goes on. I prefer gi, but it seems like a lot of young high school kids who also wrestle want to just do nogi.

i dont see how people dont realise that weither you train gi or no gi, your still grappling... the only way to evolve your grappling game is to? you got it, to grapple

actually i like wearing my gi against a person who isn't. makes it pretty challenging.

i just started grappling training this month and i do gi twice weekly and no gi twice a week. i figured its good to have both. plus, more time on the mat is always a positive.

also, have you guys never heard of erik paulson? he has tons of stuff for no gi.

CSW Products ? CSW Training Center

his stuff is more mma related i guess, but its still great stuff.

Actually, BWC has a point, though it's not limited to one particular family's influence. The predominant point of view (though there's a growing number of people who disagree with it) is the gi is not only crucial but mandatory for BJJ training - so much so that most schools won't recognize rank without it (how much people should care about rank vs. ability is a whole different discussion). This is largely a matter of tradition and inertia: the Japanese used the gi, they taught judo to Brazilians using the gi, the art spread around Brazil using the gi, Brazilians spread the art to other countries using the gi, and therefore most people who've learned BJJ to this point have done so with the gi. It logically follows then that most people will back the gi as a necessary training tool, claim that it's "more technical" than no-gi, and that most high level competitors will have spent a good deal of their time training in the gi.

However, now that the art has spread to the US (which has both a long tradition of no-gi grappling and a massive population), we're going to see more and more legitimate BJJ black belts who prefer the no-gi game and choose to run their schools predominantly or entirely without the gi. This is already beginning to happen, but there aren't enough of them yet to make an impact, either in terms of numbers or prestige. Brazilians (again, the vast majority of whom have traditionally been gi-users) still dominate the art because it hasn't been widespread outside of Brazil long enough for there to be significant numbers of BJJ competitors in other countries who started training at an early age. Now, however, we're getting to the point where the kids in places like the Midwest where they start wrestling at a young age are also starting to learn BJJ early on as well, and in another 15 years or so those kids are going to start earning black belts and dominating competitions. And that's when the no-gi game will start becoming more and more respected as a separate but equal form of submission grappling, and we'll see more quality no-gi schools and instructionals.

Actually, BWC has a point, though it's not limited to one particular family's influence. The predominant point of view (though there's a growing number of people who disagree with it) is the gi is not only crucial but mandatory for BJJ training - so much so that most schools won't recognize rank without it (how much people should care about rank vs. ability is a whole different discussion). This is largely a matter of tradition and inertia: the Japanese used the gi, they taught judo to Brazilians using the gi, the art spread around Brazil using the gi, Brazilians spread the art to other countries using the gi, and therefore most people who've learned BJJ to this point have done so with the gi. It logically follows then that most people will back the gi as a necessary training tool, claim that it's "more technical" than no-gi, and that most high level competitors will have spent a good deal of their time training in the gi.

However, now that the art has spread to the US (which has both a long tradition of no-gi grappling and a massive population), we're going to see more and more legitimate BJJ black belts who prefer the no-gi game and choose to run their schools predominantly or entirely without the gi. This is already beginning to happen, but there aren't enough of them yet to make an impact, either in terms of numbers or prestige. Brazilians (again, the vast majority of whom have traditionally been gi-users) still dominate the art because it hasn't been widespread outside of Brazil long enough for there to be significant numbers of BJJ competitors in other countries who started training at an early age. Now, however, we're getting to the point where the kids in places like the Midwest where they start wrestling at a young age are also starting to learn BJJ early on as well, and in another 15 years or so those kids are going to start earning black belts and dominating competitions. And that's when the no-gi game will start becoming more and more respected as a separate but equal form of submission grappling, and we'll see more quality no-gi schools and instructionals.

Why do you pick on BJJ and the brasilians?

NOGI: grappling with rash guard and short.

What about the grappling arts?

Back