Nogi popularity?

i dont understand how people can say no gi cant help your gi game... of course it can, learning to control somebody with very minimal grips in no gi is hard, and when you train in the gi, having all these grips opens many different ways to control your opponent. also no gi will help your ability to scramble and think quicker, improving your cardio.

My coach received his blackbelt from Rigan Machado, and has trained under Rickson, Royce, and Renzo. Basically he has trained with the best in the world and is a world class practitioner. Obviously he developed his game with a gi.

And he HATES the gi. We train completely gi-free.

The gi tradition is nothing more than a way for traditionalists to maintain control over the art. No gi is more difficult because it requires more technical expertise. I truly believe you will get better much faster training no-gi as you can't resort to pulling on the collar or sleeves which really is a great way to avoid proper technique.

Train no-gi..

My coach received his blackbelt from Rigan Machado, and has trained under Rickson, Royce, and Renzo. Basically he has trained with the best in the world and is a world class practitioner. Obviously he developed his game with a gi.

And he HATES the gi. We train completely gi-free.

The gi tradition is nothing more than a way for traditionalists to maintain control over the art. No gi is more difficult because it requires more technical expertise. I truly believe you will get better much faster training no-gi as you can't resort to pulling on the collar or sleeves which really is a great way to avoid proper technique.

Train no-gi..

Train both when possible for maximum knowledge. Stop turning this into an argument you fucking whitebelt ***got.

Train both when possible for maximum knowledge. Stop turning this into an argument you fucking whitebelt ***got.

Why would anyone train with a gi? Are you going to use a gi in MMA? If god forbid you have to actually use BJJ in a confrontation, is your opponent going to put a gi on real fast?

Gi is only useful for competitions. But attitudes like this one here is what keeps no-gi instruction as second-tier basically. It's very hard to find a good instructor who likes to teach no-gi. Any Gracie-affiliated school or instructor MUST teach in a gi. Since Gracie is the big "brand" of BJJ, then this is very harmful to no-gi teachers. Every school wants to be "Gracie" along with teachers who put up videos. The Gracie name sells. This is why gi still prevails..

thsi is an interesting question actuially.... i think i agree with the TS, there really is a lack of basic nogi material out there (comparatively) possibly its just due to brazilians still producing most sets & them havng a preference for the gi?

Why would anyone train with a gi? Are you going to use a gi in MMA? If god forbid you have to actually use BJJ in a confrontation, is your opponent going to put a gi on real fast?

Gi is only useful for competitions. But attitudes like this one here is what keeps no-gi instruction as second-tier basically. It's very hard to find a good instructor who likes to teach no-gi. Any Gracie-affiliated school or instructor MUST teach in a gi. Since Gracie is the big "brand" of BJJ, then this is very harmful to no-gi teachers. Every school wants to be "Gracie" along with teachers who put up videos. The Gracie name sells. This is why gi still prevails..

this is not a gi vs nogi thread retard, GTFO & go search for one of the 2,000 threads where that arguments has already been humped to death

thsi is an interesting question actuially.... i think i agree with the TS, there really is a lack of basic nogi material out there (comparatively) possibly its just due to brazilians still producing most sets & them havng a preference for the gi?

this is not a gi vs nogi thread retard, GTFO & go search for one of the 2,000 threads where that arguments has already been humped to death

Well genius if you look at the second part of my response, you see my answer. Every BJJ teacher, whether it's live training or media want to be affiliated with Gracie. The Gracie "brand" dominates the BJJ market. Since to put "Gracie" on anything you produce you must train in a gi, then the gi dominates. No one is going to buy a DVD titled John Smith's No-gi BJJ. Slap Gracie on there though and people pay attention..

Listen here you trollfaced fuckhead, I do only nogi, but I still see the merits of gi training. Stop trying to start a debate in the wrong thread and stop trolling.

Well genius if you look at the second part of my response, you see my answer. Every BJJ teacher, whether it's live training or media want to be affiliated with Gracie. The Gracie "brand" dominates the BJJ market. Since to put "Gracie" on anything you produce you must train in a gi, then the gi dominates. No one is going to buy a DVD titled John Smith's No-gi BJJ. Slap Gracie on there though and people pay attention..

my coach trains us in nogi regularly and we are gracie affiliated..?

Most Gracie schools have some no-gi, but it's just not the primary form. Trust me, another black belt here in AZ tried to put Gracie on his sign and logo and he trained no-gi. He was shut down in a heartbeat. The Gracie's are rabid about their brand...

Most Gracie schools have some no-gi, but it's just not the primary form. Trust me, another black belt here in AZ tried to put Gracie on his sign and logo and he trained no-gi. He was shut down in a heartbeat. The Gracie's are rabid about their brand...

You're clearly rabid about your trolling.

You're clearly rabid about your trolling.

Oh pound sand tool. Who are you to be calling anyone anything. Are the grand master of BJJ knowledge? No you're just an asshat with a superiority complex..

if BWC keeps shedding light on the giant gracie gi conspiracy he will be kille dpertty soon....

Oh pound sand tool. Who are you to be calling anyone anything. Are the grand master of BJJ knowledge? No you're just an asshat with a superiority complex..

Is your mother's name "Sand"?

I'm guessing your username stands for "Big Witless ****". It's quite accurate, good name choice.

Boohoo go cry, trollface.

if BWC keeps shedding light on the giant gracie gi conspiracy he will be kille dpertty soon....

A conspiracy? Please, they are very public about the mandatory gi training. I'm not a10th planet practitioner, but EB has discussed it in length..

A conspiracy? Please, they are very public about the mandatory gi training. I'm not a10th planet practitioner, but EB has discussed it in length..

Go troll the heavies.

I think there is less no gi videos because more people train with a gi. All the schools in my area usually train with the gi and they usually have one day of no gi. On gi days there are at least 20 people every class. On no gi days sometimes only 1 or2 people show up.

Back