Nogi popularity?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bruce Calavera, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but it seems like most people get into BJJ via an interest in MMA(at least in the U.S.). If this assumption is correct, why isn't there a greater amount of nogi information, instructionals, etc.

It seems like any big name competitor either puts out exclusively gi material or highly skewed toward gi information. For example Marcelo, Robson, and Saulo all have nogi instructionals but have a lot more gi instructionals. Obviously this is because there are more options for the gi giving a greater bank of techniques. However, all 3 have nogi instructions that are anything but basic proving that nogi isn't just a very basic version of gi.

However people like Cyborg, Maia, Jacare have only put out gi instructionals. This I feel is interesting because (aside from Cyborg) they are known widely for their nogi MMA technique.

Then there's by far the most popular video for BJJ, Mastering the Rubber Guard which is devoted to nogi and has helped EB start an cult army of followers.

Seeing as that most people who practice are WBs who think they can learn everything from watching videos (yes I was one) wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a greater deal of nogi info economically? It's basic supply and demand. It's just kind of lame that there is all this amazing gi instruction but very few good, well explained, nogi material. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

All I know is that I'm never doing no gi again without a long sleeve rashguard and gi pants. Fucking staph ...

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah and it does seem like there's an untapped market of basement grapplers and backyard brawlers who "train" no-gi mostly on YouTube and their kid brothers. If someone came out with a good no-gi instructional DVD with explanations in fluent English and that cost less than $30 I think it would sell like hotcakes.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

and also, just reading so many of these crap threads about how long it takes to get stripes and belts sometimes makes me want to just do no-gi!

5. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

oops double post...

6. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

My experience is that training no gi will not make you any better at gi, but training gi will translate over some and make you better at no gi.
    Anyone with limited experience can get out of a sweaty ass no-gi armbar, but if you can escape in a gi, then you will have no problems in no gi.
    So needless to say I am somewhat bias and believe everyone should learn techniques in gi first then transition over to no gi. I think it just makes a better grappler out of you.

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I don't think you read what TS wrote at all. Please, for GOD'S SAKE do NOT turn this into another gi vs. no-gi thread! :mad:

8. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

The title spoke to me.

Nogi popularity?

Yes, it puzzles me too.

9. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

There were no gi classes at my school. Now there are not. I think I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the classes.

10. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

imo it's loved and hated for the same reason; it's fast and dynamic. either u enjoy that, or it's just tiring and scary.
    i love it.

11. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

I come from a wrestling background and I only really transitioned to ju jitsu through judo so while I may not like the gi I do realize that I need to compete in it for two reasons
    1- I need to train in a gi to make rank
    2- I like to compete and two divisions are better than just no-gi
    And if I want to compete in gi I should probably train in the gi as well

My only real qualm with the gi is that I sometimes have trouble fine tuning some submissions because I can't find my opponent's elbow. That's just griping though.

12. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

maybe wrestling/mma instructionals covers all the stuff you really need?

isn't there alotta CATCH material out there? BJJers to pretentious to use those resources?

there are leglocks series out there

Somebody has got an darce/brabo(an area I am lacking in) thing out no?

13. StranGold**

StranGold** Banned Banned

you sound like a 10th pjj guy

:p

14. StranGold**

StranGold** Banned Banned

i am still learning how to read.

15. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Sorry, yeah I kinda took it there. But the point I was trying to make is that I think the high level guys really understand the importance of the gi, therefore, when they do put out instructionals, they feel its imperative to cover what they feel are the most important aspects to the game, hence the gi material. Plus it's how most of those guys learned and they probably feel like a little bit of tradition is necessary in BJJ.

Just think about how much time and money it requires to produce one of these DVD sets. It takes hours and hours of filming, then you have production costs, editing time, and promotion and packaging. It isn't cheap, hence the price tag.

So when you confront someone as busy as Demian Maia with a task as daunting as this, and they have the option of gi or no gi, it's kind of a no brainer for someone like that.

Now on the other hand, there are going to always be people who don't care, people who are just trying to make a buck, and people who are just marketing gurus. And I am not saying everyone out there with no gi material is in this boat. But honestly I would rather spend my hard earned money on something put out by someone who I can tell is genuinely interested in putting out the best material they can.

That being said, I do own a lot of no gi material, Ryan Hall, Marcelo, Saulo, The Rubber Guard set, hell I think I even have some of the notorious B Quick stuff laying around here. I do find a lot of good info in them but honestly they don't get as much play time as the gi instructionals I have.

But what it all boils down to (in my own personal opinion) is the age old debate of the McDojo-ification of BJJ. Sure you will be able to profit off of what the public wants rather than what they need. It's obvious that collectively as a society we are surprisingly dumb. The most intellectually devoid of any types of productions are generally what become the most popular pieces of pop culture. Just look at those horrendous Twilight movies.

So in short, yes the popularity of no gi could make someone very rich. Noobs are always gonna go for something like the 1001 Submissions DVDs. But are the folks that buy this crap really the ones you want to attract to BJJ?
    just my $0.02...

Sorry for the long post, I got kinda typey.:icon_chee

16. irc

irc Brown Belt

no gi rewlz.

17. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Maybe because there aren't as many MMA fighters making instructional videos than pure BJJ traditionalists? Who knows man you bring up a good point.

18. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Are you high?

19. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    I'd be interested in an instructional that focuses on how to develop proper fundamentals WITHOUT use/requirement of Gi/previous Gi experience instead of an "O....I already assume you've been doing a Gi for awhile, he's a video on how to get that stuff to work without one" kind of instructional (even Eddie Bravo's instructionals are like this)

20. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

I just think it's kind of shitty that a lot of nogi videos just demonstrate technique that aren't necessarily gi dependent but are more suited for gi. I'd like some instructionals that take into account thing like...I dunno extreme amounts of sweat? I'm probably not going to be using too much spider guard in nogi yet I've seen nogi spider guard instructionals out there and passing feels completely different without the ability to grab the pants.They're 2 different games and people keep pretending that they're only 1.

Ryan Halls triangle DVD is ideal. Why on earth can't anyone else do that with as much clarity and gi/nogi biaslessness (not a word but fuck it). Nogi translates to gi much better than gi translates to nogi, or at least that's how I feel. Teach me how to properly control and break a sweaty arm and I'll break 5 canvas covered arms.