1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy Noam Chomsky- Requiem for the American Dream

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by cooks1, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM.

1. Prutfis Silver Belt

Surely blaming illegals for all your troubles while sucking corporate dick will fix it.

2. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

Oh so you are assuming the grass is gonna be greener on the other side for the majority that are quitting their jobs? in this economy?

I'm not making sense because you are viewing this with rose colored glasses as if this will lead to some grandiose millenial/zoomer utopia

Companies will get bailed out tenfold by the government before the people do. That much should make sense to you

3. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

That is this economy and there is plenty of data to prove it.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/10/the-labor-shortage-isnt-main-streets-biggest-problem.html

Unemployment is under 5% and there are 1 million more jobs available than people unemployed.

People are not leaving jobs for the dole. They are leaving for better jobs. Companies are having to pay more, and they are having to give back some of the benefits they took away over the last 20 years to get people on board.

We can certainly agree companies would get bailed out before people. But those that needed it have already received federal relief, and many are still profitable even without it. Who needs bailing out right now? Who will need to be bailed out soon?

And who the fuck is talking about a zoomer utopia? This is not some precariat renaissance. It's just that companies are having to start taking their dicks out of workers asses. The benefits employees are starting to get now were ones most people already had before the great recession. Companies took them away to get through it and just never gave them back. And these wage hikes are not even putting people ahead of the inflationary index going back to the great recession. If they do, it's just barely. There might be a few exceptions in the fast food industry, but that's pretty much it.

I will go back to my question to you- What would you have people do if you don't think they should quit their current jobs to take better ones with more money and benefits.

4. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

<Y2JSmirk>

you are asking me a question about Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster or Unicorns. Better jobs with more money and benefits? All these millions of jobs have been available all this time and only now the brilliant zoomers and millenials got it figured out.

The grass is always greener my friend. Power to the people. Spare me the propaganda links next time

Shadiata likes this.
  5. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

Haven't watched the video yet, but I found this line to be pretty funny. How many of his 150 or so books do you expect a layman who doesn't like him to read? 10? 20? 50? That's a lot of time to devote to affirming your disagreement with someone.

Cuauhtemoc, cooks1 and KeepingItReal like this.
  6. gluehuffer1776 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

i can blame both. after all its corporations that support this shit

7. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Interesting this is the question that you would ask. Rather than, 'Why would a layman who has hardly read anything he wrote have such a strong negative opinion about him?'

Thanks for proving my point I guess.

8. kenetics Gold Belt

Alot of blood was shedded and still is because of religion today, so no lol

9. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

You're expecting me to believe that if you read three or four of someone's most well-regarded books and disliked all of them, your response would be "well he has a hundred more. I can't have an opinion yet."? Sure

10. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Not really- No. But I do expect you to believe that the vast majority of the people hating on Noam have read none of his books.

11. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

Oh definitely. I imagine that very many of the people who claim to like or dislike intellectuals today have only watched clips of them on YouTube.

I just thought your statement implying that reading "a few" of someone's books is insufficient was funny.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 1:26 PM
  12. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Not really about gumption. Quit rates are just a measure of the leverage that workers have.

13. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

I agree that is the biggest factor. But far from the only one with the youngins'. They find work, as well as purchase, based on their ideologies and value systems to a much larger degree than any other generation.

I personally find a lot of S. Truett and Dan Cathy's beliefs disgusting. But that does not stop me from getting a Chick-Fil-A from time to time. But woe be unto me if my 13 year old daughter finds any of their packaging in the house or my car. And she is not unique in this regard.

14. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Could be. I don't have any confidence that that's an effective way to change things, but continuing to push the pedal to the metal on employment (and thus boost workers' leverage) is, IMO.

15. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Concur. At least for now. The youngest generations have by far the least purchase power. And their intellectual and work capital is the least valuable and most replaceable. Just like it has always been.

But in 40-50 years, the youngest generation will be among the oldest. And each generation born after them will be slightly more militant in these regards.

Personally I feel like it is the end game of what Noam discusses. Collective use of spending and employment choices to drive corporate change.

16. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Related: https://daily.jstor.org/how-america-tried-and-failed-to-solve-its-servant-problem/

cooks1 likes this.
  17. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

This is a classic example of what Noam talks about. Since they were unable to compel service due to the citizens freedom, they tried desperately to change attitudes and opinions.

It is interesting that in the end, the solution lied (at least in part) in fair wages and working conditions. Sure there are still plenty of cleaning services that pay shit wages to illegal immigrants and the working poor. But there are also loads of small owner operator cleaning services that are doing incredibly well.

We have an amazing cleaning team. It is a woman named Maria, her older sister, and her mother. Maria is the only one that speaks unbroken English. She is bright, enthusiastic, and super friendly.

We pay her $280 per month to come twice a month. And these 3 ladies fucking graft. It takes them about 2-3 hours, and our house is as clean as an operating room when they leave. They expect to clean, not tidy and pick up shit. And they fire customers that consistently do not have their houses ready to be cleaned.
    They work 5 days a week and once every blue moon on a Saturday when they get 'moving cleans' They clear a little over 10K a month. Not sure how they split it up, but that's not terrible pay for that work.

18. Prutfis Silver Belt

Im pretty sure it's the politicians who make the laws. Going back to union busting Reagan when it really started going downhill.