1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy Noam Chomsky- Requiem for the American Dream

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by cooks1, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM.

1. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Let's just say you should see the movie before you write the review. If I gave you a D- on your term paper after reading 3% of it, would you call it a fair assessment?

spacegnome likes this.
  2. Prutfis Silver Belt

Most people want to ignore the things Chomsky brings up.. THe average american worker has third world conditions but is more concerned with "his tribe".

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 10:08 AM
  3. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

So yeah 'the right' always says if you don't like it quit but is that the proper move at this time ?

Quitting at a time like this is counterproductive based on the fact that it gives the power back to the corporations.

Yay!! so a pat on the backs for having courage to drop out and one up the right wingers and the boomers but at what point is it cutting off their noses to spite their own faces ?

4. Natural Order Cosmic Alpha

Noam’s an intellectual heavyweight and that documentary is another example of why.

jimmas99 likes this.
  5. ICHEERTHEBULL Black Belt

Micheal Parenti is worth reading/listening to if you like Chomsky

6. MoparOrNoCar Silver Belt

I get what you're saying but the logic doesn't hold up in this case.

If you critique a post of mine, could I not use your logic and say you've only read .001% of my thoughts and have no room to criticize me until you read all of my posts?

If the guy wrote 5,000 books, which surely no one could ever read them all, would that mean that he is completely defended from criticism until someone out there dedicates their life to reading all of his books?

7. spacegnome Red Belt

it would mean you have no right to criticize any position he holds without reading the reasons why he holds them. hence you would have to read the book or books he has written on that position. your dumb analogy only works if the person only read one word of your post. also you are conflating a evolving conversation with a fully developed body of thought/research laid out in a book.

dum dum dum dum dum.

cooks1 likes this.
  8. MoparOrNoCar Silver Belt

Exactly so his 150 books are irrelevant if you're criticizing his opinion in whatever piece of literature you've read by him.

9. spacegnome Red Belt

huh?

10. MoparOrNoCar Silver Belt

The original post which I was referring to in the first place talks about 150 books.....never mind lol. It's not even worth explaining. I agree with you though.

11. spacegnome Red Belt

<TheWire1>{<redford}

MoparOrNoCar likes this.
  12. tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Trainers HATE Noam

cooks1 and HARRISON_3 like this.
  13. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

I read all of your post before I call your post a shit post. I do not call YOU shit. Nor your other posts. Just that post. Which is, in fact, shit, based on my full reading of the entirety of it. I try not to make a larger deduction about you or your other posts based on that one post, which was read in full, and shit.

Read one of his books- You can with credibility call that book shit if that's how you feel. Read 5, you can with credibility critique those.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    MoparOrNoCar likes this.
  14. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

How does quitting a job and moving on to one with better pay and working conditions give power back to corporations? More importantly, what is your alternative? Stay and work for less, or quit and don't get another job? You are not making a lot of sense.

Sohei likes this.
  15. foxnewsfan Black Belt

I sure hope not since the guy is a linguist and not an economist.

16. foxnewsfan Black Belt

I don't think the data reflects that.

17. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

It does.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

There are more jobs available than unemployed people to fill them. Wages are going up. And companies are having to start offering benefits just to get people on board. These benefits, by the way, were things most employees used to have. But were whittled away over the last 25 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/10/the-labor-shortage-isnt-main-streets-biggest-problem.html

18. foxnewsfan Black Belt

so you are saying that people are quitting the large corporations, with benefits, to find a job at a small business that can't afford to offer those benefits.

19. gluehuffer1776 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

surely millions of illegals will solve these third world conditions

20. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

No- I am saying people are quitting jobs in companies large and small to go to other jobs with better pay. Some of those companies, large and small, not only offer better pay, but additional benefits. From the article:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/10/the-labor-shortage-isnt-main-streets-biggest-problem.html
    While some of these 'new' benefits are truly new, most are in fact old benefits that many employees used to have, but were chiseled away over the last couple decades. People don't really realize just how much employers took away during the great recession, and never returned. They should really look at that.