no weight training...

pottro563

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Long story short,my heart stopped beating twice in a 2 hour period and I am having a heart monitor put in my chest. I will have the monitor for 6-12 months and all doctors have forbidden any weight lifting or supplements...This is devistating news to me, because I am now finally starting to see my goals being met and surpassing goals I have set for myself. The times may change, but I have grownrain so fond of my trainging and I love doing it. So I guess, what can somebody do to stay as strong as possible with out strength training? I guess this is more of a vent than an actual strength and conditioning topic, but people who don;t train do not understand what this news means. The doctors do not care if training is a passion and lifestyle. The set rules and expect you to follow them. Becoming a cardio bunny is not something that sounds appealing to me either...

That sucks man. But you'll just have to accept it down the road, I mean, this is your life we're talking about.

Long story short,my heart stopped beating twice in a 2 hour period and I am having a heart monitor put in my chest. I will have the monitor for 6-12 months and all doctors have forbidden any weight lifting or supplements...This is devistating news to me, because I am now finally starting to see my goals being met and surpassing goals I have set for myself. The times may change, but I have grownrain so fond of my trainging and I love doing it. So I guess, what can somebody do to stay as strong as possible with out strength training? I guess this is more of a vent than an actual strength and conditioning topic, but people who don;t train do not understand what this news means. The doctors do not care if training is a passion and lifestyle. The set rules and expect you to follow them. Becoming a cardio bunny is not something that sounds appealing to me either...

death isn't much of a lifestyle

Not trying to be a new age zen douchebag here, but if there's one thing I've taken from martial arts, it's patience and the ability to gain clarity and perspective on things that bum me out sometimes. Do what you can get away with doing and nothing more. I know it sucks, and things could definitely be better but they could be worse also. See what your doctor thinks of body weight exercises (pushups, crunches, squats, etc.). Good luck, man.

Be glad your alive. Some things just arn't worth dying for.

Offer me A 1995 dimas like day and I might give my life for that.

I had to google it and im guessing its a guitar or a greek guy?

What use would it be to you if you were dead? Just wonderin' :wink:

I had to google it and im guessing its a guitar or a greek guy?

What use would it be to you if you were dead? Just wonderin' :wink:

Its not about having a use. Its about doing something no one has done before. Some people want to walk on mars, but me ? I just want to put 500 overhead.

Its not about having a use. Its about doing something no one has done before. Some people want to walk on mars, but me ? I just want to put 500 overhead.

Well put, I can see where your coming from.

Pottro - I'm glad you posted this, not for the amusement or exploitation of whatever is happening to you but it's a hard hitting thread. You haven't posted how it came about or what is expected in the future but I've started growing to rely on all the things I have, from my health to my mental sanity.
I don't have any advice for you and I don't even know how you must be feeling but I wish you well and would be interested to see any follow up to this.
If you believe in God, then call on him - if you don't then please accept my get well soon wishes.

Endurance training isn't necessarily that bad. Is high~ish intensity endurance exercise on fully-body activities like swimming and rowing, or even boxing/MT, out of limits for you? Maybe you could start with low-intensity work (which would be a good idea, anyway) and in the meantime ask your doctors for specifics, as in can you work at/above the anaerobic threshold, how soon will you be able to work up to VO2max intensities, etc.

Also, you could spend that time learning new skills. Doing low-intensity BJJ technique work might be a viable option.

It is good to see encouragement here. I'm only 26 years old have and never had any prior conditions, so this whole thing came as a shock. I promied myself no matter happens I must not Crossfit! Haha, all in all I am hopeful to get an ok to return to m y training, I have came a long waay and would hate to see all of me gains vanish.

I would follow the docs advice. The problem is that it is not known what the problem is with your heart, diagnosis is difficult, and I would seriously just follow the doc's advice.

Anything you do consider doing, like stretching, yoga, or something; I would pass this by with the doc to see what they have to say and if they give you a pass to do it.

I think the doc was meaning to not create exertion on the cardio system; so nothing more than stretching, light walking, not lifting heavy things, etc. But again, any addition past daily activities you should get a pass from the doc on. I thin they should have given you a paper with a list of things you cannot do, and recs for things you can do, at least that is my knowledge and experience with situations like this.

Good luck to you.

The four walls and iron should just be to prepare and condition ourselves for life outside, not be our life.

Get out and go rock climbing, mountain biking, running, etc. Use what you've gained and enjoy life.

are you allowed to swim? It sure as hell wouldn't replace lifting, but for an all-around fitness maintenance pursuit, it may be one of your best options right now. If you dedicate yourself to learning technique, you could honestly do yourself a favor in terms of mobility for the long-term by working with swimming. Also, ugh, I can't believe I'm advocating this, but how about yoga? Again, mobility. You'll lose during this period. You will lose LESS if you can manage to hang on or, heck, maybe even improve your mobility. There are ways to do this that are not lifting-related and do not require the intensity of effort that lifting does. If you improve your mobility, you are putting yourself in an extremely good position to come back. And you CAN come back. People have come back from worse--yes, I said it, worse. You can overcome this. Focusing on maintaining joint mobility is one of the ways to do so.

I wish you the best and hope you can find a training routine that does not include strength that will fulfil you.

Can you do any sort of body weight training? I can recommend that. There are some great body weight programs out there. I think there is a book or something called Gym Less or No Gym that helps out. I never tried it.

I have tried using one of the Navy Seal fitness guide workout, which is pure body weight and I have noticed increase in muscle endurance and overall strength. Though not at the gains I would have gotten if I did weight training.

I think you should find a sport or activity that you feel passionate about. I am not a cardio guy either I much rather would lift a barbell then run for a hour. But I found doing grappling gives me great cardio and is very enjoyable. One thing that I got into lately was climbing it gives me a great workout and I do feel like I am staying strong even when I dont lift.

I hope you find something.

Back