No racks: should I skip barbell squats?

Progressive overload is limited bro.

Yeah, but you can hold dumbells too, also add in a pause or slow down the eccentric etc. One legged is great.

I work in front squats, split squats, barbell reverse lunges, single dumbell over head step ups is a favourite. Been doing landmine squats recently too, they are brutal on the trunk stability.

I love how varied one can get with a leg press and unilateral or staggered stance stuff floats by boat.

Sure I back squat too but it's not the focus, just once a week.

Yeah, but you can hold dumbells too, also add in a pause or slow down the eccentric etc. One legged is great.

I work in front squats, split squats, barbell reverse lunges, single dumbell over head step ups is a favourite. Been doing landmine squats recently too, they are brutal on the trunk stability.

I love how varied one can get with a leg press and unilateral or staggered stance stuff floats by boat.

Sure I back squat too but it's not the focus, just once a week.
Op doesnt have dumbbells bro.

So a little background. I have lifted weights before but have mostly done calisthetics.

About a year ago I started working out again and I got to 10 sets of 30 with my bodyweight stuff, just pushups and squats. I decided though that I was lacking in more brute strength so I switched to barbell stuff.

I don't have a bench right now. So basically I have to do a floor press instead of bench press and I have to power clean and throw the barbell on my back to squat. Because of this ive added power cleans to my regimine but I find them incredibly hard, and because of this my squat is incredibly lacking behind my deadlift and bench.

So should I keep power cleaning the barbell to squat like I'm doing or should I just wait until my bench comes in? Or just compensate by doing extra volume of squats with lighter weight?
If you need a rack I think Titan has some again

So did some zerchers and did back squats with a lower weight / higher reps so I didn't have to clean too much. I'm going to keep doing cleans though and now i don't have to do double the amount.

Just out of curiosity, why are the cleans so difficult?

Op doesnt have dumbbells bro.

All I mentioned can be done using a barbell landmine style. Can landmine pistol squat instead of overhead or just landmine squat to press.

Just takes some imagination, there's a lot of ways!

All I mentioned can be done using a barbell landmine style. Can landmine pistol squat instead of overhead or just landmine squat to press.

Just takes some imagination, there's a lot of ways!
You specifically said dumbbells bro.

There's also the Jefferson squat, I dont think I saw that one mentioned yet.

I'd get a rack if l were you but if you can't then I'd power clean to front squat.

That said my front squat one rep and ten rep max are only 45 pounds lower than my back squat one rep and 10 rep max.

So a little background. I have lifted weights before but have mostly done calisthetics.

About a year ago I started working out again and I got to 10 sets of 30 with my bodyweight stuff, just pushups and squats. I decided though that I was lacking in more brute strength so I switched to barbell stuff.

I don't have a bench right now. So basically I have to do a floor press instead of bench press and I have to power clean and throw the barbell on my back to squat. Because of this ive added power cleans to my regimine but I find them incredibly hard, and because of this my squat is incredibly lacking behind my deadlift and bench.

So should I keep power cleaning the barbell to squat like I'm doing or should I just wait until my bench comes in? Or just compensate by doing extra volume of squats with lighter weight?
Do you have good clips for the barbell? Consider Steinborn squats. Also, since you are already cleaning the weight, you could easily do front squats, and you will be putting more stimulus on the quads with the same amount of weight. Also look into Jefferson squats.

Also look into some actual progressions for calisthenics instead of just increasing volume forever if you are doing bodyweight stuff still. In place of bench, you can do one armed pushup progression or a planch pushup progression. For squat, pistol squats -> more challenging variants -> weighted pistol squats if needed.

reddit's bodyweightfitness sub should have some information on progressions for various movements.

Thanks I just looked that up and that is probably my best and safest bet. I currently suck at front squatting too. Im just afraid that not back squatting will hurt in the long run.
i’m basically a pussy, but i find front squats and deadlifts to be a great combo. overhead presses fit well for a man with just a bar.
i havent found what i like for biceps, yet. Snatch pulls, high pulls, bent over rows, curls.. pullups are too easy, im pretty light.

i’m basically a pussy, but i find front squats and deadlifts to be a great combo. overhead presses fit well for a man with just a bar.
i havent found what i like for biceps, yet. Snatch pulls, high pulls, bent over rows, curls.. pullups are too easy, im pretty light.

I do barbell curls just as an accessory excercise. You could do weighted pull ups.

Do you have good clips for the barbell? Consider Steinborn squats. Also, since you are already cleaning the weight, you could easily do front squats, and you will be putting more stimulus on the quads with the same amount of weight. Also look into Jefferson squats.

Also look into some actual progressions for calisthenics instead of just increasing volume forever if you are doing bodyweight stuff still. In place of bench, you can do one armed pushup progression or a planch pushup progression. For squat, pistol squats -> more challenging variants -> weighted pistol squats if needed.

reddit's bodyweightfitness sub should have some information on progressions for various movements.

I used to be able to do pistol squats. I might try and build back up to it.

I used to be able to do pistol squats. I might try and build back up to it.
I start with a door frame or pole out in front for balance/assist out of the hole. My favourite thing about them is the next progression up before normal pistols- they are easier if you hold small weight out in front of you

I start with a door frame or pole out in front for balance/assist out of the hole. My favourite thing about them is the next progression up before normal pistols- they are easier if you hold small weight out in front of you

I used the couch arm and progressed by doing quarter reps until I didn't need the couch and so on until I got to a full rep. I was doing incline one handed pushups too. Suprisingly i actually bulked up a lot from it.

Burpees too. I used to do the -1 rep thing starting from 20 reps and working down to 1.

I used the couch arm and progressed by doing quarter reps until I didn't need the couch and so on until I got to a full rep. I was doing incline one handed pushups too. Suprisingly i actually bulked up a lot from it.

Burpees too. I used to do the -1 rep thing starting from 20 reps and working down to 1.
Throw in a headstand pushup progression starting with a pike pushup, a pullup, and a rowing movement on a bar or rings or even under a.table and you've got yourself a well rounded workout.

Not read the other responses so might have already been mentioned.

Zercher squats/deadlifts are alright.
I wasn't allowed chalk in my uni gym way back when, so ended up doing zercher deadlifts (when I was more flexible).
I think I got to sets (no idea how many) of 3 with 160kg.
They'll be in my log. Whether that is the current log on sherdog or the old deleted one from 2003 to the current one, I cannot say.

I as well have not read the other comments.
Just wanted to say that back squatting without a rack is insane when there are so many safer and easier to load options to strengthen your legs.
Clean to Front Squat
Landmine Squat Variations
Goblet Squat Variations
Step-ups, Pistols, Skater Squats, Lunges, Split Squats, the list goes on and on

Back