No quit: What Max Rohskopf learned after UFC release and why he's returning to MMA

It’s complete bullshit the ufc cut him after he took that short notice fight (if I recall correctly) UFC should have gave him a second chance because he did them a favor .. anyhow, he’s still very young and hopefully he’s able to turn it around and make something out of his life

Glad to hear he's back. For the last year I've periodically googled his name and searched for his social medias, maybe like 4-5 times total. Evidently he will hate me saying this, but he's a talented kid. I'm always really scared after a fighter loses his first fight because a lot of times fighters lose themselves after an initial setback. I'm glad he's recovered, if he ever remakes his socials then I'll shoot him a word of encouragement. Can't wait to see him back in the cage.

People say "it's all mental" way too often, sometimes really the talent that comes from above isn't there. But for him, I genuinely believe if he stays in a good frame of mind, he will become a star someday.

Good, I'm an extremely big fan of his skillwise, but he has a lot of work to do to win me back after I proudly proclaimed he was a future potential UFC champion in the play by play thread and then he quit after two rounds.

It’s complete bullshit the ufc cut him after he took that short notice fight (if I recall correctly) UFC should have gave him a second chance because he did them a favor .. anyhow, he’s still very young and hopefully he’s able to turn it around and make something out of his life

He should know that quitting on your stool is basically a no go with Red Goof. If he'd gone back out there and given up his neck for a sub, he'd still have had a job, that's how you have to get out of fights you want out of in the UFC (I believe Kevin Lee did this against RDA).

No one likes a quitter but respect for him trying to redeem himself if he quit again that would suck

Good, I'm an extremely big fan of his skillwise, but he has a lot of work to do to win me back after I proudly proclaimed he was a future potential UFC champion in the play by play thread and then he quit after two rounds.

He should know that quitting on your stool is basically a no go with Red Goof. If he'd gone back out there and given up his neck for a sub, he'd still have had a job, that's how you have to get out of fights you want out of in the UFC (I believe Kevin Lee did this against RDA).

I assumed he'd asked the UFC to be cut due to either feeling embarassment or nowhere near ready for the big leagues.

he shouldn't have signed w the ufc, a lot of these under 10 fight fighters are getting signed to the ufc when they are obviously not ready

Reactions: SBC
No way he should have been brought back to UFC, he didnt belong there.

The whole quitting on the stool will follow him forever. I think the MMA media amd his coach did him a disservice by putting thebspotlight in him like that. The whole thing was a fiasco, I dont think he deserved that type of unwarranted attention. He really needs 5-8 other fights in the regional scene before trying the UFC again. Even then, IDK if Dana will ever let him back in.

I lost quiet a bit of money on him, too. He had some hype around him and was even an underdog against Hubbard. I think that fight showed his state of mind, those type of obstacles in your mind are not easily fixed, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I lost quiet a bit of money on him, too. He had quiet a hype around him and was an underdog against Hubbard. I think that fight showed his state of mind, those type of obstacles in your mind are not easily fixed, unfortunately.
I spoke to him a few weeks ago, training with Jake Shields at Xtreme Couture. He is in a good place, he has been teaching wrestling to kids, he is back on track with Robert Drysdale and training mma at xtreme. He needed this break. He is a talented kid with a rough background, so I understand what he went through. I think his management are the ones to blame, after pushing a 5-0 kid to take a last minute fight against a veteran. I wish him the best, great kid

I spoke to him a few weeks ago, training with Jake Shields at Xtreme Couture. He is in a good place, he has been teaching wrestling to kids, he is back on track with Robert Drysdale and training mma at xtreme. He needed this break. He is a talented kid with a rough background, so I understand what he went through. I think his management are the ones to blame, after pushing a 5-0 kid to take a last minute fight against a veteran. I wish him the best, great kid
Glad to hear he is doing better, it kind of seemed like he bought into his own hype too. He was calling forba UFC shot ever since he was like 3-0. Hopefully the experience made him a better fighter.

Back