No Pride No Life

PRIDE was cool but i don't understand the fanboyism about it. it's fighters were not miles ahead of the UFC's (even though they had more top fighters then the UFC at the time). To me PRIDE has became a "hipster thing" and is comparable to when people bring up the "90's".

For most, this 'hipster' bullshit is only spouted by people as a defense mechanism for feeling left out so they attack what they don't know/understand or necessarily "get".

If I think Pink Floyd are better than some popular rock band of today, does that make me a hipster? Its a load of immature bullshit drummed up by the weak minded with nothing else to cling to.

For fans who experienced Pride as it happened, there's nothing wrong with them comparing it to the UFC of then or now, or or prefering it... or even wishing the current UFC did some things the way pride had it (rules/scoring particularly). Yeah Pride wasn't perfect, but there was a shit load to like about it too...

qssgsm.jpg

Good times, good times.

motherfucker should have stuck to the gameplan

For most, this 'hipster' bullshit is only spouted by people as a defense mechanism for feeling left out so they attack what they don't know/understand or necessarily "get".

If I think Pink Floyd are better than some popular rock band of today, does that make me a hipster? Its a load of immature bullshit drummed up by the weak minded with nothing else to cling to.

For fans who experienced Pride as it happened, there's nothing wrong with them comparing it to the UFC of then or now, or or prefering it... or even wishing the current UFC did some things the way pride had it (rules/scoring particularly). Yeah Pride wasn't perfect, but there was a shit load to like about it too...

never said anything was wrong with it at all, my opinion is it is the "cool" thing to like. neither of us can prove either way so might as well leave people to their opinions. and calling me weak minded is not a great way to start a conversation, if you want to talk to me don't insult me first and i will be happy to "debate" or what not.

People fear what they don't understand. This fear then turns into hate.

You're correct that it's a defense mechanism that people have to make themselves feel better.

When you're left out of something, you develope irrational feelings torwards it, to compensate for that feeling of being of left. It's like when a kid doesn't get invited to a birthday party, and is like, "well that party probably sucks anyway".

Last edited:
never said anything was wrong with it at all, my opinion is it is the "cool" thing to like. neither of us can prove either way so might as well leave people to their opinions. and calling me weak minded is not a great way to start a conversation, if you want to talk to me don't insult me first and i will be happy to "debate" or what not.

Apologies if it came across harsh, and my comment wasn't directed at you necessarily, but more generally... The weak minded are those who tend to act bitterly towards people or things they can't identify with thus choose to be 'anti' whatever that is. This is where I think the source of this 'hipster' BS arises (IMO)

Pride is dead, and the ufc now is 10x better than pride ever was.

Loved Pride but really i do not miss those 40 minutes intros

UFC lacks the same level of showmanship that they think they are above because they pretend to be a professional sport like any other. Then they gave Chael a title shot...

Pfft, I remember pride 1 like it was yesterday.

From DVD.

They still have some Pride Parades. Find some buds and join the party.

To all those shitting on Pride guys, how many UFC guys from that time are still competing at the highest level?

We've got guys like the Nogs, Barnett, Rampage, Shogun, Hendo, Anderson, Overeem etc. all still in the top 10 and all still monsters, where are the UFC fighters who fought in the UFC during Pride's rule? Where's Chuck? Where are Timmeh and Arlovski? Babalu? Tito? Ricco? Buentello? Pe De Pano? Only guy that is still legit is Mir.
UFC had nothing on Pride, nothing! Lets look at what happened when the best UFC fighters at that time came to Pride or fought Pride guys:
Rizzo-uncrowned UFC HW champ, went to Pride and got destroyed and knocked out cold twice in a row.
Chuck-came to Pride because he was apparently the best MW in the world-got prison raped by Rampage. Chuck's one of the best the UFC ever did yet he's 2-3 against Pride guys.
Gan McGee-UFC HW contender, 0-2 in Pride
Tim Sylvia-arguably the UFC HW GOAT, 0-2 against Pride guys, finished in both
Andrei Arlovski-Former UFC HW champ, 1-2 against Pride guys, knocked out in both loses
Anderson got finished twice in Pride and went 3-2, yet he's 16-0 in the UFC

People say "Ahhh, Pride sucks!" because some of the Pride legends at an old age made a transition to America and lost either due to injuries or bad training or just a lack of motivation. I laugh the shit outta myself when people say that Fedor lost because it was a step up in competition, fucking Werdum and Hendo were in Pride and they were mid-tier guys in their respective divisions, how the fck is that a step up in competition?

Wanderlei silva and Dan Henderson, two ufc fighters, did pretty well in pride. They even got belts. Barnett did alright, too, despite not getting a belt.

I don't miss the long ass intros, the annoying screaming lady and specifically the dude in almost bare ass in that drums, that was horrible.

Back