"No Pain, No Gain" ?

Bulletproof

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you wake up the next morning with alot of muscle pain because you worked out intensely the day before does that mean you are going to gain an increase in your muscles or does this mean you've worked out too hard?

Wrong forum, I think.

Good point.

King Kabuki said:

lol @ "yes"

Maybe a read it wrong but is this didn't strike me as a yes or no answer question, more of an either or.

Unless yes is refering to both?

Delayed onset muscle soreness is indicative of nothing but insufficient general physical preparedness. In short, that means your body wasn't prepared for what you put it through. Does that mean you shouldn't have done it? maybe maybe not. Consider that even elite level powerlifters are sore after a competition. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of poor condition. that's all. You're not going to get bigger by being sore every other day.

Urban said:
You're not going to get bigger by being sore every other day.

This is the part I don't get. Back when I played football we did squats, power clean, incline, and bench on the same day, 3 days a week. Everybody was always sore the next time we had to work out, but we never took a day off. and everybody on the team, including big guys, and guys that were already pretty strong on their bench and squat, got results after every 6 week lifting routine (we did 2 per offseason). We got good results, and we were sore every other day. It doesn't seem like we were overtrained because of the good results, but this goes against what you are saying. Can you explain?

lol @ "yes"

Maybe a read it wrong but is this didn't strike me as a yes or no answer question, more of an either or.

Unless yes is refering to both?

I was just being a smart-ass because this is really elementary stuff. A person who doesn't know the answers to questions like this should look them up BEFORE attempting to set and achieve exercise goals.

King Kabuki said:
I was just being a smart-ass because this is really elementary stuff. A person who doesn't know the answers to questions like this should look them up BEFORE attempting to set and achieve exercise goals.

Well, I think that is what he was doing asking the question in the first place dont you?

in my personal experience being sore after lifting weights is a good indicator of how well i worked my muscles, i should add that i lift weights that are close to my one rep max so i dont have experience with getting sore after a high rep work out with lighter wieghts. however i dont think you should judge your workout by how sore you feel. you should keep a log and as long as your lifts are going up then it shouldnt matter if you get sore or not. i think that rather than looking for a workout that creates the most soreness you should look for a workout that creates the best results. also remember to eat clean carbs and protein at least every three hours and to get rest in order to help your body recover and grow

you might find that a good workout routine will get you sore and will also give you good results, its just a matter of experimenting with different routines

There is an all pain no gain workout that will make you sore as hell and not get you anywhere. It's online somewhere.

Soreness is a result of an unprepared muscle. You feel soreness the day after. If the body is provided with sufficient nutrition, the body will make sure it never has to feel sore/wounded again.

Let's use an example: If you at day 1 benchpress 200, 5 times for 3 sets, then let's say, you feel very sore again the day after. Eventually the body will fix the muscle. The next time (within the first two week of course), you work out, do the same drill: 200, 5 times for 3 sets. The day after will feel less sore than the first time you worked out. Reason? The body adjusted to the stress.

The body is very adjustable. It only needs to be as strong as the circumstances requires it to. A guy working at an office doesn't need arms like a carpenter.

So I would say, soreness is a very good indicator on how your workout was.

Muscles heal like bones. You tear them just a little and given sufficient time to recover they will grow stronger - crack a bone it he's just a little bit thicker to protect it's self, tear a muscle and get the same effect

Crack the bone too much or tear too much muscle and you've just done something counter productive. You will spend a long time healing just to get back to where you were originally.

The answer to his question was indeed a Yes because both are half right. Actually, I take that back. "alot of muscle pain" ... it should be sore but there should not be a lot of pain. That's your body telling you that you've gone to far. Don't do that.

In general, you need to know your own limits and work to that fine line where you just achieve slight soreness. At the end of a workout, I know exactly how I'm going to feel for the next couple days.

I thought that the soreness was just your muscle repairing and it's a good thing. Are you saying you guys don't feel sore the day after doing heavy squatting or deadlifting?

Yes, I feel sore after every workout. However, there is "sore" and there is "too sore", the latter being the result of overtraining. That's why I said that you need to find that fine line. You know it when you've crossed it.

That said, you've got to cross it every once in a while just to test your limits and let the posers in your gym know who's boss, right?

Back