No other BJJ guy has a better sweep-game than Maia

Maia was beautiful to watch when he was in his groove. Great takedown game that worked because he was so confident in his BJJ and ability to get a sweep (basically making a guard pull into an extended takedown), tremendous top and back control. Time catches up to us all but I have the greatest respect for him.

He is such a shit wrestler tho holy shit
This is a new opinion that I haven't seen expressed on here before - I'm sincerely curious as to the areas of his wrestling that you think were lacking, would you mind expanding a bit on that?

I've often heard it commented how good his takedowns were (in a MMA context) and the great results he got from working hard on his wrestling - taking down many a number of good wrestlers (sometimes admitted more with Judo than wrestling - Chael Sonnen for example), and having good top control. MMA can be tricky of course because other factors influence your ability to get a takedown beyond simply your wrestling ability - how you integrate it with strikes, your threat from the bottom and so on.

Back