No one's career slid to further depths than Leon Spinks'

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As much as people may chuckle at the memory of Leon Spinks now he actually had a lot of promise coming out of the 1976 Olympics with a gold medal in the light heavyweight division. And he fulfilled much of that promise upon turning pro as a heavyweight in early 1977 by knocking out tough spoiler "Lighting" Bob Smith in five rounds. He quickly built his record to 5-0 with his best victory coming over Puerto Rican journeyman Pedro Agosto in the first round which propelled him into consideration for a shot at Muhammad Ali's world heavyweight championship in early 1978. To get that opportunity all Spinks had to do was beat rugged veteran fringe contender Scott Ledoux in a nationally televised ten rounder.
Unfortunately for Spinks, Ledoux was no pushover & he proved to be a very difficult challenge for such a young inexperienced pro & they battled over ten tough exciting rounds with the judges calling it a draw. Which seemed to put an end to the plan for Spinks to fight Ali until his promoter scheduled a hastily arranged bout between Leon & unbeaten Italian contender Alfio Righetti with the winner to receive a title fight vs Ali that following February. And Spinks rose to the occasion by beating Righetti via a ten-round decision.
Of course, history was made that night on February 15 when Spinks upset by a fifteen round split decision becoming the heavyweight champion with the fewest number of pro fights upon winning the title.
Chaos reigned over Leon's life before the rematch though & he entered the ring for the rematch ill-prepared to beat Ali a second time & he lost via a one-sided unanimous decision.
Spinks didn't fight again until he was matched with undefeated South African puncher Gerrie Coetzee almost a year later in an elimination match for the now vacant heavyweight title due to Ali's retirement. The bout was an ugly one as Coetzee dropped Leon three times in the first round for a TKO victory.
Spinks rebounded with a series of victories over decent opposition with the most impressive one being over dangerous Columbian #1 contender Bernardo Mercado who he KO'd in nine rounds. Which earned him the right to fight champion Larry Holmes in another bid for the title. However, Holmes was too much for Leon & he pummeled him into a TKO defeat in three short rounds.
After this Spinks decided to move down to the cruiserweight division in a bid to become a champion again but it wasn't to be as in bouts against cruiserweight champions Carlos Deleon & Dwight Muhammad Qawi they both stopped him in six rounds. Which sent him back up to the heavyweight ranks where he became a name opponent for an array of mostly mediocre fighters who invariably beat him inside the distance. Having no other way to make money however & with his once impressive skills badly eroded he became cannon fodder for the likes of clubfighters Rocky Sekorski, Tony Morrison, Terry Mims & KP Porter among others.
His most ignoble, sad losses came at the end though when he was embarrassed over the ten round distance
by one James Wilder a ridiculously bad heavyweight with a record of 2-34-1 who somehow managed to outbox Spinks. But the worst was yet to take place as two fights later when Leon was scheduled to fight a journeyman from Maine by the name of Marc Machain his opponent failed the prefight physical. So, as a replacement, the promoter asked one of Machain's cornermen, an amateur fighter by the name of John Carlo, to step in
& fight Spinks. Much to Leon's humiliation this novice professional could punch & he wound up knocking Spinks out in the first round.
And still, his career didn't end as he fought twice more with his final fight coming against a 45-year-old ex-con by the name of Fred Houpe who hadn't fought for over seventeen years. He still managed to give Spinks a beating over the course of the scheduled eight rounds.
Finally, Leon & his people decided that enough was enough & he hung up his gloves for good. Having suffered a sad end to a career that had begun with such promise. His final record stands at 26-17-3.

Leon & Michael Spinks with a friend & I in 1995.
IMG_20170926_162551.jpg

I enjoyed watching him as a kid, didn’t really have any in depth knowledge of his career...TY..

leon was and is a sweet loveable guy. the night he beat ali he looked fantastic, he really did, maybe amateurish at points but he kept up a ferocious pace that Ali couldn't match in his condition. Early success ruined him, the drugs, the police stops, the hangers on. I was watching an ali interview the other day that i never saw before (hard to find those for me) and he accurately said that he got his fame in steps and that leon got too much at once. I don't know how much he could have accomplished, Ali couldn't knock anyone out in those years and spinks was on the small side even with all those nice skills. He could roll and bob like joe frazier but he didn't look like he could take a lot and i remember the deleon fight, he looked shot by that point. Nice man in a rough sport.

also, the logic behind the ali fight was that they were just trying to milk some paydays out of ali's waning years without anymore killers like shavers who he'd just fought. Ali couldn't get motivated understandably and he wasn't even training for the real contenders he was fighting by that point, let alone someone like spinks, the ever voluble ali was at a loss for words saying something to the effect that he would look foolish even saying anything about beatings spinks, i think he actually banned press for once because of that reason. He knew, and yet he still lost when he shouldn't have. good fight, i like both and both are some of my early boxing memories, and when i say memories, almost like yesterday, i always remembered the photo of ali in the 60's, with the crown on, someone in the audience held that up as ali entered the ring for the rematch and i also remembered how ali combed his hair before the decision was announced, assured as could be of victory. It's tragic that he just didn't quit right there.

There is a very brutal and cruel side to prize fighting which the public often doesn’t see.

I got excited thinking there was a Maine heavyweight who almost fought Spinks but he's listed as either Vermont or Connecticut from what i can tell

I got excited thinking there was a Maine heavyweight who almost fought Spinks but he's listed as either Vermont or Connecticut from what i can tell

Yeah, my bad. I recalled him as being from Maine because I took my pal, Lou Turchiarelli up to Lewiston to fight him back in 1990 when he was one of the Gamache's fighters for a while.

Yeah, my bad. I recalled him as being from Maine because I took my pal, Lou Turchiarelli up to Lewiston to fight him back in 1990 when he was one of the Gamache's fighters for a while.
Your friend was in there with some dudes i see....Michael Grant, Vaughn Bean, Mitch Green.Some dangerous human beings right there

Sounds like he got rushed into the spotlight way too fast.

Your friend was in there with some dudes i see....Michael Grant, Vaughn Bean, Mitch Green.Some dangerous human beings right there

And they all knocked him out. LOL.
Lou had a few skills & he could punch a little bit but he had a really difficult time relaxing when he was in the ring. Which made him a sitting duck for an opponent's shots & being that he didn't have the best chin in the world it didn't make for a very good combination. But, he enjoyed being in the game & despite being nothing more than an opponent who finished his career at 10-25 he actually made some pretty good money while he was active.

My father was a fan of Leon and I remember watching his fights as a kid. A really affable guy.

s ali entered the ring
After bout in Zaire, this wasn't this Ali anymore that entered in rings...….
This, yes, was terrible, that he didn't retired forever after this.

Still, big celebrity name warranted big $ for all circles if he stepped somewhere in ring again.

Previously they had attempts to offer Rocky 3 years after retiriement return in ring.
They of course weren't such naive to dream that Rock during 3 years after retired becomed faster and younger.
Still the same dreams: big name fights = big $ around for all around there.
Rock refused to return.

What went so wrong for Spinks?

What went so wrong for Spinks?
Well, he was rushed into the title shot. And while he was ready for an old, shot Ali he wasn't ready for the rest of the heavyweight division at the time. Once he lost the Ali rematch his people should have taken a step back with him & allowed him to develop more as a fighter. But instead, they put him right back into the 4 man WBA tournament to crown a
new champion after Ali retired. Which he just wasn't ready for. As evidenced by his first-round knock out loss to Gerrie Coetzee.
After which they had another chance to take their time with him & let him learn his trade for a while but yet again they booked him into tough matches that would push him toward another title shot. This resulted in another disaster when he was beat down by Larry Holmes in three rounds.
By which point it was too late to salvage him as a fighter. He'd developed too many bad habits.

not many boxers have received this high of an honor

Johnny-Knoxville-showing-us-johnny-knoxville-861740_400_550.jpg

Great storyteller in "Facing Ali"

Leon seems like he respected everyone he faced.

Leon seemed like a good dude. You could really see the pride and joy on his face whenever Cory was fighting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back