No notes at Rickson's seminars?

I agree, BJJ isn't rocket science or some college class. You must be pretty unintelligent or just horrible at retaining information if you can't understand a few BJJ techniques after drilling them 3-4 times.
"Horrible at retaining information if you can't understand"? What does retaining information (memory) has to do with understanding? Or you just want to prove the first part of that phrase?

"Horrible at retaining information if you can't understand"? What does retaining information (memory) has to do with understanding? Or you just want to prove the first part of that phrase?

Has nothing to do with each other, it was just poorly worded. Congratulations on the find, I can buy you a notebook and a number two pencil if you need it. Do you prefer a mechnical pencil?

I agree, BJJ isn't rocket science or some college class. You must be pretty unintelligent or just horrible at retaining information if you can't understand a few BJJ techniques after drilling them 3-4 times.

Wow, I hope you're fucking kidding. The majority of grapplers who take their training seriously take notes, and that's just from their usual day to day training and not a seminar with Rickson Gracie where you're supposed to be taking in a shit load of information. I've honestly never heard of someone going to a seminar without taking notes.

"BJJ isn't rocket science or some college class" ?? You must miss a lot of details and then wonder why a lot of your techniques don't work, huh? BJJ IS the little intricate details and that's what seperates it from other arts, IMO.

Wow, I hope you're fucking kidding. The majority of grapplers who take their training seriously take notes, and that's just from their usual day to day training and not a seminar with Rickson Gracie where you're supposed to be taking in a shit load of information. I've honestly never heard of someone going to a seminar without taking notes.

"BJJ isn't rocket science or some college class" ?? You must miss a lot of details and then wonder why a lot of your techniques don't work, huh? BJJ IS the little intricate details and that's what seperates it from other arts, IMO.

No, I'm not fucking kidding. I've been to a Jacare seminar and Roberto Tussa Seminar (Mundials runner up or whatever), and saw no one taking notes. There were like 40 people at the Jacare seminar. I highly doubt a majority of grapplers need to take notes for their usual day to day training. How many techniques does your class teach you a day, 2-3 related techniques at max right? So you are saying you struggle to retain those details for 2-3 techniques? Give yourself more credit, even a high schooler can do that.

I'm not jotting down notes, but within a day or two I'll put some things down(before the next class).

Even if it's just what we went over, where I think I need to improve etc. Call it a journal, blog, training log or whatever, it's just a record of what we've done. And I can kick my own ass by flipping back a page and seeing that I still need to improve on shit I gave myself flack for a month ago.

We usually get 4-5 techniques a night where I train, all related to one another. They usually follow a flow based off a guard pass or a sweep, or some setup to a choke or something and then we get some secondary techniques if the first doesn't work or based off how someone defends. I take a lot of notes to remember it all.

If I train on average 5 times a week, and I get 4-5 techniques a night, that's maybe 20-25 techniques in a week, also it's both gi and no-gi training so I get a lot of techniques specific for gi and a lot of techniques specific for no-gi. I want to remember all of them, but apparently I'm the only one who can't remember 20 techniques a week just after drilling them a handful of times.

Honestly, if you have time to write notes like a nerd go spend more time drilling.

I'm not jotting down notes, but within a day or two I'll put some things down(before the next class).

Even if it's just what we went over, where I think I need to improve etc. Call it a journal, blog, training log or whatever, it's just a record of what we've done. And I can kick my own ass by flipping back a page and seeing that I still need to improve on shit I gave myself flack for a month ago.

This is good stuff as well. You can write down that you got stacked too much performing a certain technique or whatever, and then maybe you notice that a month ago the same shit was happening so you realize you need some work on it.

For example, for the last few months I'm really working my half guard. Based on taking notes and reviewing them before class, I've been able to improve on never letting people get deep on hooking my head and then smashing me and neutralizing my half guard, I'll also review techniques I can do from there because BJJ isn't just second nature to me and I need to learn/practice it to improve.

Honestly, if you have time to write notes like a nerd go spend more time drilling.

I usually will type them up as soon as I get home, unless we got particularly a lot of info that night then I'll try to put a few important details on paper right away. Don't call me a nerd when I retain twice as much information as you do.

my coach told me that taking notes is very valuable all the time (seminars as well as normal classes).

almost no one does it but he says he still does when he trains and has a big stack of notebooks in his basement that he refers to all the time.

he says it helped him alot (he's black belt under royler)

You must be a phenom of memory.

For most of us mere mortals, writing down stuff helps.
Directly for reference and indirectly, as the brain reprocesses the information and does so in a different manner. Opening creative gateways that happen in the subconsciousness, e.g. in your sleep.

Good for you though.

You're flaunting your ignorance here.

Some of the best martial artists in the world take notes. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but a lot of people benefit greatly from it. It should be encouraged if it helps.

It has helped me learn techniques before.

I've honestly never heard of someone going to a seminar without taking notes.
Honestly? You have got to be kidding me? So every single person you've ever heard of going to a seminar was TAKING FUCKING NOTES?! That's odd...I've been to a couple and haven't seen a SINGLE person taking notes. Perhaps we live in 2 different universes.

Not to discredit or discourage the taking of notes for any that want to...but to say that you've never heard of someone going without taking notes sounds...odd. Extremely odd.

Not only to people take notes - I know people who have recorders with them..To me it's a waste of money to go to a seminar and not take notes or record what the instructors is saying.

No, I'm not fucking kidding. I've been to a Jacare seminar and Roberto Tussa Seminar (Mundials runner up or whatever), and saw no one taking notes. There were like 40 people at the Jacare seminar. I highly doubt a majority of grapplers need to take notes for their usual day to day training. How many techniques does your class teach you a day, 2-3 related techniques at max right? So you are saying you struggle to retain those details for 2-3 techniques? Give yourself more credit, even a high schooler can do that.

I agree with you that the vast majority of grapplers do not take notes. However, I feel that they really should be. It is an invaluable tool for not just the retention of techniques but to help you mentally piece together your gameplan. It forces you to mentally picture all the little details of the move and I have found that this helps me apply the techniques properly. You don't HAVE to take notes but it can only help you out in the long run.

Has nothing to do with each other, it was just poorly worded. Congratulations on the find, I can buy you a notebook and a number two pencil if you need it. Do you prefer a mechnical pencil?
Kid, everything is poor about you...

It's true that he doesn't allow note taking in seminars, but this post above!!?? C'mon, LOL. Sometimes you guys really take it too far. A "no talk" contract so you can't discuss techniques from Rickson's school outside of class??? That's a new high in ludicrous internet BJJ rumors. Anyone can walk into Rickson's school in Los Angeles, pay the training fee, and learn "Rickson-style BJJ". You can then discuss it freely throughout the world. I've been there doing it for years...

I never said that was fact, it was something that someone who had trained with him told me, it sounded kindy of far out there to me but the guy swore by it. From what the guy told me, it was more about not talking about the people that came in(namely other high level blackbelts) than just techniques.

Kid, everything is poor about you...

Deloitte vs Journalist. Please do not get off topic, because we don't want to go comparing salaries. It might make you commit suicide when you notice how much this 22 year old is making compared to you. Relax old man.

Deloitte vs Journalist. Please do not get off topic, because we don't want to go comparing salaries. It might make you commit suicide when you notice how much this 22 year old is making compared to you. Relax old man.

See now you're childish.... why are you so offensive?

See now you're childish.... why are you so offensive?

Are you just being biased like a child now?

"Kid, everything is poor about you..." isn't offensive?

Come on if you are going to take sides make just bluntly tell me.

Back