No notes at Rickson's seminars?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A friend of mine attended a Rickson seminar and he told me he wasn't even allowed to take notes. What's the idea behind this? I understand not to film cause they want to sell their own video instructionals, but notes? What, am I going to sell the notes I took at a seminar? Hey, guys I'm gonna give a seminar on messenger friday starting 9 pm with the notes from a seminar. 25 $ if you want my id, 30 $ if you want sparring at the end.

if that is true it does not sound suprising, I remember hearing that when you sign up at Ricksons california school, you actually had to sign a no talk waiver something like that before being allowed to train. So you could not talk about things that you saw while training there. Rickson does not want his unique approach to BJJ to be widely known perhaps.

I respect Rickson's skill. Nobody who's every trained with him ever had anything bad to say. But he needs to dial down the mystical hoo doo meter.

I was taught "there are no secrets" in jiu jitsu. Share and share alike and all that crap. Besides, it's not like any tip or video can take you to that level.

if that is true it does not sound suprising, I remember hearing that when you sign up at Ricksons california school, you actually had to sign a no talk waiver something like that before being allowed to train. So you could not talk about things that you saw while training there. Rickson does not want his unique approach to BJJ to be widely known perhaps.

I did a few drop in classes there and never had to sign anythings like that

sounds interesting. can't imagine having to sign something like that.

Maybe they don't want people slowing down the class with slow note taking. I don't think they're holding any info back either..

How did you do ?

Rickson was only there one class and it was a no gi class on taking the back and finishing the RNC. He took my back with little to no effort and finished every time. I was only a blue belt then, but I could tell the difference between his jiu jitsu and just an average black belt's.

How did you do ?

Rickson was only there one class and it was a no gi class on taking the back and finishing the RNC. He took my back with little to no effort and finished every time. I was only a blue belt then, but I could tell the difference between his jiu jitsu and just an average black belt's.

I almost find that kind of old school attitude endearing.

Of course, I'd be the first one in my car on the way home jabbering into my MP3 player everything I could remember that Rickson said ...

I'd love to attend a Rickson seminar just for the experience. It would be like going to pitching camp with Nolan Ryan.

who the hell takes notes

how about drilling the techniques and asking questions

^ some people approach it like that, and if you've ever been to a long seminar you'll know that there are alot of things you'll remember by the next timw you start training. Not to mention the subtle nuances and philosophies of the person teaching the seminar. My judo coach always tells us to bring atleast one new thing home after a training camp, if you can remember just one thing and start drilling it, the training camp wasn't a waste. Often you'll only remember one or two moves as it is.

^ some people approach it like that, and if you've ever been to a long seminar you'll know that there are alot of things you'll remember by the next timw you start training. Not to mention the subtle nuances and philosophies of the person teaching the seminar. My judo coach always tells us to bring atleast one new thing home after a training camp, if you can remember just one thing and start drilling it, the training camp wasn't a waste. Often you'll only remember one or two moves as it is.

true --ive been on seminars before- and practiced a lot of techniques some old some new-- but never enough to have to make a note

instructional books make good reference also--if you forget

It's true that he doesn't allow note taking in seminars, but this post above!!?? C'mon, LOL. Sometimes you guys really take it too far. A "no talk" contract so you can't discuss techniques from Rickson's school outside of class??? That's a new high in ludicrous internet BJJ rumors. Anyone can walk into Rickson's school in Los Angeles, pay the training fee, and learn "Rickson-style BJJ". You can then discuss it freely throughout the world. I've been there doing it for years...

who the hell takes notes

how about drilling the techniques and asking questions

I agree, BJJ isn't rocket science or some college class. You must be pretty unintelligent or just horrible at retaining information if you can't understand a few BJJ techniques after drilling them 3-4 times.

i heard rickson has no issues with people taking notes about basic techniques - it's those star wars style force chokes that he's sensitive about

It's true that he doesn't allow note taking in seminars, but this post above!!?? C'mon, LOL. Sometimes you guys really take it too far. A "no talk" contract so you can't discuss techniques from Rickson's school outside of class??? That's a new high in ludicrous internet BJJ rumors. Anyone can walk into Rickson's school in Los Angeles, pay the training fee, and learn "Rickson-style BJJ". You can then discuss it freely throughout the world. I've been there doing it for years...

Have you trained at any other schools? If so, how does Rickson's differ?

The first rule of Rickson's Seminar is you do not talk about Rickson's Seminar.
The second rule of Rickson's Seminar is you do not talk about Rickson's Seminar.

The fact that your friend even MENTIONED the Rickson seminar violated the contract.[Rickson disbatches his blackbelts looking to silence your friend] :)

Back