No more TUF? End of an era. How do you feel about it?

Towelie by TKO

The Continental Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if the US version of TUF is really over with or just on hiatus for the moment, but it seems there won't be another one any time soon. Usually the next season's coaches and weight classes would be announced by now, but I haven't heard about any tryouts or any talk about prospective coaches.

So, how do you feel about the end of the TUF era?

I'm sure most of you are, like me, quite relieved that future big fights will not be delayed by coaching responsibilities. Likewise, I'm sure most of you had stopped watching or caring about TUF several years ago.

I used to watch almost every episode of every season, but the last full season I watched was the JDS vs Brock season. I watched some of the following season, the one with Dodson, Brandao and Dillashaw. Then I didn't watch it at all until the Ronda/Tate season. I've been a WMMA fan since the Gina Carano days, so I was interested in seeing the first female TUF, and was intrigued by the novelty of the men and women living in the same house. After a few episodes, the novelty wore off and I didn't watch any more til the Finale. I never watched any of the foreign TUFs, and only watched the first two episodes of the Women's Strawweight season.

Yet, despite watching only a handful of episodes these last few years, the thought of no more TUF kinda bums me out. I loved TUF for the first 10 seasons or so. Never missed an episode thanks to a new technology called a "DVR". See, back then there wasn't a fight night every weekend or so like there is now. Heck, back then they didn't even air prelims. In those years I was starving for more MMA. Just couldn't watch enough fights. So weekly TUF fights were an excellent way to satiate my MMA cravings. They weren't always great fights, but they were fights.

Some seasons ended up being extremely entertaining. Seasons 5 and 7 were my favorites. From Gabe Ruediger's weight cut, to Matt Brown kicking Jeremy May's head off for messing with his tobaccy, it was just really good television.

I do hope this is the end of the series, at least for the moment. With full cards almost every weekend, there's just no point in watching a single low-quality TUF match every Wednesday. However, if they were to do just one more season, I wouldn't mind them doing Heavyweights again. Even if the fights end up being hilariously bad like they were in Season 10, it would at least make for some decent TV.

Dana said they had a 7 year deal for TUF on FS1.

I think it needs a break, but not a cancelation. And I suspect that's how it's gonna go down.

And I prefer it that way, too.

I hope you're wrong. I love every single seasons, even the bad ones

I would actually be pretty sad if TUF ended. I've always enjoyed watching them.

Dana said the next season is going to be something completely new and unlike the previous seasons.

I think they should drop the teams and just make it all about the fighters.

Quit watching years ago so couldn't care either way. Most people I talk to now about MMA don't even know what I'm talking about when TUF gets brought up....

Dana said the next season is going to be something completely new and unlike the previous seasons.

I think they should drop the teams and just make it all about the fighters.

The rumors are Blackzilans vs ATT.

Theres gonna be a TUF type of show in Japan....the UFC just signed a deal with VTJ about a tournament style reality show for all you JMMA nuts. Probably gonna be a different take on the TUF series with PRIDE style production assuming how they do their production in Japan.

They need to change a lot, have a larger tournament bracket, and cut out the petty drama.

Quit watching years ago so couldn't care either way. Most people I talk to now about MMA don't even know what I'm talking about when TUF gets brought up....

Free fights are free fights, and it has spawned some pretty good fighters these last few years, so no complaints here.

TUF with the stars. CM Punk, Joe Rogan, Wesley Snipes. There's a start. Green power ranger? I have no idea who that is, but I've seen him/her mentioned.

TUF always has potential to be interesting. Usually depends on the coaches for me. Watched the first episode of the Penn vs Edgar 3 season & really enjoyed Frankie. But just couldn't stick with it.

As long as the coaches are non-titlist who won't hold up the division by being on a reality show, then TUF doesn't bother me at all.

Cote/Noke was a good season and the welterweight division didn't have to suffer having their champion on the shelf. The UFC shouldn't have to make the coaches well known fighters just to gain more viewers.

another season of TUF Brazil coming where the coaches don't fight at the end, gonna be coached by Shogun and Anderson Silva I heard (Was awhile back) and TUF Brazil's are pretty good tv, even though it's subtitles. TUF Latin America was decent too.

I haven't watched a full season since the Henderson Bisping series, and haven't really enjoyed one since Rampage/Forrest.

I usually watch the first episode of every season in the hope it will be awesome, but I never make it past the second or third show.

Only thing that would make me watch is getting real coaches/gyms in to do the job (preferably Matt Serra on every season!) instead of tying up champion and challengers for a full year.

Also another come back show would be great fun, but it will never happen.

The team format gives the house the added drama however it might not be a bad thing to think how to work in a season where only the individual fighter is emphasized, more of a spartan arena type thought process in the cage. But that would require some brain storming.

I have an idea, instead of using UFC fighters as the coaches, how about giving real unknown coaches a shot at becoming known and promoting their gym? Maybe pair this with the individual fighter? It could get real ugly fast when a suck coach is exposed haha. The potential drama and the insight of a coache's mentality and game planning.

I don't think tuf should go away. a lot of people say the ufc hires too many tuffers, but in recent years they've gotten (off the top of my head)

Myles jury
Uriah hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Tj Dillashaw
John Dodson
Josh samann
Julianna Pena
Ceaser ferreia

and many more exciting fighters.

Back