No more K1 Maia "I'd rather be strong in wrestling"

I've always had a hard time understanding this. It seems alot of Elite BJJ guys going into MMA focus on sharpening their striking, instead of just focusing on wrestling so they can take their opponent down and work for submissions. Often you see these elite BJJ guys going into MMA and not being able to use their Jiu Jitsu because they can't take fighters down.

I might be wrong, maybe it's better to have the striking to set up the takedowns but it's always something i've been pondering about, how about elite BJJ with elite wrestling, that sounds pretty badass on paper.

I've always had a hard time understanding this. It seems alot of Elite BJJ guys going into MMA focus on sharpening their striking, instead of just focusing on wrestling so they can take their opponent down and work for submissions. Often you see these elite BJJ guys going into MMA and not being able to use their Jiu Jitsu because they can't take fighters down.

I might be wrong, maybe it's better to have the striking to set up the takedowns but it's always something i've been pondering about, how about elite BJJ with elite wrestling, that sounds pretty badass on paper.

To be elite in the UFC, you can't skip wrestling. You don't have to become a master wrestler, but you need to be at least of average skill if wrestling is to be your weakness. That's the minimum.

To be elite in the UFC, you can't skip wrestling. You don't have to become a master wrestler, but you need to be at least of average skill if wrestling is to be your weakness. That's the minimum.

Unless you have super striking and even more super bottom game + cardio and chin (unlikely).

1233191343.gif

This is all a lie. K1 Maia is what we are all getting this time.

Gustafsson went to train with Phil Davis after he tapped him out and he benefited greatly.

To be fair, people keep overrating that partnership...
Of course it always helps to have an elite guy in the same division training with you, but Gus was already good at defending takedowns before he went to Alliance.

There must be some sort of pride involved.

Maybe not the fighters, but at least some of the coaches and trainning partners think that BJJ is the only grappling knowledge needed.

As long as he still works some striking defence along with his bjj and wrestling, then I will be happy.

To be fair, people keep overrating that partnership...
Of course it always helps to have an elite guy in the same division training with you, but Gus was already good at defending takedowns before he went to Alliance.

Sure he was good, but he went to being taken down by Te Huna to stuffing Jones.

Good one really like Maia , gained alot of respect for him after the silva fight the fact he kept really trying to win despite silva's actions showed a different sort of heart

I would love to see Maia and Sonnen form an alliance. By sharing skills and strategy with each other, they could both end up being formidable.

Maia and Weidman would be cooler.

MW champ, wrestling God and young BJJ prodigy joins forces with the BJJ phenom and grappling technician to be partners in crime and champs in their divisions.

I love it.

Well he better work on his wrestling because I don't think he can keep it standing with Jake. Jake would probably know him out :D I kid I kid

I'm not too worried about Jakes wrestling in his next fight since Maia threw around Sonnen, Story, DHK, some serious elite grapplers. Well, story is elite but more of a powerhouse type when he wrestles(which is hard to overcome)

Well he better work on his wrestling because I don't think he can keep it standing with Jake. Jake would probably know him out :D I kid I kid

I remember the last time Jake knowed someone out.

I never understood why more BJJ guys didn't try to get much better at wrestling instead of striking and the same thing of wrestlers learning striking over BJJ. It seems like BJJ+Wrestling would be the better way to go.

Back