No more K1 Maia "I'd rather be strong in wrestling"

ovbious

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He told to the Brazilian press:

"There is no time to change. If I were 20 years old, I could go to Netherlands to train muay thai or train boxing in Bahia. But today I have to focus on what I do best.

Say I fight until I'm 40. I don't have time to specialize in something else. I'd rather be strong and work more with sister arts, such as wrestling, because I know it will complement my jiu-jitsu and the evolution of my style will be even better."

More on:

http://esporte.uol.com.br/mma/ultim...erna-de-royce-gracie-em-busca-do-cinturao.htm

Last edited:
Good idea.

Sorry for the google translation. I'll make some adjustments when I get home.

Possibly could be the guy to dethrone GSP

I would love to see Maia and Sonnen form an alliance. By sharing skills and strategy with each other, they could both end up being formidable.

Maia with a solid base and stronger takedowns is a scary thought. I think he would've handled Anderson if this had been his mindset from the beginning of his MMA career.

From what I read in Royce/Rickson Gracie recent interviews, these both fellas put more faith on Maia's BJJ than in their own kin.

Plot Twist: he's only been working stand-up

I wish more fighters had this approach -- I think Shields takes the fight but Maia has a great mindset to fighting, always love hearing his opinions.

I would love to see Maia and Sonnen form an alliance. By sharing skills and strategy with each other, they could both end up being formidable.
maia-triangles-sonnen-o.gif

Smart man. He got Sonnen down at MW. At WW, he got the fight to the ground against Stun Gun, Story, Fitch. If he gets the fight to the ground against Shields, he certainly deserves a shot against the champ.

The smartest MMA champs fight where they are strongest and their opponents are weakest. It took Maia a while but he figured it out. Considering it is a fundamental principle of BJJ (and WAR in general) I am surprised it took him this long though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I've watched a better grappler than Maia. Should be fun to see how his wrestling improves going forward.

Plot Twist: he's only been working stand-up

I lol'd :icon_chee

But if he's really focusing in his grappling then it's all good. Maia is one of the best jiu-jitsu guys in MMA and he's on a roll. Go grapple 'em!

Did you see Maia ragdoll Sonnen? Pretty sure Damian could learn from someone better. Unless he wants to learn how to trash-talk better.

To be champion, I think you need to train BJJ, Wreslting, Boxing and Muay Thai.

Back