No more closed guard for this guy

I'm a closed guard guy that works to rubber guard. I hate butterfly, X-guard isn't too bad. I'm also fairly good at creating scrambles from halfguard

I do what baret yoshida does against guys that won't engage his butterfly guard. I sit there in a little ball and hug my knees, as if to say "are you afwaid of wittle me?" Usually they are shamed into at least attempting to engage and pass, at which point I can grab something and sweep them. I find that this is only usually a problem against guys I normally tool the hell out of anyway. They will get frustrated and refuse to engage. Attacking with a double leg also works well, but it's easier to just sit there and shame them into engaging. I'm here to wrestle, not watch them circle me outside my reach for 5 minutes, only to try some stupid crazy flying spazz pass that has never worked in the history of grappling.

I do what baret yoshida does against guys that won't engage his butterfly guard. I sit there in a little ball and hug my knees, as if to say "are you afwaid of wittle me?" Usually they are shamed into at least attempting to engage and pass, at which point I can grab something and sweep them. I find that this is only usually a problem against guys I normally tool the hell out of anyway. They will get frustrated and refuse to engage. Attacking with a double leg also works well, but it's easier to just sit there and shame them into engaging. I'm here to wrestle, not watch them circle me outside my reach for 5 minutes, only to try some stupid crazy flying spazz pass that has never worked in the history of grappling.

Hey now I've been passed by a cartwheel pass. I so wasn't expecting it :redface:

i'm closed guard only for a couple more weeks since I can't use my arms.

Hey, at least you're training again.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Having knee surgery in August (if I can hold out) and just hurt my ankle (minor, but pain), so I've actually been going back to working closed guard. Mainly just working on finishes and controls. I'll bait the sweep just to get a finish....but if I try to complete a sweep, I end up somehow rolling on my bad leg, so I just avoid it for now.

Get comfortable with butt-walking/scooting, and using your feet to hook in. You'll have fun with it, grow your butterfly game, and frustrate people all at the same time!:icon_chee

I look at closed guard as the last line of defense when I'm on my butt. I try to keep people away with my feet, then my shins, then closed guard. For a lot of people with mediocre instruction, noobs, ufc watchers etc closed guard has become option number one instead of where I believe it's intended purpose as a level of defense,

I think a lot of people become way too reliant on closed guard, in general, and make it their go to guard with all the open guards as backup plans when someone breaks open your closed guard. People tend to feel safer with someone in their closed guard so they never break it in fear of getting their guard passed. I think that, while training, more people should open up the guard. Basically, I agree with TS.

We are taught that opening your guard should be our choice not a choice made by our opponents.

Hug him to keep him close - if he is trying to back out and has gotten to far awaygrab a sleave, or an ankle and change your guard

A lot of time in butterfly guard i keep my hands clasped around their back with my face in their chest squeezing them to me and keeping my posture. I rock back and forth getting whch ever position i want for any number of sweeps.

If your opponent is pusing you off, either armdrag him.. or hug him.

Back