No more 5 round fights = less injuries?

Psychojoe86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If the UFC made all fights 3 rounds instead of 5 rounds would that prevent so many high profile injuries? It seems its usually the main event fighters that bow out anyway.

I love 5 round fights but what do others think about this idea?

after every close 3 round fight people want more 5 rounders.

now after a 5 round fight you want more 3 rounders?

there's always one...

If the UFC made all fights 3 rounds instead of 5 rounds would that prevent so many high profile injuries? It seems its usually the main event fighters that bow out anyway.

I love 5 round fights but what do others think about this idea?

Not even a problem.... They may bow out of main events if injured because there is more pressure than on an under card fight or something but the actual injuries happen in training.

3 round fight 1st round being 10 min would be nice.

increased level of competition = guys training harder than ever = more injuries in training. nature of the beast

Fewer. Fewer, not less.

...unless you're advocating that we have the same number of injuries, only that they be less serious -- which I suppose is better.

i would think so. less rounds less intensive work out. less chance of injury.

Haha relax people. I don't want to get rid of five round fights, I enjoy them greatly. I'm just inquiring as to what others think of the injury situation. Seems that the majority believe there is no difference between training for a three round and five round fight.

Of *course* there's a difference between training for what might be a 25 minute contest instead of a 15 minute one.

Most fighters who make it to the 5-round main-event or champion caliber have the stamina to fight for 5 rounds, so they train for the possibility that it might last that long. Some bigger fighters can't make 15 minutes, so they probably don't do much different. [Hey, if I gas after 10, I ain't making it to 25, so I might as well work on my subs...]

So, assuming you *can* fight for 25 minutes, you train for it, yes.

Injuries are mostly in sparring. You don't blow out your knee nearly as often working on the eliptical to keep up your cardio.

Back