No matter how skilled as a fighter, when facing someone like Francis...

Nobody is invincible... and it's true as well for undefeated champions.

Ngannou doesn't seem like he's even playing the same sport. His game is like cheat codes. If he keeps his head in the game it's basically like touch the guy and they are out.
Lol good one

It’s more about not getting hit in the face. This guy comes at u from every direction , hooks, looping punches, uppercuts and short hooks and he does all that while wrestling with u or retreating. That’s what Jones’ fans don’t understand. No matter how skilled he is, everything depends on his chin really and how much can it endure. Do we agree on this point?

Also true for Lewis. Which is why Ngannou and Lewis were both very careful in that fight. Both knew either could finish it with one shot.

No matter how powerful as a fighter, when facing someone like Jones...
You have to avoid getting stabbed in the eyes followed by getting your knee hyperextended.

But yes you are right. Jones has no shot. The power difference is a factor but the biggest factor is he won't have the height/reach advantage to implement his usual style.

One guy. Stipe in the first fight, and Ngannou 2.0 ended him.

Ngannou 2.0 beat a 38 year old Stipe. A lot of us correctly predicted Stipe's reflexes would be too slow in the second match to avoid getting hit -- not because we're super fight analysts, but because him being 38 made it obvious.

And in fact I'll go out on a limb and say that Ngannou too will get old, and if he stays in MMA will eventually lose to someone he's previously beaten. Everyone who seems indestructible and unbeatable loses against Father Time.

No matter how powerful as a fighter, when facing someone like Jones...
You have to avoid getting stabbed in the eyes followed by getting your knee hyperextended.

But yes you are right. Jones has no shot. The power difference is a factor but the biggest factor is he won't have the height/reach advantage to implement his usual style.

Anyone who believes Jones has no shot should mortgage their house and bet everything on Ngannou. It'd be a guaranteed doubling of your worth.

Me, I think Jones has a chance, so I'm not betting my life's savings on him losing.

Ngannou 2.0 beat a 38 year old Stipe. A lot of us correctly predicted Stipe's reflexes would be too slow in the second match to avoid getting hit -- not because we're super fight analysts, but because him being 38 made it obvious.

And in fact I'll go out on a limb and say that Ngannou too will get old, and if he stays in MMA will eventually lose to someone he's previously beaten. Everyone who seems indestructible and unbeatable loses against Father Time.

He also was a lot less telegraphed and had a diverse strike selection, unlike the first fight. Ngannou started MMA late so my guess is his prime will last longer than usual. And as you know, power is the last thing to go.

He also was a lot less telegraphed and had a diverse strike selection, unlike the first fight. Ngannou started MMA late so my guess is his prime will last longer than usual. And as you know, power is the last thing to go.

Power is indeed the last thing to go (well, actually strength, since you can maintain strength while losing speed of muscle contraction, but they're related). And reflexes are the first thing to go. When young reflex based guys fight young power based guys, the young reflex based guys tend to win (not always of course, but that's part of the basis of the boxing saying "boxers beat sluggers, sluggers beat brawlers, brawlers beat boxers)'. But when old reflex based guys fight old power based guys, the power based guys tend to win, because the reflex based guy no long has his reflexes, but the power guy still has his power.

Jones has never ever been rocked or dropped, let alone knocked out cold. He has an awesome chin, that punch Cormier landed on him right at the start of their 2nd fight that made Jones mouthpiece go flying, would have dropped 99% of fighters on he roster, I am sure of it. Cormier was so powerful when he is close inside like that

This exact same statement is true for a lot of HWs. Yeah, no matter how skilled you are don't let Roy Nelson punch you clean.

Pointless thread.

Back