No man will hold the UFC HW title for long

Remember when Brock Lesnar was thought to be invincible, and then when Cain beat him, he was going to dominate the HW division for years?

JDS is a great fighter, and I favor him against Cain, but with Cain, Overeem, Cormier, and JDS in the HW division no man will be able to defeat all the rest. Heavyweights are too powerful and there are too many KO's. Things will get even more competitive once Jon Jones moves up.

Fedor was a great fighter, but he wouldn't have gone undefeated against Lesnar, Couture, Overeem, and Mir. Prime Fedor couldn't go undefeated against the best HW in the UFC right now; no man can.

Now fanboys will say that their favorite fighter is invincible and will dominate all the others, but these guys are just too good to get dominated by any one man.

fedor would have and jds will

Brock was invincible? Didnt he get tapped by Mir in his first fight or did I see that incorrectly?

Hes probably going to tie the defense record this weekend. Then overeem will upset him, then lose to cormier. Then a huge cycle will just continue where no one defends more than twice.

JDS has 1 HW title defense. If he gets to 2 this weekend, it would not tie the record, as both Randy and Tim have 3 successful HW title defenses to their names.

JDS has 1 HW title defense. If he gets to 2 this weekend, it would not tie the record, as both Randy and Tim have 3 successful HW title defenses to their names.

Yeah, but they weren't in a row. Nobody has done it more than twice in a row.

"An extremely long time" for the HW division standard is something like 3 consecutive title defenses. I think it's possible.

Last edited:
Fedor was also fighting more frequently until the last few years of his career.

Jones is now fighting middleweights but I do not see a problem with that as long as he is fighting to LHW contenders 2x a year.

The problem is that he just wasn't fighting top competition frequently enough.

Fedor has 6 top 5 wins, 2 of which after Pride.

Beating Cain the second time would be already the 5th top 5 win for JDS. The UFC champ ONLY faces top 5 competition. This makes it incredibly harder to keep a streak.

I do think the current HW's in the top 5 will always vie for the title. Cain will have multiple shots, JDS will too (if and when he loses his belt) and Overeem are a few that I know would be repeated title contenders

I see JDS holding the belt for some time. It woudnt be a surprise if Cain beats him, but I belive JDS KO him again and then Uberrem

I can agree with TS in the sense that there's just too much variance in a world where 240+ pound men are flinging virtually bare knuckles full force at one another.

With that in mind, JDS is arguably the best at that sort of thing, and has a very good skill set otherwise. So while I would still contend that there's just a great deal of variance, that variance favors Cigano's skill set.

Fedor was a great fighter, but he wouldn't have gone undefeated against Lesnar, Couture, Overeem.

Hmmm, yes he would.

Crocop, Nog, Arovski, Coleman, and Tim is a FAR tougher lineup than Lesnar, Couture, and Overeem.

People used to say the same thing about the LHW division, and then jones came along. JDS could possibly be as good as jones, we just need to see his wrestling tested more. He's small for a HW, so he'll need PHENOMENAL, olympic caliber wrestling in order to keep the belt.

I like how everyone now denies that Lesnar was considered the top HW fighter.

Also, about 60% of Sherdoggers were saying before the first JDS/Cain fight that Velasquez is going to be the champ for a very long time.

I would give JDS a 60% chance against Cain. It would have been less if it was not for a possible intimidation factor because the first fight ended so quickly. Let's say he has the same chance against Overeem and a 70% chance against Cormier. Statistically, he only has like a 25% chance of winning all 3 fights.

Obviously that is a very primitive calculation that makes a lot of assumptions and does not increase JDS' chances after each win. But the chance of winning all 3 fights would still be under 50%.

If JDS handles Cain twice Cormier will be an interesting fight but not a fight we need to see to call JDS dominant.

Most hardcore fans didn't take Brock Lesnar very seriously.

It was only the WWE fans who did and the UFC hype machine did their best to make him look like the baddest man on the planet to get casuals involved, and it worked, until it didn't.

Point being any educated fan knew Brock wasn't going to be on top for long.

If Cain can't beat him, how will Cormier? He has virtually the same skillset. Overeem stands the best chance imo.

Remember when Brock Lesnar was thought to be invincible, and then when Cain beat him, he was going to dominate the HW division for years?

JDS is a great fighter, and I favor him against Cain, but with Cain, Overeem, Cormier, and JDS in the HW division no man will be able to defeat all the rest. Heavyweights are too powerful and there are too many KO's. Things will get even more competitive once Jon Jones moves up.

Fedor was a great fighter, but he wouldn't have gone undefeated against Lesnar, Couture, Overeem, and Mir. Prime Fedor couldn't go undefeated against the best HW in the UFC right now; no man can.

Now fanboys will say that their favorite fighter is invincible and will dominate all the others, but these guys are just too good to get dominated by any one man.

You mad, jitsu.

JDS is going to stay champ for a while. I've been beating a dead horse (you're welcome, Overeem) as to the reason why, but I'll say it again. It's because his chin.

It's been tested plenty by some big names with big fists. He barely gets hits at all, but the fact that when he does, he barely flinches, is something you can't deny will probably take him even further than he's already got.

Who thought Brock Lesnar was holding onto the title, I didn't. :icon_lol:

Back