No major injuries or broken bones for Jones or Gus

As long as we are on the topic do you want to talk about the racist knockout game which has targeted and even killed some white people all over the country?

If you'd like. I don't support racist sh*t so we'd probably reach a fast agreement. I probably won't have much to argue about that being OK. It's not. I won't deny it or give any other knee jerk reaction. I'll denounce racism period.

See? It's easy not to support racism!

So that is making it about race and you conveniently choose to only notice it when it happens to a black fighter.

No.

I, and many others, choose to notice that IT ONLY HAPPENS to black fighters. We're getting somewhere, bit by bit....

Did anyone suggest he was too big for HW and should not be in the division? I don't remember that.

I do think his strength and size helped him, as it helps lots of fighters. But that's different than trying to suggest he should leave the division because he's too big for it.

But I give you credit for trying to be level headed about the claim instead of emotional like some others.

You clearly didn't pay attention to mma then. When Brock and Carwin were on a tear, plenty of people said they were too big and that a cruiserweight division needed to be formed to protect smaller HW's from the "new breed".

If you'd like. I don't support racist sh*t so we'd probably reach a fast agreement. I probably won't have much to argue about that being OK. It's not. I won't deny it or give any other knee jerk reaction. I'll denounce racism period.

See? It's easy not to support racism!

That is fine. I do not want it about race either. When a fighter reaches prime status they are inevitably going to be subjected to an increased amount of scrutiny. That comes with the territory. GSP will forever receive criticism that he does not finish fights for example. Floyd Mayweather made a whole lat of racist and anti-white comments about MMA but I do not assume that he represents all black people. You should not do the same about whites. I respect Jon Jones.

What other division would there be to put him in? Ever think about that? That is why it was never mentioned. Jones himself has been bragging about moving up in weight class.

I only have a problem with the way that you talk every topic and turn it in to a race discussion.

It's not only Jones. Silva, who is not bigger than most MWs. Guillard, Rashad, Benson, AJ (although that was justified in a FEW divisions), and there were others that I forget now. Anyway, don't see why it's such a big deal. I've accepted it and you can too.

And pls show me another thread where I turned it into a race discussion???

You claim I "always" do this, so I'm interested.

No.

I, and many others, choose to notice that IT ONLY HAPPENS to black fighters. We're getting somewhere, bit by bit....

Lesnar is not black. It happened to him as well as Carwin who also is not black as another commenter just pointed out.

Let's get the rematch going. Good to hear they're both fine, too.

Actually no, I don't. I was referring to the constant accusation that one or another black fighter is "too big for their division". Never heard this complaint about any white fighter in any division, ever. There was even a thread analysing it and everyone agreed that you never hear that about white fighters. Hear about Jon being too big all the time and needing to go to HW, but never heard that complaint about Alex, who is his equal in size.

Must be because he's a gentleman that he's not too big? I think I know what it is, but no need to go there. We're all getting along right just now, so it's fine. Back to the discussion at hand.

Btw - Alex really is a gentleman, though.

I always got the impression it was because jones is such a physical guy, with his wrestling ragdolling the smaller men around. Almost being seen as a bully. Gus is a different fighter and beats guys with his striking only, sort of not using his overall size to dominate his opponent ie using superior strength that he most likely has over a smaller fighter. It's not my views but just what I always felt may be the reasoning behind it, not a black or white issue, race is not an issue, Atleast I hope not.

Last edited:
It's not only Jones. Silva, who is not bigger than most MWs. Guillard, Rashad, Benson, AJ (although that was justified in a FEW divisions), and there were others that I forget now. Anyway, don't see why it's such a big deal. I've accepted it and you can too.

And pls show me another thread where I turned it into a race discussion???

You claim I "always" do this, so I'm interested.

Twice in this thread you have done it so far. You also managed to bring up an incident in the 90s involving Pantera as well which is not even fight related. That is how badly you wanted to drag race in to this.

Quick Jones nuthuggers, find a new excuse!

Excuse for what? He won the fight, it might have been close, but it wasn't some major robbery for Gus. I watched it 3 times and gave it to the winner all 3 times.

Imagine that.

That is fine. I do not want it about race either. When a fighter reaches prime status they are inevitably going to be subjected to an increased amount of scrutiny. That comes with the territory. GSP will forever receive criticism that he does not finish fights for example. Floyd Mayweather made a whole lat of racist and anti-white comments about MMA but I do not assume that he represents all black people. You should not do the same about whites. I respect Jon Jones.

Man, I NEVER said this racist attitudes represented all white people! I said it's more prevalent in MMA than it should be. It's even more prevalent in soccer. But this wasn't about "all whites" or even "whites" at all!

It was about the fact that Jones has a harder time getting credit than he would if he weren't black as at this time, mma fans are still probably a bit more racially motivated than the general population. In fact, if anything it was a complementary mention for other whites in general!

Glad you respect Jones. I do too. And I also respect Gus.

Didn't Jones show some amazing warrior spirit fighting when he was really too broken up to walk in normal life?

THAT'S more important than feeling anyone here has to "defend all whites" or that I'm "condemning whites".

I mean nothing more than I said. I have grown up around white people as much as blacks. I don't need to be told they're not all racist!

No.

I agree. Often, the posters will insert a slick racist joke or veiled epithet in a Jones thread. This happens often, yet the board wants to scream at those who simply want to post in a board FReE OF RACISM. Just the other day a Jones thread was deleted because of racist comments in it. Certain posters want it both ways. They want to make idiotic racist comments and still try turning the tables on those who call them out on it. It's disheartening that these types, who clearly have an agenda are simply not banned outright. I'm not saying Sherdog is condoning this behaviour, but it seems often the ones who are tired of dealing with the racism are the ones singled out for dubs or banning.

You clearly didn't pay attention to mma then. When Brock and Carwin were on a tear, plenty of people said they were too big and that a cruiserweight division needed to be formed to protect smaller HW's from the "new breed".

Fair response. If this is true then I stand corrected. I don't remember that being the big discussion around Brock or Carwin, mind you. But if you were exposed to that, then I stand corrected by your experience, if not by my own.

And I've been reprimanded. I apparently "clearly don't pay attention to MMA". Why do ppl on forums talk to each other like this anyway? In person, ppl speak so much more reasonably to each other.

#shouldhavebeenbornwhite

Funny, nobody said Gus was "too big" for his division. Oh, right. He's WAS born white.... mma fans, gotta love the little buggers.....

Yup, even though Gus is slightly bigger than Jon, Jon is ducking HW and Gus isn't.

I don't think it's a race thing. When Overeem was on his tear, he had more nuthuggers than anyone.

People don't like Jones because of the way he puts on a front in the media, and it's not a likable front.

By the way, Bones: 2,4,5.

Twice in this thread you have done it so far. You also managed to bring up an incident in the 90s involving Pantera as well which is not even fight related. That is how badly you wanted to drag race in to this.

So you mean that contrary to your earlier post, I don't "always" do this, but did this only on this day in this thread.

I'd agree with that assessment.

I did it and I cannot tell a lie. We can move on from it though.

The chief f'n point (to quote Al Swearingan) was that Jones showed awesome warrior spirit by continuing to look uninjured when he could barely walk after.

Glad to hear both didn't suffer any major injuries.

2w3p8b8.jpg

Just the ego.

Wauw, what a great snapshot! :eek:

Excuse for what? He won the fight, it might have been close, but it wasn't some major robbery for Gus. I watched it 3 times and gave it to the winner all 3 times.

Imagine that.

Who's that in your avy pls? I don't follow pop culture enough.

Man, I NEVER said this racist attitudes represented all white people! I said it's more prevalent in MMA than it should be. It's even more prevalent in soccer. But this wasn't about "all whites" or even "whites" at all!

It was about the fact that Jones has a harder time getting credit than he would if he weren't black as at this time, mma fans are still probably a bit more racially motivated than the general population. In fact, if anything it was a complementary mention for other whites in general!

Glad you respect Jones. I do too. And I also respect Gus.

Didn't Jones show some amazing warrior spirit fighting when he was really too broken up to walk in normal life?

THAT'S more important than feeling anyone here has to "defend all whites" or that I'm "condemning whites".

I mean nothing more than I said. I have grown up around white people as much as blacks. I don't need to be told they're not all racist!

Both fighters performed exceptionally well. But if you disagreed with the decision that does not mean that you hate Jon Jones or are a racist. I have read those kinds of stupid comments here as well. It is the same as being told that if you are white and disagree with Obama you are a racist. Why is it so hard to believe that someone might have an opinion that a fighter has had prior success due to the successful use of height and reach advantage? Is it not true that this was by far the most difficult fight of Jones' career and it was against another fighter of similar stature?

This is only your perception. GSP gets just as much criticism if not more than Jones but for different reasons. And the last time that I checked it is usually Jones & Silva being crowned P4P best in the world.

Back