No major injuries or broken bones for Jones or Gus

No, he has a foot injury. I began to feel that way when he was leaning on his team to make him able to walk. I felt that since he wasn't able to walk on his own, it might be fair to call his foot troubles an injury.

Glad it's not shattered, but from how he hobbled, it must have been badly hurt when he hit Gus with it.

And he fought 4 rounds with a foot he couldn't walk on.

Can you say "championship spirit"?

If not, just stare at that GIF of him hobbling out of the ring and think of how he never let on to that injury during the fight. Now you can say "championship spirit"!

He was clearly walking on it in rounds 2-5. Kicking Gus with it and jumping in the air too.

#shouldhavebeenbornwhite

Funny, nobody said Gus was "too big" for his division. Oh, right. He's WAS born white.... mma fans, gotta love the little buggers.....

Here we go again with attempting to turn yet another sports discussion in to a racial civil rights battle.

#shouldhavebeenbornwhite

Funny, nobody said Gus was "too big" for his division. Oh, right. He's WAS born white.... mma fans, gotta love the little buggers.....

So eager to pull out the race card, do you want to know the real reason people criticize Jon Jones and not Gus? It's because Gustafsson is humble, and comes across as a gentleman. Jon Jones is hypocritical and puts on a false front, and everyone in the media tries to make the wolf bigger than it really it is.

Gus is the People's Champ.

At the end of the day, if that's what you got hang your hat on, I guess you have to make it work somehow. Meanwhile, post more picture of a fighter getting punched and GIFs of the obviously "dominated" Jon Jones. If enough people ridicule Jones on Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forum, Dana will award Gustafsson the strap.

This is a very premature report from a bad source. I will wait till the end of the week when Jones' tests are conclusive to really know.

At the end of the day, if that's what you got hang your hat on, I guess you have to make it work somehow. Meanwhile, post more picture of a fighter getting punched and GIFs of the obviously "dominated" Jon Jones. If enough people ridicule Jones on Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forum, Dana will award Gustafsson the strap.

How does posting a photo which captured an actual moment in the fight qualify as ridicule? When we see numerous highlight videos and photos of Jon Jones successfully performing various strikes and maneuvers is that a form of ridicule against his opponents as well or does this argument only cut one way?

So eager to pull out the race card, do you want to know the real reason people criticize Jon Jones and not Gus? It's because Gustafsson is humble, and comes across as a gentleman. Jon Jones is hypocritical and puts on a false front, and everyone in the media tries to make the wolf bigger than it really it is.

Actually no, I don't. I was referring to the constant accusation that one or another black fighter is "too big for their division". Never heard this complaint about any white fighter in any division, ever. There was even a thread analysing it and everyone agreed that you never hear that about white fighters. Hear about Jon being too big all the time and needing to go to HW, but never heard that complaint about Alex, who is his equal in size.

Must be because he's a gentleman that he's not too big? I think I know what it is, but no need to go there. We're all getting along right just now, so it's fine. Back to the discussion at hand.

Btw - Alex really is a gentleman, though.

And to anyone who seriously wants to argue that white people do not receive that same exact kinds of criticisms about perceived height and reach advantage in combat sports you need to read what is often said about the Klitschko brothers.

He was clearly walking on it in rounds 2-5. Kicking Gus with it and jumping in the air too.

That's my point. That's that warrior spirit I was referring to. I'm sure you understood that.

It's like when Usheba (sp?) was too old to walk and he'd be brought into the dojo on a stretcher, gather his strength, stand up and be untouchable in Aikido, then as soon as the training was done, he'd lose his strength, lie on his stretcher and be carried out of the dojo.

That's warrior spirit. The spirit that animates the body and mind when all other fuels aren't enough. Where normal people fold and don't compete. Some guys gather their energy and focus to compete and then become mortal AFTER the contest ends.

That's Jones and his warrior spirit. We saw it with his arm, his poppped off toe and now his foot that couldn't be walked on.

You can go ahead and admire now. He's not looking.....

2w3p8b8.jpg

Just the ego.

00Pantera-VulgarDisplayOfPower-Front.jpg

And to anyone who seriously wants to argue that white people do not receive that same exact kinds of criticisms about perceived height and reach advantage in combat sports you need to read what is often said about the Klitschko brothers.

I said MMA. Not sure if anyone else said combat sports.

Boxing fans are not generally as outrageous as MMA fans unless discussiong a boxer's chance facing off against an MMA fighter.

Actually no, I don't. I was referring to the constant accusation that one or another black fighter is "too big for their division". Never heard this complaint about any white fighter in any division, ever. There was even a thread analysing it and everyone agreed that you never hear that about white fighters. Hear about Jon being too big all the time and needing to go to HW, but never heard that complaint about Alex, who is his equal in size.

Must be because he's a gentleman that he's not too big? I think I know what it is, but no need to go there. We're all getting along right just now, so it's fine. Back to the discussion at hand.

Btw - Alex really is a gentleman, though.

When Brock Lesnar was having early success in MMA many people initially claimed that his size and strength advantages compensated for his lack of true fighting ability.

I remember when Pantera came to Montreal in the 90s and several blacks and other minorities were assaulted and I believe 1 was even killed by some of their fans who felt that assaulting or killing minorities would show their love of Pantera and the spirit of their music.

Crazy world.

I said MMA. Not sure if anyone else said combat sports.

Boxing fans are not generally as outrageous as MMA fans unless discussiong a boxer's chance facing off against an MMA fighter.

But if you are going to make it about race then you cannot limit the discussion to the parameters which suit your personal interests.

When Brock Lesnar was having early success in MMA many people initially claimed that his size and strength advantages compensated for his lack of true fighting ability.

Did anyone suggest he was too big for HW and should not be in the division? I don't remember that.

I do think his strength and size helped him, as it helps lots of fighters. But that's different than trying to suggest he should leave the division because he's too big for it.

But I give you credit for trying to be level headed about the claim instead of emotional like some others.

I remember when Pantera came to Montreal in the 90s and several blacks and other minorities were assaulted and I believe 1 was even killed by some of their fans who felt that assaulting or killing minorities would show their love of Pantera and the spirit of their music.

Crazy world.

As long as we are on the topic do you want to talk about the racist knockout game which has targeted and even killed some white people all over the country?

But if you are going to make it about race then you cannot limit the discussion to the parameters which suit your personal interests.

I wasn't "making it about race". I was mentioning an interesting statistic/fact about MMA fans in general. That if a fighter is called out to move up divisions because he's too big in MMA, he's black. Not Asian, not Hispanic, not white.

That's not "making it about" anything. It's a simple statement of fact which IS ACTUALLY confined to MMA. It has nothing to do with boxing, gold mining or carpet weaving, it's actually ONLY about MMA fans!

Did anyone suggest he was too big for HW and should not be in the division? I don't remember that.

I do think his strength and size helped him, as it helps lots of fighters. But that's different than trying to suggest he should leave the division because he's too big for it.

But I give you credit for trying to be level headed about the claim instead of emotional like some others.

What other division would there be to put him in? Ever think about that? That is why it was never mentioned. Jones himself has been bragging about moving up in weight class.

I only have a problem with the way that you talk every topic and turn it in to a race discussion.

I wasn't "making it about race". I was mentioning an interesting statistic/fact about MMA fans in general. That if a fighter is called out to move up divisions because he's too big in MMA, he's black. Not Asian, not Hispanic, not white.

That's not "making it about" anything. It's a simple statement of fact which IS ACTUALLY confined to MMA. It has nothing to do with boxing, gold mining or carpet weaving, it's actually ONLY about MMA fans!

So that is making it about race and you conveniently choose to only notice it when it happens to a black fighter.

Back