No leglocks in high level MMA?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
You rarely see them in MMA. Every now and then one pops up, but I can't think of the last time someone seriously attempted one in a title fight. Weidman vs Silva?

Palhares had some good ones, but he never made it to title contention. Imanari back in the day.
Is it even worth it?

Might just be a better use of your time to work your wrestling and striking rather then trying to develop some crazy leg lock game that rarely gets pulled off, and you are rarely in the right position. I remember when everyone was hyping Danahers system, guys like GSP and Rory never successfully used them and probably should have just spent their time with the essentials .

It works in pure grappling situations, but I rarely see it work in MMA. Ryan Hall over Old BJ hardly counts.

Last edited:
I've seen really good leg lockers in the gym try mma sparring, and that shit is just tough, A LOT of leg lock positions allow you to get hit in the face.

Allegedly Danaher has a system for it, but it is yet to be seen at a high level.

Takada leglocking Coleman was some high level stuff...

Last time i actually saw it at HW in the UFC was probably Overeem trying one on Blaydes.

And it didnt look good what he was doing

Garry Tonon is coming. The issue with leg lecks in mma is if you fuck up youre laying on the ground.

USADA is not letting fighters get Palhares arms for cranking the leg

images.jpeg

It's relatively hard to do unless you "tunnelvision" it like Palhares. And then you end up vulnerable if it doesn't work out on your back. So yeah not really worth it for most to do that unless an opportunity presents itself and you have trained it well.

I got a buddy starting out in MMA. He said leg locks aren’t allowed for beginners

Garry has been fighting cans. Imagine him versus Usman.
Imagine a new up and comer fighting usman the champ?
Also tonon wouldnt fight at 170 in the ufc. One doesnt allow weight cutting so he has to there. He could probably get down to 145

Shogun has one.

Babalu doesn't have a single leglock victory in MMA.

Ken did it 25 years ago in Pancrase which didn't allow closed fist strikes.

Yeah I was brainstorming and just came up with Babalu. I remember he had Chael in a heel hook but Chael didn't tap

You rarely see them in MMA. Every now and then one pops up, but I can't think of the last time someone seriously attempted one in a title fight. Weidman vs Silva?

Palhares had some good ones, but he never made it to title contention. Imanari back in the day.
Is it even worth it?

Might just be a better use of your time to work your wrestling and striking rather then trying to develop some crazy leg lock game that rarely gets pulled off, and you are rarely in the right position. I remember when everyone was hyping Danahers system, guys like GSP and Rory never successfully used them and probably should have just spent their time with he essentials . It works in pure grappling situations, but I rarely see if work in MMA. Ryan Hall over Old BJ hardly counts.
"Fighters can't seem to make technique x work, ergo technique x does not work."

Talk about absurdly flawed reasoning.

Like many wrestling moves and and systems you don't see them in MMA because the positions aren't as common

You don't see guys hitting a bunch of snap downs from collar tie in MMA even though that is one of the most effective and common attacks in freestyle wrestling because the positioning is not common and you would get hit in the face trying

Leg locks are common in BJJ and submission grappling because the position is more common and you can't get hit in the face while you do it

"Fighters can't seem to make technique x work, ergo technique x does not work."

Talk about absurdly flawed reasoning.

{<huh}
Who are you quoting?

I literally said it happens, but its rare and almost non-existent at the title contention level.

Imagine a new up and comer fighting usman the champ?
Also tonon wouldnt fight at 170 in the ufc. One doesnt allow weight cutting so he has to there. He could probably get down to 145

He signed a multi-fight exclusive contract with ONE. Not sure how many fights, but he is going to be with them at least another year or two. I doubt a guy who has never cut large amounts of weight is prepared to drop 25 pounds, or even attempt to. He talked about his diet on JRE, and he wasn't afraid to say he eats like shit. 155 is doable.

In his situation, he might be better off to stick with ONE. He might make more in the long run with them, and he can still do grappling stuff. I dont like his chances against the top UFC guys.

Back