No idea where to start for equipment

jaynutter

White Belt
Reaction score
I will begin training in kickboxing, Gi Judo, Gi Jui-Jitsu, and submission wrestling soon.

I have no idea what is appropriate clothing or gear. I was told to get a mouthpiece, cup, 12oz gloves, and a Gi. What brands are economical and decent quality? Would I want compression shorts with a cup, or do I need a separate cup (plastic or steel)?

I just have my normal gym clothes (i.e. shorts, t-shirts) and stay on the cardio and weight machines. Do I want long sleeve compression shirts, or compression shorts? Would the generic grey t-shirts and workout shorts work?

Any help is appreciated. I am preparing myself for getting my ass kicked, but would like to have the appropriate clothing for when it happens.

I am hoping to spend under $100 for a Gi, and under $50 for gloves. No idea on the price for the rest of the equipment. It really depends. If a $100 mouthpiece will saved all my teeth it would be worth it, but if a $5 mouthpiece works just as well and not as pretty then that would work. Overall would like to keep it below $300.

I have no idea where to really start. Looked online, but not sure what is a good price for quality equipment.

You are definitely going to need at least one pair of tapout shorts.

I am hoping to spend under $100 for a Gi, and under $50 for gloves. No idea on the price for the rest of the equipment. It really depends. If a $100 mouthpiece will saved all my teeth it would be worth it, but if a $5 mouthpiece works just as well and not as pretty then that would work. Overall would like to keep it below $300.

I have no idea where to really start. Looked online, but not sure what is a good price for quality equipment.

start off with good inexpensive equipment because you may not enjoy being punched in your face and kicked in your body and may decide to not want to do that.

that being said, http://www.cagesidemma.com is a good place to start

The real question is why are you starting so many endeavors at the same time?

Most gyms, you won't need much to get started: some athletic clothes,a mouthguard, and gis for the gi disciplines. The guys that show up the first day with $500 worth of gear, are great when the quit and sell their equipment dirt cheap in 2 months.

^I'm assuming that these disciplines are being taught at the same school....??

But as was said above, get what your coach/trainer/kru/professor/sensei/master/blah/blah/blah tells you to get.

My suggestion for a cup is not to get a steel cup if you want to use it grappling. I'll wear it to MT practices, but for any grappling or hybrid classes, I'll wear my "carbon flex" cup (https://www.shockdoctor.com/cups-and-supporters)

I like it because it's pretty solid, but the sides are cushioned so it doesn't stick into my leg.

There's a spider(?) cup that some people like to use.

To keep it in place, I use a jock strap (which I'll shorten the back elastic to have fit tighter) and then compression shorts on top just for that extra bit of support.

The real question is why are you starting so many endeavors at the same time?
Yeah, how are you doing all these different martial arts together? I understand if it's MMA, but then you wouldn't need a Judogi and a BJJ gi.

Since you're new to the sport and looks to be on a budget, one thing I can advise you (coming from a very experienced gear whore) for your initial gear, buy cheap/sale or borrowed but make sure it's at least decent quality. Figure out what you like and what sport you'll stay with and then buy quality gear from there.

I remember being gung-ho and buying so much stuff that ended up being barely used and garbage. All that money added up in the end.

Just know, you can train in anything, you don't always need sport specific gear (though it helps). A pair of MMA board shorts, Shock Doctor Gel Max boil and bite mouthguard and compression shorts with cup, some handwraps, and 16 oz. gloves (not sure why you were told 12oz gloves, that's not good to use for sparring), and you can do pretty much anything short of a kimono based sport.

I would buy a judo gi from your judo instructor, you can usually get a cheap Hsu or Dax for $50-75. As long as you're washing it every night, you could use the same gi for BJJ, though it's not ideal, it's certainly doable. I would recommend a second gi for BJJ, you can a decent one from Cageside for $70 right now.

I would recommend grappling shorts and a rashguard for submission wrestling/no-gi as you'll ruin your regular gym shorts and t-shirt.

Hsu Gi: $60
Cageside GI: $70
Cageside fight shorts: $25
Cageside rash guard: $20
KO Fight Gear 12 oz gloves: $39

You can get a mouthpiece and cup at Big 5 or Walmart for about $30 total. A boil-and-bite mouthpiece is just fine for starting out.

Cageside has $5 flat shipping and KO Fight Gear is doing free shipping right now.

Total: $249

I do recommend the KO Fightgear gloves: cheap, and last a long time.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely be ordering some of the gear soon and comparing the prices at the gym.

fyi, all of the disciplines are being taught at the same gym.

Just train in a shirt and a pair of shorts. As others said, you may quit after two or three weeks and there simply is no point in investing hundreds of dollars if that is the case.

My advice?

Handwraps- $3-5
16oz KO Fight Gloves- $40

Everything else- borrow from the gym

If you're only buying one pair of gloves, make sure to get bag gloves instead of sparring gloves. Any gym worth it's salt should provide fighters with headgear and gloves when sparring.

a fugi judo gi is should be good enogh to start. good quality and not to expensive. o and all judo is pacticed with a Gi judo is a very taditional disipline.

Back