Economy No help from Biden: Michigan may shut down again

It doesn't matter whether Trump was brought up or not. You have a history of downplaying the virus and now because someone who you don't support is in office you turn this into partisan politics.

I support sending aid to Michigan to help with the pandemic. You support letting people die. We don't have a difference of opinion, we have a difference of morality.

Florida is way more wild that northern Michigan ever was. And it was through the duration of Covid. People in Florida don’t give a fuck, and people travel there specifically to not give a fuck.

That was not my experience. I was in Indian River, just south of Mackinaw City visiting family and also took the ferry to Mackinac Island and masks were few and far between. In Indian River at least two bars were open, crowded and masks were very option. Pelston Airport is about the only place I saw lots of masks. When in Florida I was in Tampa and Cape Coral and masks were much more common than in Michigan. I didn't tons of places in each state so I may be comparing apples to oranges but those were my person observations.

I support sending aid to Michigan to help with the pandemic. You support letting people die. We don't have a difference of opinion, we have a difference of morality.

Putting aside typical WR chippiness.....how would sending extra vaccines to MI help? They already have too many. Anybody can walk up to Walmart and get one, no appointment necessary. Appointments slots are going unfilled. People aren't even showing up for appointments they have schedules=d.

"Health officials in eastern, central, northern and western Michigan say vaccine appointments are going unfilled even as the state experiences the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the country."

“We have seen the demand wane,” said Steve Hall, the health officer for the six-county Central Michigan Health Department in the northern Lower Peninsula. “We’re struggling (to fill appointments) right now.”

In three of the department’s counties, slots are still open for vaccine clinics this week in Standish, Clare and Gladwin, he said.

In the Thumb, the hardest-hit region in the hardest-hit state, residents are well aware of both the spike of cases and the availability of the vaccine, said Ann Hepfer, health officer of Huron and Tuscola counties.

Yet a vaccine clinic last week had more than 200 no-shows. And you can walk right up at the local Walmart and get a shot without waiting, she said.

“If they’re not busting down our door (now), they’re not interested,” she said."

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...ine-declines-parts-michigan-even-covid-surges

That was not my experience. I was in Indian River, just south of Mackinaw City visiting family and also took the ferry to Mackinac Island and masks were few and far between. In Indian River at least two bars were open, crowded and masks were very option. Pelston Airport is about the only place I saw lots of masks. When in Florida I was in Tampa and Cape Coral and masks were much more common than in Michigan. I didn't tons of places in each state so I may be comparing apples to oranges but those were my person observations.

Have a gander at how Miami has behaved this entire time.

Even with Trumps vaccine flooding the public, Biden can't get control of this virus. *smh*

Putting aside typical WR chippiness.....how would sending extra vaccines to MI help? They already have too many. Anybody can walk up to Walmart and get one, no appointment necessary. Appointments slots are going unfilled. People aren't even showing up for appointments they have schedules=d.

"Health officials in eastern, central, northern and western Michigan say vaccine appointments are going unfilled even as the state experiences the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the country."

“We have seen the demand wane,” said Steve Hall, the health officer for the six-county Central Michigan Health Department in the northern Lower Peninsula. “We’re struggling (to fill appointments) right now.”

In three of the department’s counties, slots are still open for vaccine clinics this week in Standish, Clare and Gladwin, he said.

In the Thumb, the hardest-hit region in the hardest-hit state, residents are well aware of both the spike of cases and the availability of the vaccine, said Ann Hepfer, health officer of Huron and Tuscola counties.

Yet a vaccine clinic last week had more than 200 no-shows. And you can walk right up at the local Walmart and get a shot without waiting, she said.

“If they’re not busting down our door (now), they’re not interested,” she said."

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...ine-declines-parts-michigan-even-covid-surges

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...gan-covid-surge-vaccine-push-face-the-nation/

Even with Trumps vaccine flooding the public, Biden can't get control of this virus. *smh*

He could. He just doesn't care. Have you seen his press secretary wearing masks at the press conferences? Neither have I. Its just an administration that takes the pandemic seriously.

https://www.newsweek.com/michigans-...b-gretchen-whitmer-shuns-new-lockdown-1582857
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/politics/michigan-joe-biden-gretchen-whitmer-covid-19/index.html

Damn. Biden has betrayed the people of Michigan and have basically left them to die. Because of his mishandling of the Covid crisis, repeatedly refusing to listen to the scientists or to take the pandemic seriously, Michigan is once again at full hospital capacity. A lot of people there are calling it the Biden virus. Governor Whitmer, who everyone almost unanimously agrees has shown profound leadership throughout the crisis, has repeatedly pleaded with Biden to send help to the state, but his regime has completely rebuked her, telling her to just shut the state down instead. I'm sorry Michigan friends. Its going to be a tough summer for you guys. You'll be in my prayers.

I think everyone understands at this point that Whitmer is just aiming for that "exasperated doing whatever she can" look that got Cuomo so much praise early on. It's her only option left as everything else she has done badly damaged the state and many of its citizens, while simultaneously doing jack-shit to slow the spread. Is locking down again really an option when the last 2 were objective failures? Especially when all 3 of our neighboring states are open, doing way better than us somehow, and 2 of them don't even have mask mandates anymore.

She recently tried to ask schools to "voluntarily" shut down in-person learning and sports for 2 weeks. By my rough calculation (based on news and facebook), about 90% rejected her request. Only the left-wing ultras (like East Lansing and Ann Arbor) went ahead and complied with her request. More and more people are waking up to how badly her response failed this state. I doubt she runs in 2022.

Anyway, Biden is correct here. A surge of vaccines would take a month to have any impact, and our cases will be down by then (we are simply running out of people that haven't been infected or vaccinated). Their "whack-a-mole" analogy is actually spot on. Not that I like Biden, but good on them for not making a bad decision to help a political ally.

I believe the Republican legislature blocked her in court. Also, many counties and cities specifically said that they would not enforce safeguards. I was in Northern Michigan last July and December. Masks were very few and far between. I took a crowded ferry with a couple hundred folks and I’ll bet mask usage was about 25%. Michigan never had a chance. I have been to Florida several times also and they are doing a better job.

Republicans did not block her in court. Her EOs were struck down as unconstitutional, so she basically switched to having the orders comes through surrogates at the MDHHS. There have been no changes to the orders, and the legal authority of the MDHHS to make such orders is still making its way through the courts. Technically the MDHHS could ignore the governor, but she has the power to fire/appoint it's leadership. There have been several "resignations" with lump-sum payouts and Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Also: If you took a crowded ferry, that means it was summer and our cases were down to 200 a day (the ferry does not run in December). Obviously that outdoor ferry ride didn't do a whole lot to spread cases in July. I have no idea what Indian River looked like in July or December, but you are talking about a very un-populated area. It's nice that you got to visit there, but whether a tiny village up north wears masks or not does not have a whole lot of effect on the rest of the state.

Darwinism.. Michigan doesn't want help. Just like Florida. Maybe this will kill off a large amount of the low IQ and make the US a smarter place. Of course Harley Davidson will go bankrupt..

Republicans did not block her in court. Her EOs were struck down as unconstitutional, so she basically switched to having the orders comes through surrogates at the MDHHS. There have been no changes to the orders, and the legal authority of the MDHHS to make such orders is still making its way through the courts. Technically the MDHHS could ignore the governor, but she has the power to fire/appoint it's leadership. There have been several "resignations" with lump-sum payouts and Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Also: If you took a crowded ferry, that means it was summer and our cases were down to 200 a day (the ferry does not run in December). Obviously that outdoor ferry ride didn't do a whole lot to spread cases in July. I have no idea what Indian River looked like in July or December, but you are talking about a very un-populated area. It's nice that you got to visit there, but whether a tiny village up north wears masks or not does not have a whole lot of effect on the rest of the state.

Thanks for clarifying regarding the Governor. The ferry runs in December and January unless there is ice. I’ve been on it then, though not this year. About half the ferry is very much inside and enclosed. Long bench seats with everybody sitting should to shoulder. Like I said, I could be comparing apples to oranges, it was just my anecdotal evidence. What do you suppose is causing the surge in cases compared other states with seemingly less strict rules? Just bad luck? General relaxing when activities were still mostly inside vs outside in the South?

https://www.newsweek.com/michigans-...b-gretchen-whitmer-shuns-new-lockdown-1582857
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/politics/michigan-joe-biden-gretchen-whitmer-covid-19/index.html

Damn. Biden has betrayed the people of Michigan and have basically left them to die. Because of his mishandling of the Covid crisis, repeatedly refusing to listen to the scientists or to take the pandemic seriously, Michigan is once again at full hospital capacity. A lot of people there are calling it the Biden virus. Governor Whitmer, who everyone almost unanimously agrees has shown profound leadership throughout the crisis, has repeatedly pleaded with Biden to send help to the state, but his regime has completely rebuked her, telling her to just shut the state down instead. I'm sorry Michigan friends. Its going to be a tough summer for you guys. You'll be in my prayers.

Wait, His Fraudulency hasn't exercised his magical POTUS powers and suppressed the plague in Detroit? I for one am shocked.

Thanks for clarifying regarding the Governor. The ferry runs in December and January unless there is ice. I’ve been on it then, though not this year. About half the ferry is very much inside and enclosed. Long bench seats with everybody sitting should to shoulder. Like I said, I could be comparing apples to oranges, it was just my anecdotal evidence. What do you suppose is causing the surge in cases compared other states with seemingly less strict rules? Just bad luck? General relaxing when activities were still mostly inside vs outside in the South?

You are correct, they run it a few times a day unril the ice stops them. I’ve always assumed only locals used the ferry at that time (as most everything is closed), but I’ve always been long gone from the area when the season ends.

As for why Michigan right now and not our neighbors? I don’t know exactly. Our restrictions are still stricter than many realize. The state forces 5 year olds to wear masks while playing soccer outside, which is completely insane. Anyone older than 12 has to test multiple times a week, or they can’t play baseball. We have capacity limits and mask-mandates nearly everywhere. Maybe Indian River looks more normal, but the Lansing and Jackson areas I spend time in sure don't, and they are the worst areas in the country for Covid right now according to the New York Times.

There are some that think the forced testing of athletes is inflating our cases. No other state does that state-wide. Perhaps our previous strategy to lock-down our young people more than our neighboring states is back-firing now that they finally have to go to school and fewer of our kids have immunity than elsewhere. But honestly, I think our current situation is just the same thing that happened when New York/Wisconsin/South Dakota/Arizona/California/Florida/almost every other state took turns being the epicenter. It's a global virus, it's good at spreading, and once clusters start in your state, it's gonna do what it does. Everything we have done (or everything that has been forced on us, to be more accurate) to "fight" this has simply hurt more people for nothing.

Biden’s leaving people to die now? You’re being a little overdramatic considering you once said the US could have done nothing and you wouldn’t know it was much worse than a bad flu?

Their reasoning makes sense on the surface. It also leaves a terrible visual. Not sure why they couldn’t do something.

Here is your quote:
That's true everywhere though. Its not like bodies are piling up in the streets in Sweden. The disease has an ifr <1% and the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic, or a minor cold. If the media didn't fear monger this pandemic, the US could have done nothing, and you wouldn't have known this much worse than just a bad flu season.

Last edited:
Big gretch is a piece of shit and Michigan is much more than Detroit... And no one here wants anything from Biden but for him to leave us alone. The only ones who want his help are those on the partisan teet, those who have taken the bait and been abandoned only to be used when convenient, they are asking "but what about us father?" And like in their personal lives, father doesn't give a shit...

how are you going to send support from canada?

seriously?

Back