1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

No glove punching

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jarra22, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jarra22

jarra22 White Belt

My friend told me that before i can punch someone(at full force) in the head/face without hurting my hands i should be able to do at least 20 knuckle pushups on a hardwood/cement floor. Is this true?

2. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

Try it.

3. jarra22

jarra22 White Belt

i cant do 20 knuckle pushups on cement and ive never punched someone full force in the face/head without a glove on.

4. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

The face and head are very hard and boney. Without protection, it is very easy to damage your hands when punching someone in the face. Before the advent of modern boxing gloves, punches to the head were underutilized due to the threat of hand injury (boxer's knuckle, boxer's fracture or a MC fracture, thumb sprains, ganglionic cysts, laceration).

Karateka practice knuckle push ups to harden the tissues in the hand so that the bones are held in place better and so the bones may be harder. There is no real research proving whether or not this does anything, although it makes some sense. I can do 20 knuckle push ups but still be worried about hand injury. That said, a good punch to the face can put an attacker out.

Why do you ask this question?

5. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

Ask your friend, if you can test his theory on him, prior to the bare knuckle push ups. After all if it is true, and he firmly believes it, his nose "shouldn't" get broken. If he is not willing to do it, maybe he doesn't really believe his theory is true. :rolleyes:

:icon_chee

6. phanattic

phanattic Orange Belt

kicking people in the head (barefoot), now that hurts both parties involved

7. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

You have to hit the soft tissues of the face the back of the head can hurt your hands

8. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

Ya, but the chin and brow are friggin hard and easy to hurt your hand on.

9. BOMB LEFT HOOK

BOMB LEFT HOOK Banned Banned

WTF?

What is this Fight Club?

10. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

That's true, however if the guy you are punching has been doing face pushups on concrete then his facial tissue will be harder and you will still hurt your hand.

11. luke2342

luke2342 Orange Belt

Bad example used by your friend. Consider this.

How many knuckle push ups on concrete do you think someone like Roy Nelson or James Toney could do?

They would have a much better chance of not breaking their hands on someone skull than a proffesional on concrete knuckle push upperrer.

Technique > Hand protection > Hand conditionning > Knuckle-pushups on concrete.

12. Cannon_6

Cannon_6 Green Belt

Your friend is wrong. It is common knowledge that in order to throw full-power bareknuckle punches, you have to do your push-ups on broken glass and flaming excrement.

13. surfer dude

surfer dude Blue Belt

I wanted to discuss these 2 points:

Are you referring to the days when boxing gloves were stuffed with horse hair, and boxers were trained to turn the fist over for strikes? Because back in the bare knuckled prize fighter days, they kept their palms facing upward when they struck for good reason. Because it was much less likely to result in injury. Even then, I do not remember seeing films of old fights where the body shots dominated the action.

And while we do knuckle ups in karate; makiwara, tameshiwari, and (depending on where you train) many of other methods are used for conditioning. And all the open hand strikes exist with purpose. ;)

14. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

Lmao.:icon_lol:

So true. Don't ever neglect the importance of face pushups.

15. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

Surfer dude- To be honest, I got this from anectodal information used in a few biomechanics research papers I used. I'm in class right now (yay medical school) on a newer computer. Pleae Pm me to remind me, and I will send you the articles (there may be citations). Sorry that's the best I can offer.

I've actually done knockdown karate for a few years myself, so I know about the different hands hardening methods. I've actually been really interested in trying to put together a study about what effect hand training has on protecting the hand. Actually any thoughts on how to test hand hardness would be helpful :redface:

16. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Proper technique and power will probably break your opponents face.....and your hand.

I highly doubt that knuckle push-ups will help strengthen the bones in the hand. Just take lots of calcium everyday and hope for the best TS.