No-gi question

kumite

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to a no-gi seminar this afternoon. I have never done any no-gi training. So this will be a really stupid newbie question. What is normal attire for no-gi training? I don't own a pair of shorts that aren't denim so that leaves sweats annd gi pants. I don't have a rashguard but I do have an under armor shirt I wear when lifting. Is that close enough or is a t-shirt ok? Thanks in advance.

C'mon guys, I don't want to walk into this seminar looking stupid.

Lotsa guys in our no gi classes wear gi pants, and rashguard or t-shirt is fine. board shorts and t shirts most common.

Dude, I'd love to help you, but I have no idea. The under armor shirt should be fine, but as for shorts... I don't know.

under armor is fine, you can wear gi pants a lot of people do

The article What to Expect on Your First Class gives you a good idea of what works for no-gi classes:
T-shirts, board shorts and sweat pants are all fine...

Do NOT wear anything with extra pockets, belt loops or baggy fabric.

These are dangerous since fingers and toes can get caught in them. Baggy cargo shorts are a commonly worn example of what not to wear.

If you already own them, you can wear any protective gear (knee braces, ear guards, mouth guard, cup, etc.)...​

I wear my Gi pants and just a regular T-shirt (not too loose) that I tuck into my Gi pants. That is it, and it works fine.

Wolverine
///

A pair of basketball shorts and a T-shirt work fine for me when I go to nogi. You could just wear gi pants a t shirt.

Either sweats or gi pants should be fine, nonoe will mind if you wear a t-shirt but I'd try to wear one that isnt too loose as it can get in the way and it might be an idea to tuck it in.

Back