no gi JJ

W

William Cummings

just back from my first class, we covered the armbar, kimura, triangle and the RNC, we did an hour and a half of training and the an hour of rolling, ive never been so tired in my whole life, i have a new level of respect for anyone that fights.

basically im here to ask what i can do to get fitter, i didnt wanna ask anyone at the gym, but im really unfit and need to work on that, what should i eat or not eat or some cardio exorcises.

really? our teacher is a blue belt, he seemed really good, we were split into pairs there was 14 people there

Wrong forum for this.

Go to strength and conditioning, although, id recommend an actual training website vs. the one here on sherdogs, because those guys are pricks.

i just assumed the grappling forum would be better for it, its much harder than i thought lol

that's a lot of material to go over in one night

I agree.
There is only so much you will be able to retain after one class.
You can go over so much and feel like your getting it, but will you really remember every little detail by the next class.

Wow. That is a lot of stuff for your first night.

I did DLR Guard and variants (plus rolling) for like the first 3 weeks. That's pretty much it. Ok, im exaggerating a little, but 4 subs in a class is a full class.

It most of the classes I have been in, we work 1 guard, 1 sub and 1 escape...usually all mixed in together. And usually repeat it, or a variant of it for a week.

To make a long story short, keep rolling and keep training, you'll be in better shape right quick.

To give you the long story of it... Cut out the following from your life...

1- All pork products. The pig is the most disgusting animal ever to exist, it eats its own fecal matter, it eats dead pigs, it eats living rats (gobbles them up in one bite), without having to be tricked into it (cows have eaten dead cows, but only when the dead cow is ground up and mixed in with grain feed and they are tricked into eating it).

2- All shellfish, cat-fish, snails, anything that is a bottom-feeder, etc. These things will be rich in pollutants that sink to the bottom, such as heavy metals (arsenic, lead, mercury, etc).

3- All artificial sweeteners (Aspartame aka NutraSweet is the biggest offender, not to mention a known human carcinogen).

4- All caffeine.

5- Most/all alcohol (I stopped drinking alcohol when I started training and getting serious about things).

6- Tobacco products (they raise your risk of heart disease, lung cancer, oral cancer, throat cancer, urinary bladder cancer, and wreck your cardio).

7- High fructose corn-syrup (this is a vile thing that does not belong in our food). If you are absolutely attached to soda, there are a few companies that make special cane sugar soda, with no HFCS. However these companies are rare and the soda is somewhat pricey. I would limit myself to one or two cane sugar sodas per week or per two weeks.

8- BHT and TBHQ, these are known human carcinogens and they are typically used in the embalming process for bodies. They wound up being used in food as preservatives for flavor and their consumption may lead to a mountain of problems in the short-term (headaches, migraines, etc) and the long-term (cancer/death). Some of the worst offenders for using BHT and TBHQ are frozen meal companies and candy bar companies.

I agree.
There is only so much you will be able to retain after one class.
You can go over so much and feel like your getting it, but will you really remember every little detail by the next class.

you recommend i go elsewhere? its just at my local community centre and costs

To make a long story short, keep rolling and keep training, you'll be in better shape right quick.

1- All pork products. The pig is the most disgusting animal ever to exist, it eats its own fecal matter, it eats dead pigs, it eats living rats (gobbles them up in one bite), without having to be tricked into it (cows have eaten dead cows, but only when the dead cow is ground up and mixed in with grain feed and they are tricked into eating it).

2- All shellfish, cat-fish, snails, anything that is a bottom-feeder, etc. These things will be rich in pollutants that sink to the bottom, such as heavy metals (arsenic, lead, mercury, etc).

3- All artificial sweeteners (Aspartame aka NutraSweet is the biggest offender, not to mention a known human carcinogen).

4- All caffeine.

5- Most/all alcohol (I stopped drinking alcohol when I started training and getting serious about things).

6- Tobacco products (they raise your risk of heart disease, lung cancer, oral cancer, throat cancer, urinary bladder cancer, and wreck your cardio).

7- High fructose corn-syrup (this is a vile thing that does not belong in our food). If you are absolutely attached to soda, there are a few companies that make special cane sugar soda, with no HFCS. However these companies are rare and the soda is somewhat pricey. I would limit myself to one or two cane sugar sodas per week or per two weeks.

8- BHT and TBHQ, these are known human carcinogens and they are typically used in the embalming process for bodies. They wound up being used in food as preservatives for flavor and their consumption may lead to a mountain of problems in the short-term (headaches, migraines, etc) and the long-term (cancer/death). Some of the worst offenders for using BHT and TBHQ are frozen meal companies and candy bar companies.

thanks and saved :)

First of all, it is very difficult for someone new to grappling to judge how good someone else is at BJJ. Someone who has been training for a few months will seem God-like to you, even though they probably suck. That's the cool thing about BJJ.

An instructor that shows those 4 moves in a single class, especially if it's a beginner class, doesn't sound like a very good instructor. Each one of those moves has many nuances that can't be covered in such a short span of time.

If you want to get fitter for BJJ, train as much BJJ as possible. It's better to spend your time training more BJJ than spending it doing some other sort of conditioning. However, if you have extra time left over, conditioning outside of BJJ will help.

Finally, I suggest you find the best instructor and school in your area. Try as many different schools as possible before you make your choice. If you are serious about competing in BJJ then find out which team in your area has the best competition results and go train there.

4- All caffeine.

These instructions are also good if you are looking for a way to take all the fun out of life.:icon_chee

Train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That's the best and only way to get fit for it. You just have to do it and stay with it. While working out int he gym and running may help with your overall fitness, nothing can prepare youfor BJJ like BJJ.

you just need to train more.

I think there is a crossfit website somewhere which covers conditioning.

I've read that caffeine can actually help with athletic performance.

As for the number of submissions gone over that night - that's one of the problems with having a blue belt as an instructor. BJJ is like a language and your submissions, positions, and transitions are all words. At first you learn individual words but eventually you'll learn sentences, paragraphs and eventually you'll start winning arguments.

You have just learned 5 new words, but not the sentences they belong in. You might not have learned the transitions, or you opponents reactions that illicit the use of those submissions etc. Learning from a Blue belt is like learning a language from a teenager. Learning from a black belt is like learning a language from a master linguist.

If the blue belt is the only person available then you should keep learning from him, but eventually you'll want to learn BJJ from someone with a true mastery of the art.

Do you wanna get better at bjj or just more in shape? If you wanna get in shape just do like pushups, shitups, burpies, lunges, that kinda stuff. Do all those exercises you do before class but everyday. And run a lot it obviously helps with stamina. Dont eat any junk food at all and avoid anything with bad fats. Meat and fish is good though.

Do you wanna get better at bjj or just more in shape? If you wanna get in shape just do like pushups, shitups, burpies, lunges, that kinda stuff. Do all those exercises you do before class but everyday. And run a lot it obviously helps with stamina. Dont eat any junk food at all and avoid anything with bad fats. Meat and fish is good though.

I don't even want to know how those are done :icon_chee

Back