No Gi Jiu Jitsu. How often does your gym train takedowns?

One thing that i found works really well is drilling Wrestling outside class time
(Before/after class or open mat)

Just drill the entries. For an instance, pummel 3 times then entry to a greco roman throw. Or drill single/dbl legs constantly without taking you partner down.

It's not the same but its the best option when the mats are full...

Yeah. I love open mat!

it's great for drilling wrestling, ground techniques

Or just rolling from stand up.

Or drilling self defense techniques

Takedowns every 3 months? Wow.
well every BJJ class is focused on takedowns that week, so it can be pretty intensive. Also we sometimes do takedowns during the day no-gi class which one of the brown belts runs, and nearly always during the mma class on mondays. Plus we can do whatever want during the open mat on saturdays. But yeah, I want to find another place to do wrestling, anywhere I can work on (no gi) takedowns really. I wish there was a wrestling club or NJCAA team or something at my school, but nothing.

I definitely have picked up some wrestling though, it's not as much as I would like but it's better than other gyms which literally don't do takedowns at all!
One thing that i found works really well is drilling Wrestling outside class time
(Before/after class or open mat)

Just drill the entries. For an instance, pummel 3 times then entry to a greco roman throw. Or drill single/dbl legs constantly without taking you partner down.

It's not the same but its the best option when the mats are full...
That's a damn good idea and definitely something I can work on a lot with my coach Mark "God of Wrestling" (to me) Vogel. Cheers

Mark changed my shots forever, I shitdove face-first for peoples legs by default before I asked him if he did wrestling lessons.

Last edited:
well every BJJ class is focused on takedowns that week, so it can be pretty intensive. Also we sometimes do takedowns during the day no-gi class which one of the brown belts runs, and nearly always during the mma class on mondays. Plus we can do whatever want during the open mat on saturdays. But yeah, I want to find another place to do wrestling, anywhere I can work on (no gi) takedowns really. I wish there was a wrestling club or NJCAA team or something at my school, but nothing.

I definitely have picked up some wrestling though, it's not as much as I would like but it's better than other gyms which literally don't do takedowns at all!That's a damn good idea and definitely something I can work on a lot with my coach Mark "God of Wrestling" (to me) Vogel. Cheers

Mark changed my shots forever, I shitdove face-first for peoples legs by default before I asked him if he did wrestling lessons.

Sounds good.

Open mat is really a good time to practice everything from takedowns to subs to transitions.

Sounds good.

Open mat is really a good time to practice everything from takedowns to subs to transitions.
I usually just do rolling or mma sparring if people are down, but yeah, it's good stuff. I haven't actually been to one in months which makes me feel like shit. Gotta get back to grinding.

We start from the feet unless the class is too packed. Takedown drills in the curriculum at least every other week, plus the whole judo schedule.

Wrestling is grappling

Train it everyday positional drills and roll from stand up

My current BJJ place is mixed gi/no gi, and we start every class working on takedowns (or throws in my case). In fact, I've trained at several BJJ places, and we've done takedowns and started rolls standing at each place. It wasn't until I started reading posts in f12 that I even heard of BJJ schools that never did any work standing. It was flabbergasting.

Nearly everyone I train with currently has a wrestling background, as well. I think the fact that my state is one of the premier wrestling states in the US probably has something to do with it.

My current BJJ place is mixed gi/no gi, and we start every class working on takedowns (or throws in my case). In fact, I've trained at several BJJ places, and we've done takedowns and started rolls standing at each place. It wasn't until I started reading posts in f12 that I even heard of BJJ schools that never did any work standing. It was flabbergasting.

Nearly everyone I train with currently has a wrestling background, as well. I think the fact that my state is one of the premier wrestling states in the US probably has something to do with it.

Yeah. Im thinking a good ratio between a good BJJ school is 70% ground game and 30% stand up game

100% of only ground game is really an incomplete experience in my opinion.

Im pretty happy with my mma gym because it's 50/50 with stand up and ground techniques.

We had a trial takedown class that was held once a week, and lasted for about 3 months. It's not on the schedule anymore, so no more takedowns at my place. It's a shame, because I came from an MMA school where the BJJ was so-so but we started on the feet. The BJJ at this place is pretty high level, but now my takedowns suck. It has me hesitant to compete again.

One of our two black belts teaches takedowns every class. He teaches 3 gi classes and 2 no-gi classes each week. Depending on the size of the class we have the option of starting sparring from the feet in most classes.

We encourage takedowns but also drill proper and safe pulling open guard. When we're doing specific training from standing we encourage the takedown or specify that if you pull you have 30 seconds to complete the sweep.

We train takedowns at least once a week.. Not really something we put too much emphasis on.

takedowns and basic wrestling drills should be part of the warm ups for every class. even if you don't go live its a great way to get warmed up.

Monday AM no gi BJJ - with takedowns drilling & rolling from feet
Monday Kids BJJ - w/ Judo drilling & rolling from feet
Monday PM no gi BJJ - with takedowns drilling & rolling from feet
Wednesday AM BJJ - with Judo drilling & rolling from feet
Wednesday Kids BJJ - w/ Judo drilling & rolling from feet
Wednesday PM MMA - with takedowns drilling & rolling from feet
Friday AM BJJ - with Judo drilling & rolling from feet
Friday Kids No-Gi BJJ - Newaza/Ground drilling & rolling from feet
Friday Kids Wrestling - From the feet (obviously)
Saturday MMA - takedowns drilling & rolling from feet

Our Tuesday & Thursday BJJ classes don't train much standup, and pretty much never start rolling from feet. Those are our busiest classes. And all rolling from feet is semi-optional. If a person doesn't want to do it, they can opt to start down, or pull guard. But I try to persuade them to at least TRY a tomoe nage instead of a guard pull. Kids classes, MMA and wrestling, it's not optional. Although we sometimes do positional drilling.

Back