no gi guy drop ins on Gi class

Qtip inspector

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
my backround:
4 1/2 yrs 90% nogi.
been a blue belt in nogi for over 3

I cross train now and again at a Gi school. I talked to the instructor( known him for a long time) and said I wanted to be respectful and wear a white belt in the Gi, he says yes, I should wear the white belt. Now thats all fine cause everyone knew my skills and wasn't a big deal.

Now I've been doing alot of traveling and drop ins and do as much Gi as no gi and I wear a white belt. I tell the instructor my history blah blah , don't really want to ask every instructor what belt to wear.
So this is why I ask. It seems more than not that I end up getting some nasty stares from upper belts that I roll with assuming because I'm wearing a white belt and obviously i roll better than a white( I don't have much issue using the Gi). I try to explain after the roll that I am just not ranked in "BJJ" but they already seem to not care anymore and move on. my instructor says " you are a blue, wear a blue"
when I tell him this. I am interested in making friends, not look like a sandbagger.

my backround:
4 1/2 yrs 90% nogi.

I cross train now and again at a Gi school. I talked to the instructor( known him for a long time) and said I wanted to be respectful and wear a white belt in the Gi, he says yes, I should wear the white belt. Now thats all fine cause everyone knew my skills and wasn't a big deal.

Now I've been doing alot of traveling and drop ins and do as much Gi as no gi and I wear a white belt. I tell the instructor my history blah blah , don't really want to ask every instructor what belt to wear.
So this is why I ask. It seems more than not that I end up getting some nasty stares from upper belts that I roll with assuming because I'm wearing a white belt and obviously i roll better than a white( I don't have much issue using the Gi). I try to explain after the roll that I am just not ranked in "BJJ" but they already seem to not care anymore and move on. my instructor says " you are a blue, wear a blue"
when I tell him this. I am interested in making friends, not look like a sandbagger.

If your instructor says you're a blue, you're a blue. Screw the haters.

what he said. eff the haters and the donkey they rode in on.

It's training who cares really. I'm sure everyone's rolled with awesome <insert belt here> that the felt should really be <insert another belt>.

IMO if one drops in, you should always wear a white belt and but talk to the instructor about any relevant experience.

my backround:
4 1/2 yrs 90% nogi.

Wear one of those nogi bluebelt rash guards you wear on ibjjf no gi comps and make sure that you leave you lapels open enough so everyone can see.

then when the guys pissed off at you, just be like "dude, you see this rash guard? you see it has over 10% blue? You have been warned."

Looks like you just got promoted to blue belt in the gi, congrats.

To TS, if I turn up at your club. Do you recognise my BJJ rank of purple belt?

if your instructor told you to wear a blue belt, then wear a blue belt. there's no such thing as no-gi belts, if you're a "blue belt in no-gi" you're a blue belt in gi.

if your instructor told you to wear a blue belt, then wear a blue belt. there's no such thing as no-gi belts, if you're a "blue belt in no-gi" you're a blue belt in gi.

This

my backround:
4 1/2 yrs 90% nogi.

Dude dont worry about the belt. No need to explain what you are. I drop in all the time, If they ask if I have trained I say yes, If they ask how long I say a couple years on and off. Techncally its been like 3 years since I started but I took a full year off..often train like once a week ect. You are what you are. I got no problem being a whitebelt even though I can outposition and/or submint 90% of the blue belts I come across. White belt for life is fine. Keeps you humble and expectations low. Although I suppose the extra incentive of belt promotion can act as a strong motivator for many.

Back