NINTENDO SWITCH (formerly Nintendo NX): 9th Gen Nintendo Console, Successor to Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

NDA SHMENDA.

I know things that I'm not "supposed to know", (again, as I know people who work for Nintendo on the DEV side) so...whatever. :p

You know a Nintendo Dev? Interesting... anything else they can reveal without getting caught or in trouble?

You know a Nintendo Dev? Interesting... anything else they can reveal without getting caught or in trouble?

Not as such...

But contrary to what a lot of people say, The Switch really is a technological feat. (I've talked at length about this with some in the know friends)

Mind you, the limited ram was a dumb move.

Also, like me, he thinks The Switch should've been marketed as a handheld which can also be played on TV in part because of the chance of a non-very-successful outing...which could (in his opinion) leave a proper upcoming console as their ace in the hole.

Now, in terms of my opinion of a "proper console"...don't get me started.

If I was the Nintendo Emperor...all would bow before me; it would be the golden age of gaming (which would hearken back the the SNES) and...all would be good in the land. :D

EDIT: He also thinks that The Switch is being released too soon. He (like many others) would prefer a more robust launch line-up.

Not as such...

But contrary to what a lot of people say, The Switch really is a technological feat. (I've talked at length about this with some in the know friends)

Mind you, the limited ram was a dumb move.

Also, like me, he thinks The Switch should've been marketed as a handheld which can also be played on TV in part because of the chance of a non-very-successful outing...which could (in his opinion) leave a proper upcoming console as their ace in the hole.

Now, in terms of my opinion of a "proper console"...don't get me started.

If I was the Nintendo Emperor...all would bow before me; it would be the golden age of gaming (which would hearken back the the SNES) and...all would be good in the land. :D

EDIT: He also thinks that The Switch is being released too soon. He (like many others) would prefer a more robust launch line-up.

if the rumors are true, they could be making a more powerful dock for the console

if the rumors are true, they could be making a more powerful dock for the console

Those rumors are rather old news. (as you probably know)

...but yes, that was a possibility from the start. (which most people probably don't know?)

Now, whether or not it materializes...who knows.

The success or failure of units sold within a certain time-frame will dictate the outcome of said upgrade...and that's all I'll say about that.

Lastly...if only Nintendo would make a traditional console (horsepower FIRST) that is................................................................modular.

Yes yes, I know that Nintendo is not hardware oriented, but...The Switch is something you pull out of the bag when you have momentum, or at the very least when you have a slew of games AT THE READY...as opposed to just ONE AAA 1st party game and tech demos....................

PLEASE NOTE: The Joycons are amazing from a "potential" standpoint, but upon release, the word "gimmicky" WILL be at the fore compared to the kind of WHOA games that could be made given enough time + freedom + creative license.

For example, they could have made THE BEST REALISM BASED BOXING GAME EVER with relative EASE...given the nature of the Joycons. (the mini games ((training based)) alone would be AWESOME)

...not that ARMS is a poor game, but it's not "launch line-up" worthy compared to what could have been.

They could have (again, for example) made a Dungeons & Dragons rip off game where you could (at it's most ideal strength) play with up to 8 friends in a room with one cart whilst one (or multiple) people play the Dungeon Master role in a scenario that is either grabbed from the cloud, or one in which the scenario was created by said Dungeon Masters...

Or all the players could tackle a mission together...etc. (in official, or player created challenges from the cloud)

The possibilities are HUGE with such a concept.

On and on.

Last edited:
Those rumors are rather old news. (as you probably know)

...but yes, that was a possibility from the start. (which most people probably don't know?)

Now, whether or not it materializes...who knows.

The success or failure of units sold within a certain time-frame will dictate the outcome of said upgrade...and that's all I'll say about that.

Lastly...if only Nintendo would make a traditional console (horsepower FIRST) that is................................................................modular.

Yes yes, I know that Nintendo is not hardware oriented, but...The Switch is something you pull out of the bag when you have momentum, or at the very least when you have a slew of games AT THE READY...as opposed to just ONE AAA 1st party game and tech demos....................

PLEASE NOTE: The Joycons are amazing from a "potential" standpoint, but upon release, the word "gimmicky" WILL be at the fore compared to the kind of WHOA games that could be made given enough time + freedom + creative license.

For example, they could have made THE BEST REALISM BASED BOXING GAME EVER with relative EASE...given the nature of the Joycons. (the mini games ((training based)) alone would be AWESOME)

...not that ARMS is a poor game, but it's not "launch line-up" worthy compared to what could have been.

They could have (again, for example) made a Dungeons & Dragons rip off game where you could (at it's most ideal strength) play with up to 8 friends in a room with one cart whilst one (or multiple) people play the Dungeon Master role in a scenario that is either grabbed from the cloud, or one in which the scenario was created by said Dungeon Masters...

Or all the players could tackle a mission together...etc. (in official, or player created challenges from the cloud)

The possibilities are HUGE with such a concept.

On and on.

well those rumors arent that new, that was a leak from foxcon recently that they have a 4k switch or "switch 2"

About a month removed from the official conference, and less than a month before release, and there's almost no buzz for this system what-so-ever. This thing is going to be a flop of epic proportions.

About a month removed from the official conference, and less than a month before release, and there's almost no buzz for this system what-so-ever. This thing is going to be a flop of epic proportions.

Uhh...what?

There are Youtube videos all the damn time breaking down every facet of info possible.

The "buzz" or lack thereof isn't the key to success.

What actually matters are the GAMES.

In the end, The switch CAN be successful if it gains momentum and 3rd party companies actaully care about developing games for it.

Also, one thing is CERTAIN...it WILL be far more successful than the Wii U.

Marketh my words.

The industry is changing. More and more people are buying gaming computers. It's not like 20 years ago when it was really a niche hobby for computer geeks. Gaming PC sales just overtook console sales this year for the first time ever and the gap will only keep widening.

Go to a gaming convention and you will see how dominating games are on a PC. If it's coming to a console it's practically guaranteed to be on a PC and it will be better. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to play on console if they own a decent PC besides the reason I've stated in my previous post. Went to Pax East last year and immediately started looking for parts after my trip.

$500 will net u a PC equivalent to PS4 Pro. Scorpio will still be beneath my PC once it releases. You don't need an elite PC to outperform a console.

I don't see gaming PC's ever taking over Consoles. You can get an Xbox One for $200 at Gamestop. And while it's not on the level of a supped up PC it still has good graphics and new games.

PC gaming is also lacking in sports games. There is no Madden, MLB, PGA, UFC, Fight Night, or NHL games on the PC.

I don't see gaming PC's ever taking over Consoles. You can get an Xbox One for $200 at Gamestop. And while it's not on the level of a supped up PC it still has good graphics and new games.

PC gaming is also lacking in sports games. There is no Madden, MLB, PGA, UFC, Fight Night, or NHL games on the PC.

The revenue numbers are interesting though...

I can see why Nintendo wants to unify the console and "mobile"...

superdata-year-in-review-1-2236x1246.png

The revenue numbers are interesting though...

I can see why Nintendo wants to unify the console and "mobile"...

superdata-year-in-review-1-2236x1246.png

Oh Wow... I didn't realize PC gaming was taking in that much revenue. I did read that their Premium revenue was 5.4 billion. So it's basically their Free MMO's that are kicking ass and generating the majority of the cash.

Last edited:

I think it will grow and keep on growing. Several factors:

First PC gaming is easy now. 20-30 years ago there were tons of issues with gaming. Compatibility issues, upgradeability, cost, accessories (game pads were nonexistent). PC gamers was a secondary feature back in the day but now people will build PC primarily for gaming. All those issues besides cost have gone away mostly and the cost has gone down by a lot as well. PC gaming used to be on a monitor but with wireless controllers the idea of playing PC games on a tv screen is becoming more and more popular. It's more fun and easier to play on a PC.

Second the age of the average gamer is growing. 20-30 years ago it was generally only kids that would game. But now you can find people in their 40s gaming. As more and more gamers reach adulthood they are going to seek out the next best gaming experience. It used to be a chore to buy and set up a PC. not anymore. The only thing one has to do after hooking up a PC is to figure how to install steam and set up an account and they are done. PC gaming still has its quirks but there's nothing u can't solve with google and a bit of detective work...

I am nearing 40 and still game. And all my friends who gamed as kids also still game (with their kids but also find time for solo gaming). It's a hobby that almost never goes away. Some own gaming rigs and others are waiting for the right moment. Money is generally not an issue but as u said is it worth it when xbone can be bought for 200 or so. As of now depend. But eventually more and more games are going to be cross platformed if not all. It's inevitable especially since porting is becoming easier and easier. Why put all your marbles in one system when u can develop for all. And u aren't wasting too much money making hard copy sales and just go with digital. Popularity in PC gaming is blowing up and Esports is becoming a huge money making enterprise. I won't be surprised to see all the games u mentioned going to PC in the near future.

how long do systems have to be considered a failure? Personally I won't be getting a switch until some more games drop, from the 60 games that have been rumored/announced I probably will wait until either the end of the year or early next year to grab one.

if this thing isn't a huge success in 3 months are people going to say it flopped?

if this thing isn't a huge success in 3 months are people going to say it flopped?

That won't happen. It will be successful out of the gate. It's the long term, where I'm not sure what will happen with this thing. It's tech is already starting a step behind the competition. If the Switch can't move third party software due to them being inferior versions of games on other systems, and developers are having to work with different hardware to make them, the developers will abandon it real fast, and it will flop.

It's probably going to start fairly strong though. Doesn't mean much though. The Dreamcast started strong too.

dreamcast was truly ahead of its time. its a damn shame that system wasn't successful...

dreamcast was truly ahead of its time. its a damn shame that system wasn't successful...

Preach.

From time to time I still play games like Power Stone 2, Bomberman Online, Worms Armageddon, Mark of the Wolves, (to name a few) with friends.

A friend (who works for Nintendo) told me that The Switch does NOT use a Pascal chip...

I fucking HOPE that's not true.

Well...it seems true after all. (regarding Pascal NOT being in the Switch)

Color my displeased, yet NOT surprised.

I was pretty hyped for this and will get one but not sure if getting it on launch/near leaunch anymore. Are they even doing preorders? I haven't really been following any news about it tbh. Also, I need to figure out what accessories to buy and shit because I would like to buy this with some intention of it being a fun game to play with people over and assuming the bundle won't come with too many controllers and stuff.

But yeah it looks sick. I get an hour break at work and typically I play about 40 minutes or so of my 3DS and hoping I can do the same with the tablet part of the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back