Ninjutsu: the missing link for UFC

I don’t care about this , im talking about bs story prior to this nonsense. I don’t train in a TMA or sport . I do have a respect for TMA . Yes China did train train for combat prior to ww2. And Kung fu held full contact matches Lei tai .
China probably did have styles that were once effective and they currently do in Sanda but China is huge with multiple cultures that it has absorbed over time and subjugated. It is not unique to China that in the process of one culture absorbing another they ban martial and military training and as a result the absorbed culture creates a dance style in place of a martial tradition as is the case with the shaolin temple, capoeira, and Cossak dance. It is also seems to be a pattern that martial arts created from the dance styles are bullshido when they are created with a compliant training partner like in Hopak and wing chun.

Wrestling has a long history in the united states and was more commonly practiced prior to television becoming widespread. They used to just call it playing and like any game that is passed down it had rules and moves that came along with it. The thing about it was it was it didn't allude to any sort of mystical nonsense or promote itself as a killing art reserved for a special class of people as was the case for martial traditions in feudal societies. It didn't have to because it worked and the guys that were really good at it would travel around and prove it worked on the carnival circuit back in the day with open challenges.

The thing about western society is we have been critiquing chivalry since at least the publication of Don Quixote in 1605. Yes, over 400 years ago! the Japanese equivalent to chivalry being Bushido or whatever to which Martial traditions were married with along with a specialized class of citizenry which only ended in Japan with the preservation of Jui Jitsu via the Kodokan less than 150 years ago. Because of that a martial tradition like wrestling doesn't come prepackaged with a bunch mystical ideological crap justifying a socially stratified society which I doubt you will find in Judo either. For some ignorant reason people seem to make the association between martial art and mystical ideological crap.

What actually ends up happening in practice though is the TMA guys that fetishize east Asian martial arts systems end up actually being the ones that are insensitive judgmental, and ignorant of western martial traditions because they lack the mystical pseudo religious aura that has come to be associated with martial arts.

I did ninjitsu for about 6 months. I liked some aspects of it, such as aiming for specific targets (e.g. eyes, throat, pressure points), weapons, and grappling. But there were some aspects that I didn't like. I would go through a whole session without sweating or being out of breath; it wasn't a workout that I could feel satisfied about afterwards. Their defences usually comprised of two movements, which tend to not work against the faster single movement attacks. I have the same criticism of karate for the same reasons. Their striking attacks are also very telegraphed, which is probably why they can pull off two-move defences. Almost all of the training was partner based drills with consenting partners, which is ok but there was no sparring, partner resistance, bag work or any of the other tried and tested methods for improving fighters. I ended up leaving not so much due to the lack of application for real self-defence but mainly because I didn't get any workout satisfaction from it.

As it was explained to me by my instructors, ninjutsu, akijutsu and Japanese jujitsu were once all the same art. But it got broken up into the three variants when they started teaching outside of Japan. Each variant has a stronger focus on one part of the whole but there is a lot of cross pollination between them. I don't know how true this is but that was what my instructors told me.

China probably did have styles that were once effective and they currently do in Sanda but China is huge with multiple cultures that it has absorbed over time and subjugated. It is not unique to China that in the process of one culture absorbing another they ban martial and military training and as a result the absorbed culture creates a dance style in place of a martial tradition as is the case with the shaolin temple, capoeira, and Cossak dance. It is also seems to be a pattern that martial arts created from the dance styles are bullshido when they are created with a compliant training partner like in Hopak and wing chun.

Wrestling has a long history in the united states and was more commonly practiced prior to television becoming widespread. They used to just call it playing and like any game that is passed down it had rules and moves that came along with it. The thing about it was it was it didn't allude to any sort of mystical nonsense or promote itself as a killing art reserved for a special class of people as was the case for martial traditions in feudal societies. It didn't have to because it worked and the guys that were really good at it would travel around and prove it worked on the carnival circuit back in the day with open challenges.

The thing about western society is we have been critiquing chivalry since at least the publication of Don Quixote in 1605. Yes, over 400 years ago! the Japanese equivalent to chivalry being Bushido or whatever to which Martial traditions were married with along with a specialized class of citizenry which only ended in Japan with the preservation of Jui Jitsu via the Kodokan less than 150 years ago. Because of that a martial tradition like wrestling doesn't come prepackaged with a bunch mystical ideological crap justifying a socially stratified society which I doubt you will find in Judo either. For some ignorant reason people seem to make the association between martial art and mystical ideological crap.

What actually ends up happening in practice though is the TMA guys that fetishize east Asian martial arts systems end up actually being the ones that are insensitive judgmental, and ignorant of western martial traditions because they lack the mystical pseudo religious aura that has come to be associated with martial arts.
So your upset that other ppl train in TMA . Who cares if that’s what they want to do let them . You kinda sound butt hurt about the lack of acknowledgement for wrestling. It’s good and effective ok . You do know mma is sport fighting ? And many mma fighters began in TMA

Not really upset that people train in TMA. I think a lot of them look cool but I tend to find the justification for avoiding resistance training Ludacris and dangerous that they are all about escalation.

I think it is annoying when someone says that their TMA is designed for combat situations and the western martial traditions are not. It is plain ignorant considering the amount of wars the English and Americans have been in the last couple hundred years. Clearly my grandfathers knife kill trophies are evidence that American martial training is effective or at least was effective. With the advent of night vision goggles, silencers, stealth helicopters and drones I presume their is less of a need for knife fighters in todays military.

The reality though is that many traditional American martial arts are not exclusively about escalation and killing they are about playing around and having fun playing rough with guidelines so people don't get hurt. Although because they are effective they can be utilized for killing within a different context that is not their ultimate goal. They are about controlling and containing violence which can be non oppressive and even fun all around as well as effective.

I mean their was a time when martial traditions were taught to specialized classes of knights and samurai and the equivalent but those dudes were fucking ass holes that would just straight up murder people to practice their moves. In those systems one person would bully untrained individuals who if they did not comply would be beaten and robbed or even maimed or even worst killed. Those brutal systems are founded on a hierarchy of fear and respect where that respect only flows in one direction. They just dress that archaic value system up as what in the west was known as chivalry that on the surface ascribed to noble values but was really in many ways the cover for a Brutal System of oppression that I will simply refer to as BS from now on. Japan's Bushido was a cover for their own BS.

It is not that I am upset that people train TMA it is just sad that people fall into ineffective BS TMA's.

I think people fall for that BS because within it they are given a place where they know their place which is in a group binding oneself in faith towards a master figure where they avoid rough housing entirely in favor of a bunch of BS techniques that are "too dangerous" so they must place more and more faith in the words of their master figure who would get his ass handed to him by your average Boxer or Wrestler any day of the week.

Not really upset that people train in TMA. I think a lot of them look cool but I tend to find the justification for avoiding resistance training Ludacris and dangerous that they are all about escalation.

I think it is annoying when someone says that their TMA is designed for combat situations and the western martial traditions are not. It is plain ignorant considering the amount of wars the English and Americans have been in the last couple hundred years. Clearly my grandfathers knife kill trophies are evidence that American martial training is effective or at least was effective. With the advent of night vision goggles, silencers, stealth helicopters and drones I presume their is less of a need for knife fighters in todays military.

The reality though is that many traditional American martial arts are not exclusively about escalation and killing they are about playing around and having fun playing rough with guidelines so people don't get hurt. Although because they are effective they can be utilized for killing within a different context that is not their ultimate goal. They are about controlling and containing violence which can be non oppressive and even fun all around as well as effective.

I mean their was a time when martial traditions were taught to specialized classes of knights and samurai and the equivalent but those dudes were fucking ass holes that would just straight up murder people to practice their moves. In those systems one person would bully untrained individuals who if they did not comply would be beaten and robbed or even maimed or even worst killed. Those brutal systems are founded on a hierarchy of fear and respect where that respect only flows in one direction. They just dress that archaic value system up as what in the west was known as chivalry that on the surface ascribed to noble values but was really in many ways the cover for a Brutal System of oppression that I will simply refer to as BS from now on. Japan's Bushido was a cover for their own BS.

It is not that I am upset that people train TMA it is just sad that people fall into ineffective BS TMA's.

I think people fall for that BS because within it they are given a place where they know their place which is in a group binding oneself in faith towards a master figure where they avoid rough housing entirely in favor of a bunch of BS techniques that are "too dangerous" so they must place more and more faith in the words of their master figure who would get his ass handed to him by your average Boxer or Wrestler any day of the week.
MA is journey , if they want to believe in a master figure that’s on them . Hopefully it won’t cost them dearly . As for boxer or wrestler whooping their ass , never a guarantee of victory. Even untrained fighter can win to many variables in fighting. Part of MA IMO is find your way , what works for you and effective . Hell I started with Wrestling learned from DAD not in school. TKD , the judo , boxing . Been studying Sanda for few years now and lucky enough to find a good school. even use mauy Thai roundhouse it’s effective. I also believe in JKD philosophy . It’s not about style it what works discard what does . At a point in time the TMA probably work fine , lots of fighting art get water down with time .

MA is journey , if they want to believe in a master figure that’s on them . Hopefully it won’t cost them dearly . As for boxer or wrestler whooping their ass , never a guarantee of victory. Even untrained fighter can win to many variables in fighting. Part of MA IMO is find your way , what works for you and effective . Hell I started with Wrestling learned from DAD not in school. TKD , the judo , boxing . Been studying Sanda for few years now and lucky enough to find a good school. even use mauy Thai roundhouse it’s effective. I also believe in JKD philosophy . It’s not about style it what works discard what does . At a point in time the TMA probably work fine , lots of fighting art get water down with time .
Yeah, that's cool but you are learning ones that work. I mean TKD not so much but their are a lot of elements that can be made to work if you cross train.

My issue is with the "too deadly" to show you guys then they shit all over "combat sport" martial arts such as all the ones you have trained.

They then go on to argue that their arts work in combat situations but I am pretty sure Just My gramps alone has defeated more foes single handedly in melee combat than all the wing chun guys that ever lived combined.

Sanda is legit though as it is basically Chinese MMA created from their TMA's with a time limit on their folk wrestling because folk wrestling beat every other art when they were creating it.

Just because Sanda works does not mean a lot of China's TMA's ever worked to begin with though as many of them were created under a Ban on martial arts that lasted hundreds of years.

In my other post I sort of explained why a conquering culture allows fake martial arts to flourish though with the conquered culture.

One thing I have been highlighting that people often over look though is different martial arts represent different value systems.

Ok, just think about it this way. Your daughter has a disease that required a specific ingredient in order to save her life and you went shopping for a potion that contained that ingredient and you bought it then it turns out the ingredient was fake and it didn't work and it cost your daughter her life unless someone warned you in time. Well BS martial arts are that bunk potion!

Then imagine a proponent of that BS martial art comes along and tries to tell you that the one that your family member used to kill a handful of people in melee combat doesn't work in real combat situations as justification for not respecting your cultures martial traditions.

You see what I am getting at here?

Then imagine researching said BS martial art only to discover that it was created during a ban on martial arts being practiced for hundreds of years and had no real life combat outlet whether it be war or sport in it's history ever and the most famous practitioner of the BS martial art ever created an entire system of martial arts based on the realization that the BS martial art he originally learned didn't fare to well against cultures whos martial traditions had been combat tested for generations.

You see what I am getting at?

No disrespect intended but this is how Ninjutsu fared in the UFC when it was represented way back in UFC 2:

When the stealth of Ninjitsu cannot avoid the harsh reality of the ground pound from a world class kickboxer.

Last edited:
Ok, just think about it this way. Your daughter has a disease that required a specific ingredient in order to save her life and you went shopping for a potion that contained that ingredient and you bought it then it turns out the ingredient was fake and it didn't work and it cost your daughter her life unless someone warned you in time. Well BS martial arts are that bunk potion!

Then imagine a proponent of that BS martial art comes along and tries to tell you that the one that your family member used to kill a handful of people in melee combat doesn't work in real combat situations as justification for not respecting your cultures martial traditions.

Then imagine researching said BS martial art only to discover that it was created during a ban on martial arts being practiced for hundreds of years and had no real life combat outlet whether it be war or sport in it's history ever and the most famous practitioner of the BS martial art ever created an entire system of martial arts based on the realization that the BS martial art he originally learned didn't fare to well against cultures whos martial traditions had been combat tested for generations.

You get the point, in our modern civilized society we try to reject violence therefore all the martial arts teachings goes through the process of watering down in order to be marketable and attractive to potential students but maintaining the myth of past deadly art and therefore creating potential deadly practionners.
I had a conversation with a ninjitsu practionner who boasted the fact he got his black belt in 4 years and he can master the wristlocks unfortunately "mocking" at me that I am a slow learner for not having a black belt in BJJ after 6 years of practice... well I just reacted to feign to listen his big mouth and just explaining him that the standard is high in our martial art. Then couple of weeks later when I met him with my both sprained strapped thumbs after tough BJJ sparring sessions, he told me we are too violent....

as we can see here, ninjutsu has clearly powerful, practical, and efficient techniques. Its amazing we dont see the deadly art of ninjutsu in UFC. I think we could call it the missing link for UFC becuase I think training ninjutsu would definitely help those who train UFC. Perhaps we dont see it much because it is somewhat of a lost art and the techniques are too dangerous. The majority of styles that remain are the typical stick/sword fighting styles such as kenjitsu for example. But the true styles such as Seishin-Teki-Kyo'yo' seem to have been lost or difficult to find.

Honestly this video is blatant as a ninjitsu or taijitsu (the current name of ninjitsu) training sessions I saw here in my country.
It's theoryland making desillusional practionners from a forgotten History past. No sweat, no engaging physical sparring, not get used to be roughed, hit, smashed, crushed and training until your mind can't bear anymore after your body breaks down... in a civilized manner of course

View attachment 515037
I don’t care about this , im talking about bs story prior to this nonsense. I don’t train in a TMA or sport . I do have a respect for TMA . Yes China did train train for combat prior to ww2. And Kung fu held full contact matches Lei tai .

bonus points for the "you wear tights" gif from Breakfast Club, made me chuckle. respect to wrestling of any variety, my son is 3 and i'll have him try wrestling and JJ, hopefully he likes both. there is also TKD and Karate schools in the area we'll try

Yeah, that's cool but you are learning ones that work. I mean TKD not so much but their are a lot of elements that can be made to work if you cross train.

My issue is with the "too deadly" to show you guys then they shit all over "combat sport" martial arts such as all the ones you have trained.

They then go on to argue that their arts work in combat situations but I am pretty sure Just My gramps alone has defeated more foes single handedly in melee combat than all the wing chun guys that ever lived combined.

Sanda is legit though as it is basically Chinese MMA created from their TMA's with a time limit on their folk wrestling because folk wrestling beat every other art when they were creating it.

Just because Sanda works does not mean a lot of China's TMA's ever worked to begin with though as many of them were created under a Ban on martial arts that lasted hundreds of years.

In my other post I sort of explained why a conquering culture allows fake martial arts to flourish though with the conquered culture.

One thing I have been highlighting that people often over look though is different martial arts represent different value systems.
Who cares if ppl talk crap on combat arts , it’s just talk . The point on my years of training was ppl change views as time goes on when I was a teen I thought TKD was the shit . But my views changed and moved on . Sanda is similar mma most ppl only see sport version
A system of unarmed combat that was designed by Chinese Military based upon their intense study of traditional martial arts such as traditional Kung Fu, Shuai Jiao, Chin Na and modern hand-to-hand fighting and combat philosophy to develop a realistic system of unarmed fighting for the Chinese military.
employs all parts of the body to attack and counter with, by using what the Chinese consider to be the four basic martial arts techniques:

• Da – Upper-Body Striking – using fists, open hands, fingers, elbows, shoulders, forearms and the head
  • Ti – Lower-Body Striking – including kicks, knees and stomping
  • Shuai – Throws – using Wrestling ,Judo and sambo like takedowns and sweeps, and
  • Chin-Na – Seizing – which includes jointlocks, strangulation and other submissions . The reason for the time limit in the sport goes back to training in the military version they want us to perform take downs as quickly as possible from clinch and finish them and get back to feet and be ready for next attack. Like I stated I was lucky to find a school that teaches Sanda in original form not just sport version. China created sport version with limitations on techniques and rules in hope to be considered for Olympic sport which they been trying to do for awhile. Prior to Sanda events most Kung fu fights were lei tai matches . Which still happen but they too restricted techniques .like elbows can be done but not in clinchi . Bottom line is talking crap doesn’t matter . It’s just talk .

Last edited:

Like I said that’s their choice. You do you . Bruce lee : Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own.

Last edited:
bonus points for the "you wear tights" gif from Breakfast Club, made me chuckle. respect to wrestling of any variety, my son is 3 and i'll have him try wrestling and JJ, hopefully he likes both. there is also TKD and Karate schools in the area we'll try
thxs . cool I believe it’s good for them . JJ and
Wrestling both good to know . Hope he likes it . I taught my boys to wrestle and boxing . My oldest takes bjj and Mauy Thai . He likes it . I tell him to Try keep a open mind for other techniques that work . TKD isn’t bad problem is most school train Olympic sport version . My cousin trained in TKD his instrutor was from Korea. Hopefully you found a good school. You know what type of karate ?

glad to hear it. don't know much about either TKD or Karate school, seem to get decent reviews online. for small children, i guess the main benefit is structure/discipline, and developing leg dexterity/flexibility early, and maybe he'll just prefer striking over grappling, who knows. the website said something like American Open Karate style?

glad to hear it. don't know much about either TKD or Karate school, seem to get decent reviews online. for small children, i guess the main benefit is structure/discipline, and developing leg dexterity/flexibility early, and maybe he'll just prefer striking over grappling, who knows. the website said something like American Open Karate style?
American open karate style , I think Michelle Waterson aka karate hottie is black belt in . Some styles have striking and grappling .

You get the point, in our modern civilized society we try to reject violence therefore all the martial arts teachings goes through the process of watering down in order to be marketable and attractive to potential students but maintaining the myth of past deadly art and therefore creating potential deadly practionners.
I had a conversation with a ninjitsu practionner who boasted the fact he got his black belt in 4 years and he can master the wristlocks unfortunately "mocking" at me that I am a slow learner for not having a black belt in BJJ after 6 years of practice... well I just reacted to feign to listen his big mouth and just explaining him that the standard is high in our martial art. Then couple of weeks later when I met him with my both sprained strapped thumbs after tough BJJ sparring sessions, he told me we are too violent....
well what I was getting at is a tradition like wrestling that comes from western traditions already adapted to "civilized" society hundreds of years ago because feudalism ended a Looooong ass time ago in what the 15th or 16th century?

That Kano dude understood too which is why he developed Judo when Japan was transitioning out of feudalism. The reality is those traditions either adapted or it was just a matter of time before they were lost entirely to LARPing like ninjitsu.

Shit, I remember being a kid and wanting to be a ninja! I wanted to learn Ninjitsu and because the UFC hadn't taken place yet I thought those LARPers with their Fake ass "Masters" were real!

If it wasn't for the early UFC's then all those fake Mcdojo's would still be running shit in every other strip mall.

I don't doubt their are some dope lost techniques from DaituRyo aikijistu but most of them have probably been lost due to the popularity of aikido. I mean their might be some real stuff in some hapkido groups or certain lineages of DaituRyo aikijitsu .

Last edited:
I did ninjitsu for about 6 months. I liked some aspects of it, such as aiming for specific targets (e.g. eyes, throat, pressure points), weapons, and grappling. But there were some aspects that I didn't like. I would go through a whole session without sweating or being out of breath; it wasn't a workout that I could feel satisfied about afterwards. Their defences usually comprised of two movements, which tend to not work against the faster single movement attacks. I have the same criticism of karate for the same reasons. Their striking attacks are also very telegraphed, which is probably why they can pull off two-move defences. Almost all of the training was partner based drills with consenting partners, which is ok but there was no sparring, partner resistance, bag work or any of the other tried and tested methods for improving fighters. I ended up leaving not so much due to the lack of application for real self-defence but mainly because I didn't get any workout satisfaction from it.

As it was explained to me by my instructors, ninjutsu, akijutsu and Japanese jujitsu were once all the same art. But it got broken up into the three variants when they started teaching outside of Japan. Each variant has a stronger focus on one part of the whole but there is a lot of cross pollination between them. I don't know how true this is but that was what my instructors told me.

ΝΟ!
Τhat's as wrong as it can get.
Jutsu means art in Japanese.
Jujutsu is simply grappling.
Ninjutsu is inherently a bad fighting art anyway.. As if that was not enough you
had the misfortune of paying money to a teacher that doesn't have a clue of that flawed art he is teaching. I mean, Jesus, he at least had to know what the hell was the crap he was teaching and was getting paid for.

To give you an idea, a traditional japanese fighting system, ryu (translation = school/style), included many skillsets in their curriculum.
Sword fighting (kenjutsu), long pole fighting (bojutsu) and many other weapon arts/jutsu.
One of these skillsets was unarmed fighting. Some called it jujutsu, some others taijutsu.
Some styles had also espionage tactics and weapon training in their curriculum, that were generally called ninjutsu.

Take a look at the curriculum of maybe the oldest Japanese ryu to see what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenshin_Shōden_Katori_Shintō-ryū#Curriculum

Now the above systems you mentioned, Ninjutsu as it taught today is an art that is the sum of 9 different ryus, of which a couple of them were supposed to be used and created
by Ninja clans.
Japanese Jujutsu is as I explained a blanket statement and it's not a specific school. Every school had a little of jujutsu, some of them were more famous for it.
So you have to be specific of which clan's jujutsu you are referring to.

Lastly Aikijujutsu is the name a dude called Takeda Sokaku gave to the martial art he created based on the training he had on the weapons and unarmed fighting of
classical ryus.

I hope I didn't confused you.

I have first hand experience of Bujinkan Ninjutsu as well and I agree with everything you said about the training part.

Last edited:
ΝΟ!
Τhat's as wrong as it can get.
Jutsu means art in Japanese.
Jujutsu is simply grappling.
Ninjutsu is inherently a bad fighting art anyway.. As if that was not enough you
had the misfortune of paying money to a teacher that doesn't have a clue of that flawed art he is teaching. I mean, Jesus, he at least had to know what the hell was the crap he was teaching and was getting paid for.

To give you an idea, a traditional japanese fighting system, ryu (translation = school/style), included many skillsets in their curriculum.
Sword fighting (kenjutsu), long pole fighting (bojutsu) and many other weapon arts/jutsu.
One of these skillsets was unarmed fighting. Some called it jujutsu, some others taijutsu.
Some styles had also espionage tactics and weapon training in their curriculum, that were generally called ninjutsu.

Take a look at the curriculum of maybe the oldest Japanese ryu to see what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenshin_Shōden_Katori_Shintō-ryū#Curriculum

Now the above systems you mentioned, Ninjutsu as it taught today is an art that is the sum of 9 different ryus, of which a couple of them were supposed to be used and created
by Ninja clans.
Japanese Jujutsu is as I explained a blanket statement and it's not a specific school. Every school had a little of jujutsu, some of them were more famous for it.
So you have to be specific of which clan's jujutsu you are referring to.

Lastly Aikijujutsu is the name a dude called Takeda Sokaku gave to the martial art he created based on the training he had on the weapons and unarmed fighting of
classical ryus.

I hope I didn't confused you.

I have first hand experience of Bujinkan Ninjutsu as well and I agree with everything you said about the training part.
Thanks for the education dude

Back