Niinim

I seriously don't understand this match up. No disrespect to Tom (who's a great fighter) or the finns but even IF Niinim

so far a scandinavian party in this thread, I like it.

fun fight to see indeed, looking forward to it

And it's such a dumb short term move which really goes to show the UFC is clueless when it comes to growing new markets. First of all Tom could easily sneak into the top 10 and be the guy to bring the UFC to Finland which would help grow not only finnish mma but nordic mma as a whole. Secondly the fight is wasted on Berlin. If they had it Stockholm or Helsinki as a co main derby it'd create a huge buzz and draw a few thousand on it's own merit. In Berlin a couple of weeks out it'll draw what... a few hundred? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Like, why not grab one of the german guys instead?

Finland probably isn't even on their radar at this point though. If so, it's definitely behind Poland, Scotland, Croatia and Russia to name a few. They had an opening on the card, used it to fill a spot with a top flight prospect and if he wins or loses, can still turn said top prospect around in Sweden---POTENTIALLY on a pay per view with the biggest fight they've got.

Holy cheeseballs! What a fight! Obviously rooting for Tom big time but B

Thats a good signing, good fight. Backstrom has alot of hype behind him.

Great all-Nordic war, although I read they were sparring partners. Maybe that'll make it more interesting!

Shame one of these guys has to lose. Both should have good UFC careers ahead of them.

Great all-Nordic war, although I read they were sparring partners. Maybe that'll make it more interesting!

They've sparred a few times yes, but calling them sparring partners is a huge stretch. They haven't trained together for a few years, and when they did, their training partnership consisted of Tom seldomly visiting the Hilti Stockholm Gym and Niklas being a part of the gym.

Niklas described Tom as a "really nice dude", but they don't have a "deep bond or anything like that".

Are we entering the era of the return of the vikings?

I am content with this.

Back