Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives

Update: May 6, 2013

ONLY GOD FORGIVES Clip Shows Ryan Gosling Training for Role

Only-God-Forgives-Gosling-Training-Dragonlord.jpg

Ryan Gosling hopes his next movie will be a knockout. The 33-year-old actor bared his muscular chest and donned some yellow boxing gloves to train for a fight scene in the upcoming movie Only God Forgives. A behind-the-scenes clip shows Gosling preparing for his role, hustling in the ring and getting fighting tips from experts.
In the film, Gosling plays an American exile who manages a Thai boxing club as a front for a drug smuggling operation.

Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn, who worked with Gosling on the film Drive, is known for his use of stylized gore, has plenty of advice for Gosling in the video. "Violence is like sex," Refn explains, as Gosling smiles into the camera. "It's all about the build-up." On set, Refn echoes his lesson. "Now make it dirty, unique, interesting, never-seen-before violence," he instructs Gosling.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES Clip Shows Ryan Gosling Training for the Role

Ahaha I love when Gosling looks back at the camera like 'Refn wtf are you talking about...'

Can tell Refn's a fuckin genius though

Unbelievable...

A crime thriller involving muay thai starring Gosling and one of the newest and brightest film directors in Refn....

Something does actually go right in Hollywood once in a while. So fucking stoked for this.

Watch it, asap. It's so good.

Just watched it. I don't know how to put spoiler tags so I'm just gonna say it pissed me off at first but then after watching the rest of the movie it made up for it.

The movie is getting killed by critics at Cannes.

Gosling has like 17 lines and no expression the entire movie.

The movie is getting killed by critics at Cannes.

Gosling has like 17 lines and no expression the entire movie.

I never liked drive and I didn't think the premise of this movie was good.

If these are the same critics that thought IM3 was great then I still have hope

“Movies really don’t get much worse than Nicholas Winding Refn‘s ‘Only God Forgives’,” wrote Hollywood Elsewhere’s Jeffrey Wells. “It’s a sh-- macho fantasy — hyperviolent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious. I realize I sound like Rex Reed on one of his rants, but trust me, please — this is a defecation by an over-praised, over-indulged director who thinks anything he craps out is worthy of your time. I felt violated, s*** upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled and bored stiff.”

I'm not sold that this movie isn't awesome. The first half of this guys review doesn't match the second half. The highlighted section is the kind of review I reserve for Terrance Malick's crap.

Cannes can be weird with reception though, Inglourious Basterds wasn't really booed; but it was given pretty poor reviews.

Tree of Life, Taxi Driver, Antichrist, Marie Antoinette were all booed as well. Doesn't necessarily mean the film won't find an audience or find positive reception outside of Cannes.

They booed when Taxi Driver was announced the winner of the Palme d'Or, not because they were forced to sit through it for a simple screening :redface:

This movie looks like shit anyway, so I'm not surprised. I'll probably still check it out eventually, though.

Cannes can be weird with reception though, Inglourious Basterds wasn't really booed; but it was given pretty poor reviews.

Tree of Life, Taxi Driver, Antichrist, Marie Antoinette were all booed as well. Doesn't necessarily mean the film won't find an audience or find positive reception outside of Cannes.

Tree of Life sucked (so did To the Wonder and The New World). I don't know how Malick gets the funds or cast for his shit.
If it weren't for the locations and cinematography (props to the state of the art cameras he uses) I would think I were watching a 2nd year student's film.

Back