Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives

Just because it was pretty doesn't make it not hot garbage.

I understood the movie perfectly well, modern day Oedipus, but with karaoke, neon, and muay thai.

It was just shit.
You understood it well....yet a couple posts ago claimed you didn't understand it.....interesting.

I understood it, I just didn't understand why he made it so shitty and disjointed.

I LOVED Drive, I will watch anything with Gosling. I'm on an MMA forum, so Muay Thai appeals to me.

This movie had the potential to be great, and it just sucked.

I've already said before, i loved this movie. Thought it was beautiful.
Chang is supposedly god.
If you watch the movie with this in mind you will see it all fall in place.

I was not a fan of Only God Forgives, I thought it was very stylish but with little substance. I really wanted to like it too because I enjoyed Drive and Valhalla Rising. I might re-watch it but I doubt my opinion will have changed.

Chang is supposedly god.

Supposedly Chang is a reincarnation of One-Eye from Valhalla Rising, who was then The Driver and then Chang...apparently "a mythological creature that has a mysterious past but cannot relate to reality because he's heightened and he's pure fetish."

Can't stress enough how well Chris Stuckmann does at interpreting this film. Would post the video here if I wasn't at work.

I might re-watch it but I doubt my opinion will have changed.
Would highly suggest checking out Stuckmann's vid before or after a rewatch.

Can't stress enough how well Chris Stuckmann does at interpreting this film. Would post the video here if I wasn't at work.

Would highly suggest checking out Stuckmann's vid before or after a rewatch.

I watched Stuckmann's video at the time, I like the guy.

His earlier work like "Bronson" was amazing. Refn is definitely slipping the past several years.

giphy.gif

His earlier work like "Bronson" was amazing. Refn is definitely slipping the past several years.

giphy.gif

I'd forgot about that one, I think Hardy is the best thing about that film.

Chang is supposedly god.

Can you elaborate?

Yeah there are various events in the movie that allude to Chang being 'god' or godlike.
The way he is revered, he hands out punishments, even the ending,
Him removing Gosling's hand, even Gosling realizes he needs to atone and only god can forgive him.

Back