Nicolas Winding Refn Appreciation Page

Refn is pure 'gaudium de stilo' (rejoicing in style), his movies don't really have any substance, they are cool stylistic exercises.
I dunno... I have heard people say the same of Terrence Malick's films but I don't buy it. His current period stuff (Valhalla Rising, Drive, Only God Forgives, Neon Demon) may be vulnerable to this critique, but Pusher? Nah.

The substance may get drowned out by the style but I think it's there to be found if you care to look as hard as Refn thinks you should.

giphy.gif
tumblr_ne9kdhH8iL1qgk7zxo1_400.gif

Last edited:
I might have seen more of his and not known it, but Drive and Valhalla Rising are awesome.

He has done some good work. I think his gimmick is kind of just leaving out a few scenes that would explain clearly what is happening in the movie, and some people simply enjoy being made to think or interpret in this fashion, while others credit it as being ultra-cerebral or symbolic by virtue of leaving that scene or two out.

He's among the better filmmakers out there, in my opinion.

All his films leave the audience to discuss what they perceive. Uses visual storytelling to the nth degree. @BisexualMMA

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Bronson and Valhalla Rising. I haven't seen any of his other films, but I'm going to rectify that.

One of the best working directors right now. Drive is an absolute masterwork and I think only God forgives is right there with it just less accessible. The early pusher trilogy is excellent. To me Valhalla rising is his weakest film but it's still very good. The neon demon was good but short of great. That said visually it was stunning and another step forward in terms of form for him.

All of Refn's films are visually stimulating. @georgekillian

GIF-THE-NEON-DEMON-5.gif

Only god forgives was soo bad I haven't seen a gosling. Or refn movie

The more I revisit his works the more I grow fond of them. Oddly enough his most accessible work (drive) is probably my least favorite outside of the pusher trilogy. At first I wasn't very impressed by neon demon but it's just so visually stunning that you can't look away. Most of his movies are carried by that trait which is why I probably like drive the least. I feel like it's his most restrained work.

Drive was one of my favorites. Had so many great moments. @BenRichards

bbdb2df3c7aabfe5c3df5947e1e47ff0.gif

Me and the wife were so pumped for Only god forgives then we watched it and bam top 5 worst films ever made.

Hes subpar at most, while he has a great eye, his movies need more. I was ok with most but his last movie was utter shit

The Pusher Trilogy is great, I really liked Drive and The Neon Demon. I think it was about TND in an interview he said he wanted to make a movie his wife would watch/it was the only movie he has made that his wife enjoyed. Either way, it's hilarious because of how grim and weird the movie gets about halfway through.

Only God Forgives was whatever. Looked stunning but wasn't very captivating for me. Not sure if it's worth a rewatch.

Still need to see Bronson, Fear X and Valhalla Rising. I know they're good to great or at least worth one watch but I really have to be in a certain mood for one of his movies if I don't see it in the theater.

There's so much hate for Valhalla Rising because hey don't understand it. Mads Mikkelsen's performance was brilliant. Go watch it. @ThulsaDooom

i liked bronson even though the plot ending left a bit to be desired. Everything else has been dog shit

Drive's probably my favourite film of this century so far tbh. Shit is unforgettable. Refn fanboy for life, no going back after that

There's so much hate for Valhalla Rising because hey don't understand it. Mads Mikkelsen's performance was brilliant. Go watch it. @ThulsaDooom

Its probably my least favorite after neon demon and it didnt have anything to do with not understanding it but that it was extremely boring

I need to see Neon Demon. Bronson has been sitting in my Netflix queue like forever.

I kind of feel like Refn got more famous than he "should have" with Drive. Not sure whether it's totally representative of his body of work.

Both Bronson and The Neon Demon is highly entertaining. You won't be disappointed. @Organic Damage

Back