Nicolas Winding Refn Appreciation Page

Sir Galahad

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Refn's stylistic filmmaking has turned the world on notice. You either love him or hate him. Calling all Sherdoggies who are fans of this brilliant Auteur. GTFIH and discuss.

@BenRichards @BisexualMMA @Captain Davis @Coolthulu @georgekillian @HHJ @j123 @Joseph Budden @mime @Murlik @OMGstreetfight @Organic Damage @Plissken @Rimbaud82 @R0NIN @shadow_priest_x @Übermacht @Valkosen @Zer

Nicolas-Wending-Refn-.jpg

photogrid_1478296979584.jpg

photogrid_1457119506508.jpg

I've only seen Bronson,but i LOVE that fucking movie.

Oh shit,lookit Mads. I will have to watch that movie now.

All his films are interesting. Some are better than others.

Drive is his best, I think, but Valhalla Rising fascinated me.

Bronson is good, but not one I feel a strong desire to revisit. Only God Forgives is a very interesting film to try to unpack, but I'm not sure how rewatchable it is either.

Neon Demon was a disappointment. Excellent in terms of sound and visuals, but lacking in plot and just a little too weird.

He has done some good work. I think his gimmick is kind of just leaving out a few scenes that would explain clearly what is happening in the movie, and some people simply enjoy being made to think or interpret in this fashion, while others credit it as being ultra-cerebral or symbolic by virtue of leaving that scene or two out.

He's among the better filmmakers out there, in my opinion.

He has done some good work. I think his gimmick is kind of just leaving out a few scenes that would explain clearly what is happening in the movie, and some people simply enjoy being made to think or interpret in this fashion, while others credit it as being ultra-cerebral or symbolic by virtue of leaving that scene or two out.
I cant comment on this specifically,having only seen one of his movies,but i dont mind a movie keeping certain things murky if i feel comfortable with the director and with where the movie is going. I wasnt 100% sure about everything that happened when i first watched No Country for Old men,but i didnt feel like i was ripped off or that the movie wasnt done right.

One of the best working directors right now. Drive is an absolute masterwork and I think only God forgives is right there with it just less accessible. The early pusher trilogy is excellent. To me Valhalla rising is his weakest film but it's still very good. The neon demon was good but short of great. That said visually it was stunning and another step forward in terms of form for him.

The more I revisit his works the more I grow fond of them. Oddly enough his most accessible work (drive) is probably my least favorite outside of the pusher trilogy. At first I wasn't very impressed by neon demon but it's just so visually stunning that you can't look away. Most of his movies are carried by that trait which is why I probably like drive the least. I feel like it's his most restrained work.

The Pusher Trilogy is great, I really liked Drive and The Neon Demon. I think it was about TND in an interview he said he wanted to make a movie his wife would watch/it was the only movie he has made that his wife enjoyed. Either way, it's hilarious because of how grim and weird the movie gets about halfway through.

Only God Forgives was whatever. Looked stunning but wasn't very captivating for me. Not sure if it's worth a rewatch.

Still need to see Bronson, Fear X and Valhalla Rising. I know they're good to great or at least worth one watch but I really have to be in a certain mood for one of his movies if I don't see it in the theater.

My list of Refn movies in order of good to best:

Only God Forgives
Drive
Bronson

There are no others.

I need to see Neon Demon. Bronson has been sitting in my Netflix queue like forever.

I kind of feel like Refn got more famous than he "should have" with Drive. Not sure whether it's totally representative of his body of work.

All his films are interesting. Some are better than others.

Drive is his best, I think, but Valhalla Rising fascinated me.

Bronson is good, but not one I feel a strong desire to revisit. Only God Forgives is a very interesting film to try to unpack, but I'm not sure how rewatchable it is either.

Neon Demon was a disappointment. Excellent in terms of sound and visuals, but lacking in plot and just a little too weird.

I'm looking forward to the remake of Maniac Cop. @shadow_priest_x

1. Valhalla Rising
2. Drive
3. Bronson
4. The Neon Demon
5. Only God Forgives
6. Fear X

Refn is pure 'gaudium de stilo' (rejoicing in style), his movies don't really have any substance, they are cool stylistic exercises.

Back