Nick Newell vs Sabah fadai added to wsof 7 Canada

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Undefeated lightweight and congenital amputee Nick Newell has been added to the World Series of Fighting 7 event on Dec. 7 at the PNE Agrodome in Vancouver, B.C., the promotion confirmed on Wednesday. The surging Newell (10-0), who's missing his left hand and forearm just below the elbow joint, will face Sabah Fadai (7-2).

The 27-year-old Newell made a strong impression with fans in his WSOF 4 debut in August, when he submitted Keon Caldwell (9-2) with a modified guillotine choke two minutes into the first round. Newell's bout and four others aired live on NBC Sports Network, earning the fledging promotion's biggest ratings to date with 268,000 viewers.
WSOF President Ray Sefo told SI that Newell has also attracted the most media interest of any fighter on the promotion's roster, which encouraged the organization to get him back in the cage sooner rather than later.

"It made sense for him to be on the next NBC Sports card," said Sefo, a kickboxing and MMA veteran himself. "I think viewers were just as surprised and amazed as I was at how fast he finished his last opponent. When Nick fights, I think people will tune in."
Newell, who trains at the Fighting Arts Academy in Springfield, Mass., has an additional two to three fights remaining on his WSOF contract, Sefo said.

The Iranian-born Fadai is a member of Mamba MMA, helmed by longtime Canadian fighter Kultar "The Black Mamba" Gill. Fadai also studies under Brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt and One FC bantamweight champion Bibiano Fernandes.
The Las Vegas-based WSOF has been in operation since late 2012, and has become recognized in that time as a third-tier option for fighters not contracted by the UFC or Bellator MMA. Last week, the WSOF signed Japanese middleweight Yushin Okami following his release from the UFC, where he fought 18 times over seven years.
The WSOF has tentatively planned to promote 10 events in 2014, mostly in the U.S. and Canada, Sefo said. The promotion recently announced that it had signed a three-year agreement with IMG Media, a division of IMG Worldwide, for its global distribution. Sefo said the WSOF is currently fielding international opportunities in Australia, New Zealand and Mexico. The WSOF recently acquired feeder promotion Aggression Fight Championship, in conjunction with its upcoming debut in Canada.
In addition to Newell-Fadai, WSOF 7 will also include a light heavyweight bout between UFC veterans Anthony Johnson and Mike Kyle in its main event. WSOF 7 airs live on the NBC Sports Network on Dec. 7.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mm...-of-fighting-7-sabah-fadai-mma/#ixzz2hwfKXKnw

So far;

Anthony Johnson 15-4 vs mike Kyle 20-10 main event

Elvis mutapcic 13-2 vs Jesse Taylor 26-9 co main event

Ryan ford 21-4 rumored

Chris horodecki 19-4 rumored

Sabah fadai 7-2 vs nick Newell 10-0

Dwayne Lewis vs kalib Starnes- rumored by topmmanews.com

Matt baker 9-4 vs David Perron 5-2

Michael hill 5-2 vs Jordan knippelberg 8-2

Shawn albrecht 9-5 vs josh machan 10-4

ryan chiappe 10-7 vs Marcus vinicius 9-7

Last edited:
Eh what? I thought he was fighting JZ in the LW tournament?

And ok if that isnt happen I was hoping they atleast gave him a step up in comp. Isnt that the reason he signed with WSOF and didnt stay in XFC?

Yet they just gave him two XFC level fighters.

Eh what? I thought he was fighting JZ in the LW tournament?

And ok if that isnt happen I was hoping they atleast gave him a step up in comp. Isnt that the reason he signed with WSOF and didnt stay in XFC?

Yet they just gave him two XFC level fighters.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

What's so bad about him?

I didn't watch that season of TUF.
He was the bro that would let a bro bang. I don't mind him getting a shot on the prelims though here. Dude wasn't great but seemed nice, just seemed like he wasn't the smartest guy in the world.

As for the Newell fight I'm a little sad but I understand it at the same time. They are still trying to build him up, JZ may be too much right now and they want him winning. To me I think they just wait and give him a shot at the champ at a later date.

That way if he loses he lost to the champion rather then in the first round of a tourney.

The big question now is who fights JZ in the tournament, and when?

From my perspective, these are the guys who are available on the roster:
Dakota Cochrane
Jacob Volkmann (provided he beats Luiz Firmino)
Ozzy Dugublugov (should be brought up more slowly, he's got potential)
Pat Audinwood
Rondinelli Gomes (I'd give him a shot personally, even though he still hasn't fought for WSOF yet)

Best bets, IMO are Volkmann and Gomes.

Also, who's to say the Volkmann-Firmino fight isn't another tournament fight? Volkmann already has a win in WSOF, it's not the craziest thing.

Really like this fight.

A test for Newell, but a fight he should win.

The big question now is who fights JZ in the tournament, and when?

From my perspective, these are the guys who are available on the roster:
Dakota Cochrane
Jacob Volkmann (provided he beats Luiz Firmino)
Ozzy Dugublugov (should be brought up more slowly, he's got potential)
Pat Audinwood
Rondinelli Gomes (I'd give him a shot personally, even though he still hasn't fought for WSOF yet)

Best bets, IMO are Volkmann and Gomes.

Also, who's to say the Volkmann-Firmino fight isn't another tournament fight? Volkmann already has a win in WSOF, it's not the craziest thing.
You think WSOF is really hoping for Volkmann to be there champ? I have my doubts.

You think WSOF is really hoping for Volkmann to be there champ? I have my doubts.

No, I think WSOF wants Gaethje to be their champ. He's undefeated in 16 fights, 9 pro, 7 amateur. A division 1 All-American. He's young and has the potential to be top ten someday. He's beaten two tough vets in JZ and Cobb in the WSOF. Next he'll fight Little Lauzon, and I'm guaranteeing they hope Gaethje comes out victorious.

For a Div 1 wrestler like Gaethje, Volkmann shouldn't be hard to handle.

That said, I think Dany Lauzon can beat Volkmann too, but that's just me.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing another Notorious scrap.

He'd best JZ too, I believe.

im loving wsof, they arent just signing guys that sucked in the ufc, they sign good prospects and legit journeyman level fighters...i hope wsof only gets bigger, mma needs more companies

This is a little dissapointing. I think Newell is legit and is ready for a step up in competition, yet he is fighting Fadai who isn't even a FightMatrix top 500 ranked fighter and is coming down to LW from a WW loss. Nick 1st round sub

Just saw on mmajunkie they said JZ wasnt able to fight on this card and the LW tournament is scrapped.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/undefeated-nick-newell-returns-at-wsof-7-in-non-tourney-bout

Although initially expected to meet Gesias Cavalcante (18-7-1) in a lightweight tournament semifinal, Newell wrote on Facebook that "JZ" wasn't available for the December event and that the tourney has been canceled.

Laughable to me that they'd call it off because Gesias could not compete. Plenty of acceptable replacements.

Let's not mention his amputee status next time he books a fight. Let him be normal.

Back