Nick Newell Signs w/Bellator. Did UFC lose?

Use him to sell tickets, he'll probably be the best regional ticket seller they ever had so he'll help sell that show out.

Is he a proven ticket seller?

This kid sucks! Stop with the whole side show stick! He has been protected his whole career! minute he fights a solid fighter he gets run over...there are so many other great fighters who also have a career to build!

They was HAND PICKED!

The bad outweigh the good on this situation. Dana didn't lose out on anything. If he were to win, yes it would be a good story but if he were to get put to sleep like Askren was or the way Jessica I stiffened up. Everyone on the forums and the news would butcher the UFC. Coker doesn't think things through, but hey he's a nice guy.

The bad outweigh the good on this situation. Dana didn't lose out on anything. If he were to win, yes it would be a good story but if he were to get put to sleep like Askren was or the way Jessica I stiffened up. Everyone on the forums and the news would butcher the UFC. Coker doesn't think things through, but hey he's a nice guy.

Actually nothing bad for Bellator here. Even bad publicity is good for them right now, since no casual knows or cares about Bellator.
If Newell is mega successful, he'll be inspirational story outside of MMA niche as well, and if something bad happens to him, Bellator will make headlines anyway.
Coker sucks at marketing, so this two extreme scenarios will do good job for him.

But in reality I don't think anything special will happen to Newell. He's a decent fighter who is not that bad and is not that good. He's somewhere at top 100 of LWs (which is not bad, since LWs are the most stacked division in the whole MMA) and can win some, lose some. Arm is not an issue.

Luckily for Coker, he's also a cheap fighter: his salary probably varies from 20K to 30K, definitely not more than that. Maybe even less.
So he won't hurt Bellator, and might benefit occasionally.

This will be an interesting fight. Browning is crafty and he's shown that by knocking off two of bellators prospects. Let's see if he can play spoiler again

Report it to the group administrator
Nah, I’m not a tattle boy, I just like letting people know when they are being stupid... I had an account on here for years and years and somehow overnight it was gone and I never got it back... lots of work over the years and I never once posted stupid shit to get my post count higher, not even now with this new account w no privileges for anything..dudes are like a bunch of man babies, or maybe they’re just stupid kids or a mix of both.... have a good one brother!!

No, he would make everyone look bad with every win, he is legit, but the perceived image is that the guy is fighting with a handicap, which he is, but still...it was not the best idea to sign him to the UFC.

Actually nothing bad for Bellator here. Even bad publicity is good for them right now, since no casual knows or cares about Bellator.
If Newell is mega successful, he'll be inspirational story outside of MMA niche as well, and if something bad happens to him, Bellator will make headlines anyway.
Coker sucks at marketing, so this two extreme scenarios will do good job for him.

But in reality I don't think anything special will happen to Newell. He's a decent fighter who is not that bad and is not that good. He's somewhere at top 100 of LWs (which is not bad, since LWs are the most stacked division in the whole MMA) and can win some, lose some. Arm is not an issue.

Luckily for Coker, he's also a cheap fighter: his salary probably varies from 20K to 30K, definitely not more than that. Maybe even less.
So he won't hurt Bellator, and might benefit occasionally.

Yea I get what your saying, Newell IMO is better at Bellator anyways. I just Dana & Co looked at variables when he choose not to sign him. I mean Newell had his chance and he may still have but I doubt he ever fights in the UFC. I just keep thinking if he were to fight some killer and get completely flatlined or worst Sage/Evangelista type situation where his face is broken.
All around not good for anyone, nobody wins in the situation.

I don't think they lost out at all.

Great for Newell to sign with Bellator.

But when Gaethje gave that beat down it was hard to watch a guy with one hand getting pummeled. That isn't a good look with how many eyes are on the UFC nowadays. They would get massive public backlash from it and probably better off not risking it.

Bellator should have stayed clear of this. Maybe they could make a disabled MMA promotion? Whoever he fights is in a lose/lose situation.

I like Nick Newell saw him fight several times, in the beginning fighters did not know how to handle him as one arm could block and he could get under and around to fighters backs and hook that partial arm in a neck hold (fighters would automatically try for a wrist to twist it off but no wrist). Dude uses what he has well and fighters need to train for his style which is hard to do as cannot find many others who can do what he does.

This is just an undercard local fight! They usually have WorldStar kids in these fights.....He is not going to be a main stay in Bellator or any serious MMA high level show. (Unless they "Bellator" his opponents....Pad!

Is he a proven ticket seller?

in that market he will help sell out. He's not someone who is gonna go to Vegas and sell a place out or anything but just like they had with Ward in Conn, certain guys can sell tickets in a market and Newell should do very well selling tickets for that show.

Back