Media Nick Diaz won the 1st round on scorecards, and landed more strikes than Robbie Lawler...

I honestly don't get that obviously light punches that get slipped for virtually no impact are counted as "significant", its a huge flaw in judging.

Defensively, robbie has always used the slip as his main punch defense. Its why so many people think he lost fights when in actuality his opponents punches never had any impact even if they touched.

“Significant” Lawler was walking through every shot and the announcers were acting like they were standing and banging. You could tell Robbie was wanting to put it on him.

I don’t think Diaz looked awful last night. However, he put to much emphasis on volume and his punches had no power behind them. If he fights again it should be in a 3 rounder and he needs to put more behind his punches. Once Lawler realized he wasn’t going to get knocked out again he started going hard after Diaz and got the finish

I honestly don't get that obviously light punches that get slipped for virtually no impact are counted as "significant", its a huge flaw in judging.
Actually I'm pretty sure those numbers have nothing to do with the actual judging. The judges sit ringside and score it pretty much however the hell they see fit, but don't ever see the "official" significant strikes count or takedown count or anything like that. Those numbers are purely for us to argue about after the fact

The narrative no one seems to be talking about is how bad Robbie also looked. Nick was hitting him with pitter pat shots in slow motion at will.

I enjoyed the fight but it reminded me of Couture/Big Nog which was also a fun fight. It was fun though because they were both long past their prime and fighting on the same level. Put Robbie in there with anyone else and he's going to get destroyed. He just had slightly more in the gas than Nick did at this stage but it wasn't pretty.

It looks like he was playing tag with those punches, yes they landed but it was all arm and no pop.

I remember Nicks punches used to sting quite a bit, Daley was like out on his feet.

Lawler just either parried them or ignored them

Diaz looked the same after the first minute or so but like you said Lawler was parrying but he also rolls with punches really well. his problem has been not throwing back.

Js.
He was winning the fight, he just gassed. Maybe he learns his lesson on conditioning at this level and takes another big fight.

Lawler outlanded Diaz in punches that count.

Give Diaz a break, this is his first fight in what...5 years? His conditioning in the past was always top notch. You make it sound like Diaz is new to this game or something...

To be fair, I've seen high school girls throw harder punches than Nick was throwing last night.

It doesn't matter. Diaz quit. His body language changed after he got his nose busted. It was like he decided in that moment that he didn't have it in him anymore.

The narrative no one seems to be talking about is how bad Robbie also looked. Nick was hitting him with pitter pat shots in slow motion at will.

"He's too slow and too hittable, X fighter would destroy him in standup" has been the narrative against Nick(and Nate) most of his career. he wasn't any slower than he's been since 2010 onwards.

Nick was not winning the fight. They counted every strike landed in the fight as a significant strike lol. What is even the point of having two different criteria at that point?

Judges dont give rounds to guys with their backs against the cage for 4:50 out of 5m in every round.

He was not winning the fight.

False.

He might have stole the first. The second round was competitive but I think Robbie began turning the tide.

Nick asked for a 5 rounder, and he didn't have 5 rounds of gas. Even if Nick was up on the cards (I'm not saying he was) it was a matter of time until he lost.

It was a great fight but the pace they were going at there was not going to be a need for judges. I'd be curious to see the cards, I was watching to enjoy it, not to score it.
Both guys ate a lot of shots, both guys also blocked and defended a lot of the shots so Im Curious how the judges scored that.

Anyone got a shot of the scorecards?

Robbie has made major improvements in his defense since the first fight. Nick caught him with his hands down and not rolling with the strike, that is damn near impossible to do to the grizzled veteran version of Robbie Lawler. Aside from Woodley, Robbie has done a great job of deflecting, rolling, and mitigating big shots in his second UFC run.
It was 1-1 going into the 3rd. I thought Nick clearly won rd 1, and 2/3 judges agree.
91AA039C-D997-4C48-9CBC-21318ECF4640.jpeg
Nick outlanded Robbie, and landed the better, harder combos in rd 1.

I’ll be honest the first 10-15 seconds I felt really uncomfortable with what I was seeing then somehow Diaz was effective

I’m not hating on Diaz - as an FYI this was the first UFC event available as a PPV in the UK On the now defunct Setanta sport for Ortiz vs Liddel UFC 47 which turned out to be an incredible card and I introduced my uni housemates to UFC with the replays

that said I felt watching the fight was like when in fight night your fighter starts losing physical attributes but has the skills that’s what I was seeing with Diaz, he was already slower and more methodical but 10% reduction in speed, an extra 0.2 seconds to complete a punch is very noticeable when you add up a combo that would have been a full second quicker 8 years ago. Think he can get his cardio back, but the speed of what little their was is gone and not coming back

an usman fight would have been gross negligence

Diaz may have landed more, but he didn't want no more smoke after he got popped, hard. Robbie was eating those punches like he was trying to gain weight. Now, if Diaz held up against the pressure and could avoid those damaging blows then after 5 rounds, Diaz could have gotten the W. But, he may have overestimated his conditioning and probably underestimated how much it would take to be competitive against a relatively active fighter. You can tell Robbie trained for 5 rounds. I don't think Nick trained much for this fight. He might've worked the bag, some pads and drilled some striking, but I don't think he did much road work or conditioning. Which is a shame, because the skills are there, but not much else.

Back