Nick Diaz will have fought GOAT's from 3 different weight classes

Why BJ Penn Is So Respected

Read that and then come back to me, playboy.

It is obvious you weren't there for the BJ Penn era to understand the relevance of his wins.

The post is from 2007. The next 7 years provided one opportunity after another from Penn to solidify his status as an all-time great. Penn just failed to deliver too many times. He isn't THE GOAT and he isn't the lightweight GOAT.

The post is from 2007. The next 7 years provided one opportunity after another from Penn to solidify his status as an all-time great. Penn just failed to deliver too many times. He isn't THE GOAT and he isn't the lightweight GOAT.

SO who is the LW goat?
Pettis with 2 title defences? :rolleyes:

It is obvious you weren't there for the BJ Penn era to understand the relevance of his wins.

Lol don't toss me an article, "playboy" won't read it, because "playboy" doesn't have to.

I understand the relevance of BJ's wins, so no, it isn't obvious. I appreciate the attempt at blindly discrediting me though.

There's a difference between not understanding the relevance of BJ's wins, and understanding the relevance of wins of a fighter such as Pettis. If you go back to what I just said, I completely comprehend how much of an impact BJ Penn has made on the sport. Finishing Gomi as he was entering his prime, brutalizing a prime Diego Sanchez when nobody can find a way to finish him even today, no question he was a scary fighter. He was the best at his time, no question. But you have to recognize how the sport as grown as a whole. Calling BJ the GOAT lw today, imo, is ridiculous. The sport outgrew him.

while Lawler isnt in any GOAT contention, he is another champ on the Diaz kill list.

and only won against the fw guy

SO who is the LW goat?
Pettis with 2 title defences? :rolleyes:

image_crop.php

while Lawler isnt in any GOAT contention, he is another champ on the Diaz kill list.

Lawler and Frank Shamrock are guys that held meaningful titles in two weight-classes so they are both high quality opponents. I may not always agree with what Diaz says ,but he is a warrior that I have a lot of respect for.

There was really only a problem when considering BJ Penn as one of the P4P fighter,
but to not even consider him as the LW GOAT is just stupid.

You guys can't even name another guy who you would call LW GOAT.

Comparing a new guy to BJ Penn is like comparing Robbie Lawler to Royce Gracie.

He fought everyone and dominated them at the time.
What else did u expect him to do? travel through time and fight kabib, Pettis and other young bucks during his prime??

Don't talk sheit about the only man that ever gave us a super fight in UFC history.
All other champs are too puss to move up.

Am I talking shit? God you guys are on BJ's nuts so hard. I have an incredible amount of respect for BJ and what he's done.

There was really only a problem when considering BJ Penn as one of the P4P fighter,
but to not even consider him as the LW GOAT is just stupid.

You guys can't even name another guy who you would call LW GOAT.

Comparing a new guy to BJ Penn is like comparing Robbie Lawler to Royce Gracie.
I don't think it's THAT wide of a gap. He arguably beat Frankie Edgar the first time

Lol don't toss me an article, "playboy" won't read it, because "playboy" doesn't have to.

I understand the relevance of BJ's wins, so no, it isn't obvious. I appreciate the attempt at blindly discrediting me though.

There's a difference between not understanding the relevance of BJ's wins, and understanding the relevance of wins of a fighter such as Pettis. If you go back to what I just said, I completely comprehend how much of an impact BJ Penn has made on the sport. Finishing Gomi as he was entering his prime, brutalizing a prime Diego Sanchez when nobody can find a way to finish him even today, no question he was a scary fighter. He was the best at his time, no question. But you have to recognize how the sport as grown as a whole. Calling BJ the GOAT lw today, imo, is ridiculous. The sport outgrew him.

What a joke. This is same argument people dropped when Lesnar won a few fights only to have his ass handed to him. Some legacy. Seems like you should understand that bj entering the ufc young and fresh in the current state of fighters would be the exact same. This is why he is considered one of the greatest ... Still.
You are entitled to your opinion (obviously) but the same could be said every two years in MMA. It isn't a current argument, it is an old one. Prime Fedor still wins. Prime Penn is still one of the greatest of a sport that simply has not outgrown him, he grew old.

That was the best thread I've read on sherdog. There have been a lot of times where I've had to explain why he's so amazing but have never been able to put it like that!
Thanks!

Back