1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Nick Diaz thinks Robbie Lawler fight is too easy: "I already beat him"... aims for Usman

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TorontoTO, Sep 22, 2021.

1. TorontoTO Brown Belt

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/32260376/nick-diaz-says-want-robbie-lawler-fight-resentment-mma

"All the people around me and all the money and the sponsors, they won't let me get away from fighting," Diaz said. "There's things I could do, but that's not gonna work out. I might as well just go and take my punches. ... I don't want to look back and say, 'Why did I not just do it?' I don't feel great. I feel great to fight. I don't feel great about everything [else]. If I don't do this, I don't know how I'm going to feel about myself."

Diaz, 38, said during his time off he had plans to open a gym and teach students, and maybe even travel around some and do seminars. But he said things didn't work out with the business partners he was dealing with and that the plans were "fake." That is what led him back to fighting.

"It's just what I do," Diaz said. "I tried to get away from it, but really it's just kind of inevitable."

Actually, Diaz went a step further and said he shouldn't even be fighting Lawler in the first place. Diaz has already beaten Lawler -- way back in 2004 -- and the Stockton, California, native believes he should actually be challenging Kamaru Usman for his UFC welterweight title. Despite all the doubts, Diaz said he still believes he's the best fighter in the world. Just because he thinks Lawler might beat him doesn't necessarily mean Diaz thinks he'll lose.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

Not a ringing endorsement that this is a good idea.

3. Kryptt ⭍ Dead Belt ⭍ Platinum Member

Sounds like bad business investments/partners screwing him over?

X Factor, Norcim, OlderMan and 8 others like this.
  4. Garnet_StrongerThanYou Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I’m putting money on Lawler now.

Bad attitude. bitter and resentful and doesn’t want to fight.

Doesn’t want to fight!

Humongo, bunt, MGS and 23 others like this.
  5. TorontoTO Brown Belt

Ya this seems like he is being forced to fight again due to partners taking his money, ala Fedor.

6. gaffbyknees2 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

*cancels parlay

Guld, daPROFESSOR, 1s1k and 18 others like this.
  7. Substance Abuse Beer Snob Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Now this is something that would worry you more than a shadowboxing clip.

Humongo, Shenti, HockeyBjj and 27 others like this.
  8. TempleoftheDog Yellow Card Yellow Card

I think anybody expecting to see prime Nick Diaz is in for a rude awakening. Nothing about this is leading to expect anything but an older out of fighting shape guy showing up for a cheque. He’s just lucky in that he’s fighting another past his prime fighter. But, I have to believe Robbie is a lot more motivated.

Edit.
    I can’t believe the guy actually said he deserves to be fighting Usman. That’s the most delusional thing I’ve ever heard a fighter say. It’s beyond ludicrous. No wins in a decade, and lost his last two free TS. Try earning it for once, man.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    BigGing, Coconutwater, MGS and 10 others like this.
  9. Deathbycalfkick Green Belt

Welp time for Nick to start taking that Bob Sapp money. Show up get paid, tap to strikes in less than three minutes.

Also 38?! holy shit, I ask again how did this fight get sanctioned.

Red Dragoniop and 93confirmed like this.
  10. Pierced7681 Silver Belt

Gyms are closing left and right due to covid, of course seminars and travelling aren’t going to be a successful venture right now lol Nick needs money that’s why he’s coming back, nothing more nothing less. He hates fighting, only does it for the money.

11. estranged Silver Belt

For sure betting on Lawler now.

12. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

That interview is classic.

“I don’t know why I’m doing this! Whoever set this up is an idiot.”
    [<dunn][<dunn]

13. Versez Blue Belt

I dont like the sight of that.

14. Siver! Purple Belt

15. Cooliox Steel Belt Platinum Member

Out of context quote much, TS?

"I'm going in there to win," Diaz said of Saturday's bout against Lawler. "Do I feel confident? I never do. I never have. I always feel like I'm going to get trashed out there. Every fight I've ever done. 'How do you feel against Robbie Lawler?' I feel like I'm going to get the s--- beat out of me. And even when I win, I get beat up worse."

Actually, Diaz went a step further and said he shouldn't even be fighting Lawler in the first place. Diaz has already beaten Lawler -- way back in 2004 -- and the Stockton, California, native believes he should actually be challenging Kamaru Usman for his UFC welterweight title. Despite all the doubts, Diaz said he still believes he's the best fighter in the world. Just because he thinks Lawler might beat him doesn't necessarily mean Diaz thinks he'll lose.

"I think I'll beat the s--- out of Usman," Diaz said. "I'll have a better shot against Usman than I do Lawler, just because I already beat Lawler. This doesn't make sense for me to go in and fight Robbie Lawler again.

bunt, EXOICHO, contrail and 14 others like this.
  16. Doughie99 Silver Belt

It sounds like he's doing this for all the wrong reasons, he doesn't really WANT to do it, he seems full of self-doubt.
    well.... I do expect a Lawler victory.

17. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

Luckily he can still KO Lawler without too much work.

Kdup and M.U.S.C.L.E. like this.
  18. Go Brandon Black Belt Platinum Member

It's like prostitution. They hate doing it, but it's the only thing they know.

19. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Typical Nick Diaz. Always sounds depressed and shit. I really wish he didn't feel like he has to do this, but at the same time, it sounds like he wants to do this but also wants to blame it on something else.

I know this business venture fell through, but there's gotta be other opportunities out there for him.

That being said, it's fight week. You're here now. Get that shit out of your head and let's go.

20. ExitLUPin K

How many times has he said this though? This was almost word for word what he said when he was going to fight BJ Penn