Nick Diaz should be fighting bums outside the UFC for millions

Nick's problems in the Lawler fight begin with his Strength and conditioning. He was slow and plodding, but had good defense. His punches had no snap, and his footwork was very basic, but he seemed to get his reads correct. Fundamentals were there, but you can't convince me he did a full camp for this. He definitely didn't do a big weight cut, judging by his overall shape.

The bigger issue that was disappointing, but not unexpected, was his mindset coming into the fight. He saw the writing on the wall and was not going to take any more punishment than he needed to. I don't see this as toughness issue. Nick made a business decision in the cage. He gave what he could inside the cage and it wasn't enough to get the job done. He's not back to sacrifice his brain health for a win, and if I had to speculate, it's because he paid a heavy price for doing this earlier in his career. Now, he's here to show up for a payday, and from the looks of his preparation, he wasn't happy to be there. The excuses afterwards may be true, but that doesn't hide from the fact that Nick didn't want to be back in the cage and was OK losing for a paycheck. Hopefully he can fight out his contract and do what he really wants to do with his life, because obviously this ain't it.

Nick has always been a B-side attraction. I mean, the guy was literally just the 3rd fight on a PPV card. This idea that he is going to sell out stadiums is ludicrous.

being a really strong b-side is valuable. He would be perfect for the clown show boxing stuff. He has skills. is tough. will sell the fight with the mean-mugging and whatever that his fans love so much.

I think he is perfect for that promotion. and he would likely make as much in 1-2 fights as he did during the rest of his career. I doubt Dana will let him do it which is a shame. The circus boxing money can't last that much longer, can it?

I was entertained. Never said I wasn’t. But I did not have crazy expectations going in. Alot of people barely giving Robbie any credit now, were saying he was “completely washed” a week ago.

I just kept saying that if you expect to see the Nick of a decade ago, you’re probably in for a rude awakening. And I believe I was dead on. He had the volume but surely he had way more pop on his punches a decade ago. And until this fight. Not even the biggest Diaz hater would have said that fight would end by Nick verbally submitting.

The talk of Diaz somehow deserving already, or somehow earning a TS by beating Lawler was what really irked me. As a sports fan first and foremost. You need to actually earn a spot in the championship game. I’m not the UFC, and don’t give a shit about ppv numbers. I just want to see every champion fight the next fighter in line.

The only people saying that were Usman and Ali, because they knew it would be a draw, and most likely an easy fight for Usman at this point. (I say most likely because they were saying this before the fight.)

Nick should not be fighting anymore. Unfortunately he seems the type to take a fight every time he runs out of money from his previous fight.

Back