Nick Diaz brings in Glory Champ Artem Levin to prepare for Anderson Silva

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1...raining-glory-champion-artem-levin-kickboxing

Nick Diaz makes his much anticipated return to the UFC later this month as he headlines UFC 183 January 31. For this fight, Diaz takes on the returning Anderson Silva - arguably the greatest striker in the history of MMA. To get ready for the fight, Diaz has brought in an interesting training partner.

Glory Middleweight champion Artem Levin is making his way to Stockton and is helping Diaz prepare for the formidable striking challenge posed by the Spider. Levin has a kickboxing and Muay Thai record of 50-4-1, and is coming off a win in the Glory Last Man Standing PPV tournament; that win earned him Fighter of the Year accolades from many kickboxing writers (including yours truly). He's a top 10 pound for pound fighter in kickboxing today, and will be a great addition to the Diaz camp.

Interestingly, Russian fighter Levin was introduced to the Diaz camp by none other than Joe Schilling. Schilling has trained with the Diaz brothers in the past, and has become friends with Levin through their two fight rivalry in Glory. Here's what Schilling had to say to Michael Stets at MMA Mania about the Diaz/Levin connection:

I want to get Nick the best kickboxers in the world to work with... Levin has a similar height and range and style to Silva's and I think it will be really good work for Nick. Levin is hard to hit, has that herky-jerky head movement like Silva, and also fights as confident as he does. I asked him to come out and he is going to come out a couple of times between now and Nick's fight and we will all spar together.

A serious, world class talent, Levin clearly has something to teach Diaz about fighting Anderson Silva. It will be interesting to see if this helps Diaz deal with Silva's incredible defensive skills.

Looks like Diaz is taking this fight seriously..... Levin is the best 187lb kickboxer on the planet right now and he fights in a style similar to Anderson's

I don't think Levin is similar stylistically to Silva. Not that sparring with him isn't great work to get in, of course.

Good move imo. Levin is a beast and is stylistically similar to Silva.

i hope they did light sparring... diaz had a tough career, having gym wars against pro kickboxers wouldn't be good for his chin shape.
btw artem levin is technically a great choice.

Safe to assume Diaz got lit up in training? lol

Levin is an incredibly gifted striker, great choice

just because you train with the elite doesn't mean he's elite. his skills are average & anderson silva will smash him. mark my words

He should bring Floyd in to teach him how to be a coward

For some one who makes it clear he only takes fights for the paycheck, he does prepare well.

still R.I.P Diaz

im gonna LOL when Diaz uses all this "heavy" training as an excuse for when he loses.....speech would go something like this: Nick Diaz-"yea uhh, i took it too hard, i was tired and beatin up before the fight..%40 at best, Silva didn't bash my skull in, i beat myself"

but what would be even more funny is reading about his fans agreeing with him like if they didn't see it coming

Schilling and now Levin? Impressive training partners.

Nick Diaz is coming to bang.

Anderson wins via brutal clinch knees.

RecentDevotedCoati.gif

Back