Nick Diaz at UFC 266: Anyone worried?

I wouldn't say I'm worried for his health or anything but I'm expecting Nick to look like shit. Too much time off and drinking.

If you slander a fighter (even subtly) then, yes, you're gonna get hated. That being said, there's less than a handful of Diaz fans in these forums so feel free to go crazy. Everybody else does.

i mean lets be honest, him showing up slow and getting KO'ed is a real possibility..... dude hasn't fought in forever..... Im sure when or if he loses some lil guy gona be like "see i told you he was never good" or something like that... This is for a paycheck, i hope he does well, but my expectations are very low.

<Varys01>
I'm probably going to get hated by the Diaz fans, but is anyone worried we might have an Evander Holyfield situation on our hands here? I mean Nick Diaz showing up out of shape, slow, and getting KTFO. Sure they gave him Lawler who's "past his prime", but I believe Lawler is still one of the best "past his prime" fighters ever, that could still KO many in the division.

Nick Diaz might not be that old, and his private life has been kept hidden most of the time. But what we've seen hasn't been good. There are all the signs of alcohol abuse and even substance abuse, and I would argue CTE considering how he slurs his words.

All I'm hoping is that the Nick Diaz we see is fit. I'd hate to see a legend get destroyed and humiliated.
as a boxing fan you should be ashamed

LOL, for what?

Perfect opponent for someone who does not have a win in a decade. Lawler has looked like Bernie in his last four fights/four years.

">

It might be that the few years out of the sport may be good for his body with less wear and tear, compared to Lawler who's been in so many wars that his body and chin are pretty much shot. It's like a well maintained classic car runs better than a Toyota Camry with 250k miles
I think drinking and drugging take much more of a toll on your health than staying active.

I'm worried for Lawler.
I hope they're able to revive him as fast as they did the last time. If not, could be a bad look for MMA.

Honestly I never liked Nick or cared about him fighting or not fighting or whatever but I do like Nate because he is the piñata of mma

Well Diaz did not make 170 and wants to fight at 185...I guess my fears were justified.
Now Lawler is talking to Dana White and hasn't yet accepted this new deal.

Well, if you asked me 12 or so years ago if this fight would be happening again in 2021 I would have probably laughed in your face.

But overall, im not worried. He stays in good shape. Lawler might even be more shop worn.

He was fine in the recent build up programs. As much as we seen him partying I still have to believe he was eating right and doing his training behind the scenes that he didn’t broadcast.
I always noted that the time he was training with his guys, running hills, cycling etc , the videos he showed were always Nick filming while waiting for all the other guys to catch up to where he was.
I think he’s not as dumb as some like to think, he was eating right and training insane cardio before any of these other fighters. You dont just flush that away

I'm probably going to get hated by the Diaz fans, but is anyone worried we might have an Evander Holyfield situation on our hands here?
wouldn't rule it out, but it isn't gonna be on that level i think

I think Nick gets crushed in this fight....but I will say, his countdown video made me like Nick a little more.

I’m not worried because I’m keeping my expectations low. The gangster version of Diaz has been gone for like 10 years — I expect he’ll look lackadaisical like he did against Anderson Silva.

Meanwhile, other than a quick burst against Askren, Robbie Lawler has shown no urgency or killer instinct in years. So I think this is probably a pretty safe fight for both guys. (And a boring one for the fans.)
Someone might look like shit, or both might look like shit, but boring it will not be.

Back