Nicco Montano on The MMA Hour!

I don’t disagree, but once they are awarded a championship a common set of rules needs to apply. Nicco’s situation was not materially different than Halloways.

Max didn't fail to make weight and wasn't holding up the division for a year.

Don’t know why I expect more from the UFC when it’s fans are as fickle as the company.

Neither Colby nor Nicco nor Cucuy should have been stripped. Doesn’t matter what they did before or on social media or in contract negotiations etc. Fans and the media need to start holding the organization accountable for its eradic and unjust treatment of fighters.

Just wait what happens if khabib pulls out...same things gonna happen...enough of this pulling out of fights..get your training down, so you don't get injured...especially in the last couple of weeks before the fight...hard training should be over at that point.

Max didn't fail to make weight and wasn't holding up the division for a year.

See. You are part of the problem. First off the launch of strawweight has been probably the worst in UFC history? If they wanted Bullet to be champ they should have just handed it to her like they did Ronda. Nicco fought in December last so it has been about 9 months which is not ridiculous. They stopped Max’s weight cut two fights in a row now. I don’t think he should have been stripped either. If Montano’s Medical show a legit issue she should still be champ.

I don’t disagree, but once they are awarded a championship a common set of rules needs to apply. Nicco’s situation was not materially different than Halloways. Colby and Tony had not had significant layoffs and Colby was going to be ready to fight within a month or two of when they wanted him to.

I don't know why you would think that. And I don't know why you think that would be fair.

Why should Holloway, who has fought 18 times with the UFC, defended his belt, and has a long, long, history of fighting regularly, not be given a few months more latitude than someone who just won their belt from the culmination of a reality show and has not set foot in the octagon since?

I fully expect if Holloway has issues making it to the octagon on December 8, he will be stripped.

And Colby, don't even get me started. The whole point of a interim champ is to have title fights when the champ isn't fighting. He should have never been given the interim belt in the first place. But the fact that he was not willing to fight the real champ when he was ready is complete justification for yanking the strap.

As for Tony, if anyone has justification to whine a little, it would be him. He should have never had an interim belt, but he was a super active fighter that came back very quickly from his injury. I hope that does not bite him in the ass.

But the real problem here is fans who think interim champs and TUF finale champs are the same as real champs, or champs who have defended, and worthy of the same consideration. They aren't.

See. You are part of the problem. First off the launch of strawweight has been probably the worst in UFC history? If they wanted Bullet to be champ they should have just handed it to her like they did Ronda. Nicco fought in December last so it has been about 9 months which is not ridiculous. They stopped Max’s weight cut two fights in a row now. I don’t think he should have been stripped either. If Montano’s Medical show a legit issue she should still be champ.

Max didn't have weight cut issues, Nicco did. I agree that they never should have given her the title but they did, and having her sit on it for a year when she can't even make the weight doesn't help the division.

For the record they did let Nicco hold the division hostage for 9 months while she kept having various injuries. Failing to make the weight was the last straw.

Neither Colby or Nicco or Cucuy should have had interim titles or titles in the first place.

There should never have been an interim strap at 170. Colby is nothing more than a contender. They should never have had the TUF final be for the belt. And Cucuy- He deserves to fight for the title to be sure. But fighting Kevin Lee for the interim belt was as absurd as Khabib fighting Al for the strap.
The issue is the title used to mean something that you had to work for. It had status and was only attainable by the best of the best after training your whole life. Now, they throw them out at every turn and they mean nothing. Nicco Montano was 3 and fucking 2 when she got her shot. That is unbelievably pathetic and the duck-duck-goose clown car hour is result of making a tomatoe can TUF competitor a UFC champion.

I don't know why you would think that. And I don't know why you think that would be fair.

Why should Holloway, who has fought 18 times with the UFC, defended his belt, and has a long, long, history of fighting regularly, not be given a few months more latitude than someone who just won their belt from the culmination of a reality show and has not set foot in the octagon since?

I fully expect if Holloway has issues making it to the octagon on December 8, he will be stripped.

And Colby, don't even get me started. The whole point of a interim champ is to have title fights when the champ isn't fighting. He should have never been given the interim belt in the first place. But the fact that he was not willing to fight the real champ when he was ready is complete justification for yanking the strap.

As for Tony, if anyone has justification to whine a little, it would be him. He should have never had an interim belt, but he was a super active fighter that came back very quickly from his injury. I hope that does not bite him in the ass.

But the real problem here is fans who think interim champs and TUF finale champs are the same as real champs, or champs who have defended, and worthy of the same consideration. They aren't.

Completely missing the point. The discussion of who should be champ is different from when a champ should be stripped. Your arguments allow the UFC to do whatever the hell they want. If you make a tournament to crown a champ, the person that wins is the champ. If you make someone an interim champ, they are the interim champ. Under your rationale you could extend it to where a guy wins what is thought of as a wrong decision or because his opponent got pulled at the last minute and he fought a guy not ranked high enough for the belt. The UFC made these 3 fighters champs and they stripped them in circumstances where other fighters have kept their titles. It cannot be discretionary.

Max didn't have weight cut issues, Nicco did. I agree that they never should have given her the title but they did, and having her sit on it for a year when she can't even make the weight doesn't help the division.

Max absolutely had weight cut issues in both instances. Nicco did not sit on the title for a year, it was only about 9 months and she did have a surgery in those nine months if I am not mistaken. Again, the point is consistency, not whether you like her or not.

And again, I don’t think Max should have been stripped either.

The issue is the title used to mean something that you had to work for. It had status and was only attainable by the best of the best after training your whole life. Now, they throw them out at every turn and they mean nothing. Nicco Montano was 3 and fucking 2 when she got her shot. That is unbelievably pathetic and the duck-duck-goose clown car hour is result of making a tomatoe can TUF competitor a UFC champion.

I don't disagree.

But I think by and large fans do not consider interim champions the real champions. For my part, I will not grant an interim champ any more status than a top 3 contender. That's all they are. That's all Conor was before he beat Aldo. That's all Colby is/was. That's all Tony is/was.

Max absolutely had weight cut issues in both instances.

You're wrong. He had a leg injury and then concussion symptoms. That's different then your body shutting down because of cutting.

Nicco did not sit on the title for a year, it was only about 9 months and she did have a surgery in those nine months if I am not mistaken. Again, the point is consistency, not whether you like her or not.

The UFC allowed her to sit on the title for 9 months through various injury issues. Her failing to make weight was the last straw. The division needs to move on.

Completely missing the point. The discussion of who should be champ is different from when a champ should be stripped. Your arguments allow the UFC to do whatever the hell they want. If you make a tournament to crown a champ, the person that wins is the champ. If you make someone an interim champ, they are the interim champ. Under your rationale you could extend it to where a guy wins what is thought of as a wrong decision or because his opponent got pulled at the last minute and he fought a guy not ranked high enough for the belt. The UFC made these 3 fighters champs and they stripped them in circumstances where other fighters have kept their titles. It cannot be discretionary.

Oh- I get the point. You are just wrong on all counts. You think that somehow there should be some 'preserve inviolate' rule that applies equally to all interim champs and champs. This notion is, of course, complete horseshit.

It is horseshit because it removes a lot of factors that need factoring. A champ with 20 UFC fights and 4-5 title defenses should get a little more leeway than a champ that won their belt off a TUF finale and has never defended it.

And the UFC should remove interim straps from contenders if they are not fighting the champ. If you have a champion fighting, there is no reason to have an interim champ.

lol I still associate Ariel with the MMA hour. I thought Nicco and Helwani buried the hatchet.

and by all accounts she told them prior to signing the contract that following all her medical issues, being on weight for september was going to be hard.

but the pressured her into taking the fight anyway (no doubt pressure from valentina)

what should have probably happened is they gave her full time to recover and had Shevchenko v Eubanks for an interim belt, then have her fight the winner late in the year.

and by all accounts she told them prior to signing the contract that following all her medical issues, being on weight for september was going to be hard.

but the pressured her into taking the fight anyway (no doubt pressure from valentina)

what should have probably happened is they gave her full time to recover and had Shevchenko v Eubanks for an interim belt, then have her fight the winner late in the year.
That was just a built in excuse if anything. Nicco wanted nothing to do with Valentina and she weaseled her way out.

She was rightfully stripped, and she should be cut.

That's funny because previously Nicco had cussed out Ariel and called him a liar for reporting the UFC was growing impatient with her. Which one is it?

UFC shot themselves in he foot by wanting to bolster TUF ratings so they attached a UFC Title to it but were just too cheap to pay the best fighters. You know you are deep in Fuckistan when one of the two best fighters on the show is Roxanne Modaferri, who was synonymous with being the worst fighter to ever be in the UFC prior to her being cut.

What did UFC expect would happen if they handed a local level tomatoe can a UFC title and then tell them that they had to fight an absolute killer in a stadium with millions watching? Of course she will stall and try to hold on to that title for as long as possible. This is now TWO inaugural women champs stripped owing to ducking the perceived imminent champ. Montano would have a lot more marketability if she could fight like GDR tho.

Back