NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

Wtf? I haven't talked about MacKinnon since before the Avalanche were eliminated. Lmao. The entire post was about Bobrovsky being robbed. But since you bring it up, maybe if McDavid showed up at all in games 1-3, 6, 7, he'd be doing what MacKinnon has already done... Hoist the cup.
*shrugs

I think the guy who just broke a Gretzky scoring record that was universally thought to be unbreakable was a good choice for the Smythe. He's young. Cups will come. Dominant and the best player in hockey.

*shrugs

I think the guy who just broke a Gretzky scoring record that was universally thought to be unbreakable was a good choice for the Smythe. He's young. Cups will come. Dominant and the best player in hockey.
Well, McDavid broke it because he played 6 full games more than Gretzky. Wayne also had more goals in that playoff run and accumulated a higher point total in 6 less games. There shouldn't be any comparison to that run, or Gretzky at all. When Gretzky had 31 assists, that wasn't even his best playoff run.

Also, Edmonton won several games throughout the playoffs when McDavid would disappear. To act like he has nobody is also a little ridiculous. They won games in spite of their two stars (Draisaitl and McDavid) doing nothing. They are a very solid squad that are overshadowed because one player on the team is the darling of the NHL and it's easier to blame the rest of the team even when he doesn't show up at all. MacKinnon has nothing to do with it. Don't know why you brought him up. Bob was robbed of the Smythe. It should never go to a losing team, especially when the guy who won it did nothing for the final two games.

Last edited:
Well, McDavid broke it because he played 6 full games more than Gretzky. Wayne also had more goals in that playoff run and accumulated a higher point total in 6 less games. There shouldn't be any comparison to that run, or Gretzky at all. When Gretzky had 31 assists, that wasn't even his best playoff run.

Also, Edmonton won several games throughout the playoffs when McDavid would disappear. To act like he has nobody is also a little ridiculous. They won games in spite of their two stars (Draisaitl and McDavid) doing nothing. They are a very solid squad that are overshadowed because one player on the team is the darling of the NHL and it's easier to blame the rest of the team even when he doesn't show up at all. MacKinnon has nothing to do with it. Don't know why you brought him up. Bob was robbed of the Smythe. It should never go to a losing team, especially when the guy who won it did nothing for the final two games.
*shrugs

You are an island in that opinion.

The entire sports world is talking about how amazing it is to break a Gretzky scoring record in this era of goaltending and defense as opposed to the era of the odd man rush against a standup goalie with small pads twice a shift.

You like to focus on the last 2 games and ignore the fact that games 4 and 5 were also do or die games just as important to the Oilers continuing as games 6 and 7.

The stat line will be remembered as "Mcdavid scored 8 points in 4 do or die games to come within a 1 goal loss in the final game while breaking a record thought to be unbreakable against better competition".

Mcdavid is already rightfully thought of by most to be the 5th player on the NHL mount Rushmore best ever alongside Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux. As much as you try to push the idea that he is a Marcel Dionne, nobody is going to buy it and history won't look at it that way.

Bob was robbed of the Smythe? Lmao, he had basically the same stats in the playoffs as Skinner lol. Bob received one first place vote and two 3rd place votes. He was never winning the Smythe

So I thought I didn't care either way

But I loved 90s power forward hockey, Keith Tkachuk was my fave player and I always hated that he was never a wing and never won a cup.

I got a bit misty when they showed him in the crowd and realized that Florida winning made me feel lot happier than I thought it would. That must have been an amazing moment for him and I'm glad i got to see it.

Bob was robbed of the Smythe? Lmao, he had basically the same stats in the playoffs as Skinner lol. Bob received one first place vote and two 3rd place votes. He was never winning the Smythe
It's a strange opinion.

If you go to HFboards, reddit or any hockey conversation site, the panthers fans supermajority believes Barkov was better and more important than Bobrovsky for the Smythe and every poll on the main boards also has Barkov winning over Bob, but losing to McDavid

Wtf. Walman gone for capspace. I hate this. I'm struggling to understand atm.

Seider and Raymond gonna get 200 million.

Stevie's got a busy summer coming.

The stat line will be remembered as "Mcdavid scored 8 points in 4 do or die games to come within a 1 goal loss in the final game while breaking a record thought to be unbreakable against better competition".

Mcdavid is already rightfully thought of by most to be the 5th player on the NHL mount Rushmore best ever alongside Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux. As much as you try to push the idea that he is a Marcel Dionne, nobody is going to buy it and history won't look at it that way.

What a convenient stat line to dance around the fact that he did nothing in the absolute biggest moment.

He's a fantastic player. But everybody is desperate for him to win a Cup so badly so they can justify ranking him with the top tier and they wear it on their sleeve. Just look at our discussion. I make one post about Bobrovsky being more deserving of the Conn Smythe and somehow MacKinnon is brought into it while McDavid is being celebrated as though he hoisted the cup. Pretty wild shit.

It's a strange opinion.

If you go to HFboards, reddit or any hockey conversation site, the panthers fans supermajority believes Barkov was better and more important than Bobrovsky for the Smythe and every poll on the main boards also has Barkov winning over Bob, but losing to McDavid
Here is how the votes went,

Connor McDavid, Edmonton: 83 points
Aleksander Barkov, Florida: 46 points
Gustav Forsling, Florida: 8 points
Sergei Bobrovsky, Florida: 7 points
Zach Hyman, Edmonton: 3 points
Evan Bouchard, Edmonton: 2 points
Stuart Skinner, Edmonton: 2 points
Carter Verhaeghe, Florida: 2 points

I don’t get the love for Bob, he was good but nothing special. He and Skinner had dam near identical stats and Skinner was shit in almost the entire playoffs.
Saying Bob was Roy esque is fucking hilarious

Did you notice that in the 3 bad games Bobrovsky had, the Panthers lost terribly? Did you notice that every game Bobrovsky was locked in, he had multiple shutouts and an unreal save percentage? Did you also notice the Panthers D collapsing half a dozen times in this series and putting Bobrovsky in a ton of breakaway situations?

Watch the game, not the stat sheet.

Did you notice that in the 3 bad games Bobrovsky had, the Panthers lost terribly? Did you notice that every game Bobrovsky was locked in, he had multiple shutouts and an unreal save percentage? Did you also notice the Panthers D collapsing half a dozen times in this series and putting Bobrovsky in a ton of breakaway situations?

Oh I watched, Bob is good, nothing special.

Bummmed out about Walman. He's from my area. Played at my home rink, while I was working there too. Playing with Mortiz, taking heavy minutes on my team... Now sent to San Jose to rot, and the Wings paid to get rid of him.

Stevie must have another card to play..right?

Com'on Stamkos.............

He's a Stanley Cup champion. Much better than getting a participation trophy for being the NHL darling.

Who is making the argument against that? Thought we were talking about the Smythe?
lol NHL darling? He is hands down the best player on the planet.

So I thought I didn't care either way

But I loved 90s power forward hockey, Keith Tkachuk was my fave player and I always hated that he was never a wing and never won a cup.

I got a bit misty when they showed him in the crowd and realized that Florida winning made me feel lot happier than I thought it would. That must have been an amazing moment for him and I'm glad i got to see it.
The Tkachuk Brothers are a rarer breed these days. Sons of a rich rough nosed hockey player

When I was a kid, most of the people playing hockey were the sons of tradesmen, farmers, labourers, roughnecks, derrick hands, etc, etc, etc. Plenty of those guys were pretty rough customers and raised sons who weren't far off the mark in that way, too.

The biggest feeder of talent to junior hockey is the Greater Toronto Hockey League, and if you have a son talented enough to play in it, you'll be spending about $45,000 per year, just in fees, for the kid to play. You haven't yet bought equipment or travelled or anything else, and the expense is similar in every elite youth hockey league across the Dominion.

Due to that kind of expense, what are the occupations of the players' fathers now? Investment bankers, stock brokers, lawyers, doctors, etc. You still get some kids who are pretty rough around the edges, but there's just bound to be a lot less of them now due to the differences in upbringing between them and players of the past.

We did. So did the voters and most hockey fans. The journalists who voted sat in the press boxes at the arena and watched all these games. heir entire job is to watch and comment on hockey.

Barkov is almost universally being called 2nd place for the Smythe, with Bob way behind both. Panthers fans and the supermajority on every hockey discussion site agree on that.

"McDavid has played through an abdominal injury that likely requires surgery.” While Draisaitl is believed to be dealing with broken rib and finger"

Meanwhile in the NBA

"Ow my shoulder"

C_Kfk9.gif

"McDavid has played through an abdominal injury that likely requires surgery.” While Draisaitl is believed to be dealing with broken rib and finger"

Meanwhile in the NBA

"Ow my shoulder"

C_Kfk9.gif
Hockey is easily the toughest sport. Gabriel Landeskog played through an injury that required surgery after the Avs won the Cup and he hasn't played a game since the day they won it. That was two years ago. I enjoy basketball but those dudes are brittle.

Red Wings defense at the moment

Ben Chariot - Justin Holl
Olli Matta - Jeff Petry

crying-man-sad.gif

Hockey is easily the toughest sport. Gabriel Landeskog played through an injury that required surgery after the Avs won the Cup and he hasn't played a game since the day they won it. That was two years ago. I enjoy basketball but those dudes are brittle.
Real talk.
Remember how many injuries Bergeron had in one playoff?
It was like ruptured spleen, broken ribs, tenanus, AIDS, broken freaking neck, etc, etc.

Back